autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What Level Of Finish Can I Get With the LC Orange CCS Light Cutting Pads And BF One Step

Coming up soon I will be performing a one step polish package on my good friend's Black Chevrolet Suburban. Of course I won't know for certain until I can perform a test spot, but I strongly suspect that I may need to resort to my light cutting pads and BF One step as the paint looks pretty swirled out to me. I'll post some pics up here soon.

My question is, do you think I'll need to follow up with a polishing pad or will this combo finish out nicely without the need for follow up steps? The orange CCS pads have a cut level of 6 and a finish level of 6.

Perhaps if I roll with this combo I can use lighter pressure and finish out a little nicer?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Level Of Finish Can I Get With the LC Orange CCS Light Cutting Pads And BF One Step

Good luck Jacob. It's a Suburban (lots of real estate) and BLACK.

3. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Level Of Finish Can I Get With the LC Orange CCS Light Cutting Pads And BF One Step

•I personally don’t ever plan to follow-up a
    one-step/AIO with any other polishing step(s).
    -That would be, IMO, “working backwards”.

-However, as we all know to be true: “the best
    laid plans of mice and men often go awry”.

•Stay in good cheer...
    -A “Test Spot” will tell the tale-of-the-tape.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

5. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what machine are you going to use?

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An orange pad with an AIO will produce an acceptable finish on most paints but a softer pad will produce a slightly better finish.

9. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    Coming up soon I will be performing a one step polish package on my good friend's Black Chevrolet Suburban. Of course I won't know for certain until I can perform a test spot, but I strongly suspect that I may need to resort to my light cutting pads and BF One step as the paint looks pretty swirled out to me. I'll post some pics up here soon.

My question is, do you think I'll need to follow up with a polishing pad or will this combo finish out nicely without the need for follow up steps? The orange CCS pads have a cut level of 6 and a finish level of 6.

Perhaps if I roll with this combo I can use lighter pressure and finish out a little nicer?
    What DA are you using? Forced Oscillation or is it a regular DA? The former will be easier and likely yield better correction quicker as you can apply more pressure but the latter will work so long as you focus on keeping the pad spinning. Anyway, you can probably get 50% correction pretty easily which on a daily driver SUV like that should be solid. The paint isn't soft but rather the harder side of medium. It will finish out great with those pads. Just change them out every other panel or more depending on how bad it is.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

11. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used BF One Step with LC Orange pads on my black Acura TLX and had great success with no need to follow up with anything else, keep in mind Acura’s/Honda’s have fairly soft paint.

I’ve also used it on my wife’s white X3 and had very good success but not as good as the Acura since the X3 has harder paint.

Last year I did my buddies black Audi S4, I did a test spot with BF One Step and Pinnacle Compound and Polish, Pinnacle cut just slightly better so I used it...and I kicked myself in the @ss after about 8-10 hours into it (compound and polish)...I should’ve used BF One Step!!!

Good luck
    Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

13. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    What DA are you using? Forced Oscillation or is it a regular DA? The former will be easier and likely yield better correction quicker as you can apply more pressure but the latter will work so long as you focus on keeping the pad spinning. Anyway, you can probably get 50% correction pretty easily which on a daily driver SUV like that should be solid. The paint isn't soft but rather the harder side of medium. It will finish out great with those pads. Just change them out every other panel or more depending on how bad it is.
    Ok, So I won't be using a forced rotation tool like the Flex BEAST, or SUPA BEAST. The day I FINALLY have one will be a GLORIOUS DAY!!!

Seriously my birthday is coming up! ha ha ha!!!

Any ways I have a non AG free spinning battery operated DA. It's actually been pretty good to me thus far and I have the Flex PiXiE as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    The paint isn't soft but rather the harder side of medium.
    Okie dokie. Also I have 12 of the LC CCS Orange pads so changing out often shouldn't be a problem. I don't have that many for the Flex, I think 4 or 5 but I plan on stopping mid way through and cleaning pads and throwing them on the pad dryer.

Just out of curiosity what do you do when you accidentally drop a pad on the floor. I dropped two last time I polished a Lexus and I regretfully just threw them away as I could see that the face of the pads were totally embedded with contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like

A few comments:

A one step is just that. A ONE STEP! You don’t follow up a one step. If you do it’s more money and called a multi step.

You can get generalizations of what pad may work on the forum but really a TEST SPOT is needed.

I find that sometimes an orange pad may leave micro marring behind. Other times they finish acceptable. Again let the test spot be your guide, not the forums!

When doing a one step, choose the abrasive, pad and machine that remove the most swirls while still leaving behind high gloss. A one step customer will care more about gloss than swirls. Yes a one step will/may leave some swirls remaining. If the customer wants them removed, they must pay for a 2 step.

Honestly a Suburban is a lot of area as mentioned above. I don’t care what brand cordless you have, it’s going to be a chore with that type of tool. It’s worth the money for the Beast just for the time you will save on this job alone. Sounds like you get enough work to justify buying it. You will be blown away with the speed and results when you get it!

Lastly, Good luck!
    Jim

16. Thanks Craig Encinitas, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I one stepped a straight black Tahoe with BF one step and orange hybrid pads with a 3401 and it worked as designed. It didn’t make the car a show car, but took out a lot of swirls and left a nice gloss. I was afraid to go with the orange pad, but my test spot showed me it was the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

18. Thanks Craig Encinitas, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast