autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Polisher question for newbie

Hi, I apologize if this is not the correct thread...I posted in a couple other threads. I'm brand new to polishing. I've done it once by hand, but curious about getting a polisher.

1. Is there a difference between dual action and random orbital polishers, or are they the same? If they are the same, what's with the 2 "names"?

2. Is it worth getting a mini polisher? I have a daily driver sedan and I know it's useful for smaller areas, but I'd rather not have 2 polishers if doing it by hand is worth it.

3. Are the griots backing plates any good for their polishers, or should I get something else? Any suggestions for a backing plate for the PC7424XP?

4. I have some slight swirls mostly on my hood, any liquids that is the best to remove? I do use the Mothers 3 step Ultimate Wax system.

5. Does anyone polish by hand some times and with a polisher other times, or is that just dumb lol

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm brand new. We all gotta start somewhere!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes Mike Hoekstra, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher question for newbie

1. Is there a difference between dual action and random orbital polishers, or are they the same? If they are the same, what's with the 2 "names"?

No the are the same. No idea the 2 names.

2. Is it worth getting a mini polisher? I have a daily driver sedan and I know it's useful for smaller areas, but I'd rather not have 2 polishers if doing it by hand is worth it.

Personally I 100% think it’s worth it makes it faster and shortens work load over doing by hand. Better results too. The griots g8 is not to expensive.

3. Are the griots backing plates any good for their polishers, or should I get something else? Any suggestions for a backing plate for the PC7424XP?

Their backing plates are solid and no need to replace on Griots machine. If you don’t already have a PC get the Griots. The new g9 is designed and ergonomically better

4. I have some slight swirls mostly on my hood, any liquids that is the best to remove? I do use the Mothers 3 step Ultimate Wax system.

If swirls are light and moderate what you have should work. If buying i like CarPro essence and the Griots BOSS creams

5. Does anyone polish by hand some times and with a polisher other times, or is that just dumb lol

Hand polish hard to reach places (under door handles and spoilers) but will polish anywhere polisher will fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes dgage, Thomkirby, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChasKSC View Post
    Hi, I apologize if this is not the correct thread...I posted in a couple other threads. I'm brand new to polishing. I've done it once by hand, but curious about getting a polisher.

1. Is there a difference between dual action and random orbital polishers, or are they the same? If they are the same, what's with the 2 "names"? They are one in the same. No difference than calling a rim a wheel or vice versa.

2. Is it worth getting a mini polisher? I have a daily driver sedan and I know it's useful for smaller areas, but I'd rather not have 2 polishers if doing it by hand is worth it. If you can afford it, it would be nice to have.

3. Are the griots backing plates any good for their polishers, or should I get something else? Any suggestions for a backing plate for the PC7424XP? Why not get a Griot that comes with a backing plate and a lifetime warranty?

4. I have some slight swirls mostly on my hood, any liquids that is the best to remove? I do use the Mothers 3 step Ultimate Wax system. If it works by hand it should work by machine.

5. Does anyone polish by hand some times and with a polisher other times, or is that just dumb lol Not me, unless I'm applying a paste wax.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm brand new. We all gotta start somewhere!Good luck!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.

The Porter Cable PC7424XP might not be the latest and greatest, the prettiest, or most ergonomic, but it is a durable machine that will last, versatile, and capable for polishing corrections.

Yes, you'd have to buy separate backing plates, the Lake Country Backing Plates are durable, dependable, and not too expensive.

You can outfit the 7424XP with 5.5", 4", and even 3" Pads of choice by merely switching to the appropriate sized backing plate. (Those would be 5", 3.5", and 2-7/8")

It is the one sole machine that one can get by with and use safely.

It pretty much covers all basic bases. It is a machine that even though over time you might want to buy something different to either compliment, or a machine to handle certain tasks like ultra small areas, the 7424XP is a capable machine worth having and keeping IMO.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Hi, I apologize if this is not the correct thread...I posted in a couple other threads.
    Yeah... I deleted the other 3 duplicates. In the forum world - you only need to make ONE thread.

I'm brand new to polishing. I've done it once by hand, but curious about getting a polisher.
    ALL of us were new to polishing at one time so you're in good company.

Same type of tool, different people use different words.

There is a HUGE difference between a free spinning RANDOM orbital polisher and a GEAR-DRIVEN ORBITAL polishers. Notice how the word random is missing when I typed out the second type of tool?

You can tackle small areas or thin panels by hand. Just lower your expectations a little.

The new Griot's 5" backing plates are very well designed. But the simple Lake Country 5" backing plate will work for years with no problems. Backing plates are the least of your worries. Abrasive Technology is the NUMBER #1 factor you want and need to be concerned with.

If you're a Mothers guy, then get the Mothers Professional Finishing Polish - it should do the trick.

I do. Here's a recent example.

How-to Remove Fingernail Scratches Behind Door Handles

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm brand new. We all gotta start somewhere!

Thanks!

No such thing as a dumb question...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!