autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

What happens to ceramic as it ages?

Maybe this has been asked before, but what happens to ceramic coating as it ages? Obviously it loses some of its magic, but do you just add a new coat on top as it ages? I have used ceramic before, but never kept a car long enough to have it wear out. Getting ready to install gtechnic Halo to my Expel and EXO to my paint. It’s a garage queen and I’ll keep up with their ceramic detailer. I assume I will get a year to 3 years out of them. Just curious if it just goes away, or should I plan to remove it before reinstalling it or just prep and reapply.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happens to ceramic as it ages?

Quote Originally Posted by Al D View Post
    Maybe this has been asked before,
    but what happens to ceramic coating
    as it ages?
    •The Second Law of Thermodynamics,
    and its accompanying element known
    as Entropy, have begun their destructive
    roles—this time matched up against a
    Ceramic as their “new opponent”.

-Entropy, along with washing/drying
    the car; Sun exposure; salt; dirts;
    and environmental fallout (among other
    factors), are constantly attacking and
    breaking down vehicles’ LSPs/protection.
    -Nothing is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Al D View Post
    Obviously it loses some of its magic,
    but do you just add a new coat on
    top as it ages?

I have used ceramic before, but
    never kept a car long enough to
    have it wear out.

Getting ready to install gtechnic Halo
    to my Expel and EXO to my paint. It’s
    a garage queen and I’ll keep up with
    their ceramic detailer.

I assume I will get a year to 3 years out
    of them. Just curious if it just goes away,
    or should I plan to remove it before
    reinstalling it or just prep and reapply.
    •If you wait long enough...
    -Ceramics ‘will just go away’.
    (see above ”Laws”)

•As to the installation/re-installation of Ceramics:
    -IMO it’s always a Best Practice to adhere to the
    products’ Manufacturers’ recommendations and
    instructions.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes John U, Mike Hoekstra, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

re-polish when re-applying. you'll benefit by removing road grime/film, correcting any marring and generally freshening up the paint and overall gloss levels. especially if it's been a couple years.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    re-polish when re-applying. you'll benefit by removing road grime/film, correcting any marring and generally freshening up the paint and overall gloss levels. especially if it's been a couple years.
    This.

Until late October, my car had been wearing CanCoat for a year. Even though the coating was still performing pretty well, I could tell it was not looking it's best despite being well maintained. While polishing everything out, it was easy to see where I was working. The metal flake in the paint was more visible and all of the surfaces were noticeably more shiny.

In the world of multi-year coatings, I don't know if I'd ever let them run their full course. For a garage queen you can probably go much longer than a daily driver, but at some point they will need a little care for the reasons mentioned above.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

Completely agree with the above and specifically when the context is a Daily Driver.

The thread starter states his car is a Garage Queen,

Quote Originally Posted by Al D

It’s a garage queen

For a Garage Queen, you don't really need to worry about Road Film or Traffic Film because you don't drive this car on a daily basis nor in the rain. Road Film comes from and builds-up from driving in the rain.

I explain the what, when, where, why and how here,

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

So theoretically, with a Garage Queen, the coating should LAST as LONG as the manufacturer states and LOOK GOOD as long, (that's 2 things), as the manufacturer advertises as long as you TOUCH it carefully.

This article talks about the topic of TOUCHING the paint.

How long will a ceramic coating last on my car?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This.

Until late October, my car had been wearing CanCoat for a year. Even though the coating was still performing pretty well, I could tell it was not looking it's best despite being well maintained.

While polishing everything out, it was easy to see where I was working. The metal flake in the paint was more visible and all of the surfaces were noticeably more shiny.

In the world of multi-year coatings, I don't know if I'd ever let them run their full course. For a garage queen you can probably go much longer than a daily driver, but at some point they will need a little care for the reasons mentioned above.

And your observations mimic my observations. That is, over time, no matter WHAT you use to protect the paint - if the car is a daily driver it's going to get a film of dirt that is IMPACTED ONTO the paint and it does not wash off.

Even if it did wash off, (lots of experts state you can remove road or traffic film with high alkaline detergent washes), EVEN if it could be washed off, the paint is NEVER going to look as good as it will if you simply re-polish. Mechanically abrade the paint using GREAT ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY and you WILL restore that super high definition high gloss glistening appearance like you did when you previously did this for prepping the paint for whatever it is you applied the last time you sealed the paint.

And one of the things I try to do in my career is take my deep thoughts about these topics and express them in informative articles that we collectively can all discuss and then at some point come to a consensus. I have not read through this entire article recently to see if a consensus was formed but for what it's worth - from the year 2018 - I'd say this is around the "Tipping Point" where the unwashed masses finally caught up with we in the online car detailing world - and they have all learned what a "coating" is as compared to a wax or sealant.

The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Multi-year coatings are great. The protection lasts for years.

But don't confuse LONG LASTING PROTECTION to also mean the paint will LOOK GREAT for years and by this I mean, look just like it did the day you installed the coating.

Nothing lasts forever, not even you and I. Like Bob shared above, everything is in a state of chaos - everything is breaking down. Nothing gets better and better with time except wine and quality spirits, then you open the bottle and drink em and they stop getting better and better.

Post Thanks / Like

What Funx said. The coating will eventually just wear off like any other protective coating or sealant. It needs to be maintained with regular washing/decontaminating per the coating brand specs for warranty. It also needs to be "recharged" for lack of a better term with a recommended LSP per the manufacturer. I.E. in the Dr. Beasley's lineup, Advance Coat needs to be applied quarterly to keep the hydrophobic properties of the coating intact.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike and all.
    Kind of what I thought, but nice to get confirmation.