autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommended Buffing Pads and Products for a Total Newbie/Novice Performing First Paint Correction with a Griot's Garage G9 with a 5" Backing Plate?

On a Black 2008 Lexus ES350 with what I would classify as deep swirls, scratches, water spots, and severe oxidation. Unfortunately, I have been guilty of letting the car sit outside in the
    elements for a number of years without providing the needed finish/paint maintenance.

I do not currently have any pictures to post, as I wanted to get the process started as soon as I could with this question to you. However, I will be happy to provide pictures if that will help
    you make a more-informed recommendation, so please just let me know if I need to do so.

I have read your
    Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner and Must Have Microfiber! At least my opinion articles, as well as watched quite a few of your videos over the last week, but I still don't feel confident or qualified enough to make this decision, unfortunately, so I was hoping you could recommend your preferred combination of pads and products for this type of correction.

I have a tendency to both over-think and over-engineer everything I do( and I like living my life that way, to be honest ), so I was thinking about using the Wolfgang Über Compound 3.0,
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0, and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, but I'll go with whatever your recommendation may be.

I would also like to take this opportunity to Thank You Sincerely for all of the incredibly-detailed Free Information you have provided to the world for so many years. I, for one, Greatly Appreciate All of Your Time and Efforts in doing so, as I'm sure thousands of others do as well.

Looking forward to your reply when you have the time, Mr. Phillips.

Have a Great Day, Sir!

Todd Clevinger

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommended Buffing Pads and Products for a Total Newbie/Novice Performing First Paint Correction with a Griot's Garage G9 with a 5" Backing Plate

The paint is factory, by the way.

Mike Phillips

Re: Recommended Buffing Pads and Products for a Total Newbie/Novice Performing First Paint Correction with a Griot's Garage G9 with a 5" Backing Plate

Quote Originally Posted by ToddC View Post

I have read your

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner

and

Must Have Microfiber! At least my opinion

articles, as well as watched quite a few of your videos over the last week,

but I still don't feel confident or qualified enough to make this decision, unfortunately, so I was hoping you could recommend your preferred combination of pads and products for this type of correction.

I was thinking about using the

1. Wolfgang Über Compound 3.0
    2. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    3. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

I would HIGHLY recommend the above combination. The compound and medium cut polish are top notch. You will LOVE the results and you can have confidence in the abrasive technology. I've never ever seen a single post, comment or feedback about these to paint correction products.

In fact - if I need to be UBER careful for any type of special or risky paint correction project I will use these products. And in most cases, these two product will correct and finish out on just about ANY paint system. The ONLY time either are too aggressive is when working on super soft paint. And for super soft paint - that's when I use the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. It's NOT a glaze, someone that doesn't know the difference between a glaze and a polish put that name on the label. That's a common problem in our industry so I'm not saying this as a negative just a matter of fact. The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is NOT a glaze but a fine cut polish.

Here's an example of when I used the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze to CORRECT or in other words - remove ALL the swirls and scratches out of some SUPER SOFT PAINT. And NOTE the pad I used. The pad and the product indicate just how soft this paint was....

Original BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT paint - 1996 Porsche 993

Quote Originally Posted by ToddC View Post

I would also like to take this opportunity to Thank You Sincerely for all of the incredibly-detailed Free Information you have provided to the world for so many years.

I, for one, Greatly Appreciate All of Your Time and Efforts in doing so, as I'm sure thousands of others do as well.

Looking forward to your reply when you have the time, Mr. Phillips.

Have a Great Day, Sir!

Todd Clevinger

Thank you very much for the compliment Todd. I sincerely appreciate it. I strive hard to not just answer questions but to use the keyboard to type-out detailed information with pictures and videos that don't just tell you WHAT to do by help you understand WHY to do it (the thing, whatever it is), so you'll have confidence in the information and also understand the process in full. This I believe leads to success in your garage.

Again, thank you... and you can have confidence in the Wolfgang products you chose. The compound and polish are top notch and the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 not only works great but after you apply a thin coat and let if fully dry -it wipes off SUPER EASY. And that's something I always like in any product.

4. Thanks ToddC thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, ToddC liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Here's something I wrote back in 2013. It's worthy of the time to read through the thread.

The Wolfgang Four

Here are four products that will take care of about 99.9% of any exterior paint correction product you'll ever have in your garage.

The Wolfgang Four

What I wrote back then is still just as accurate today.

6. Thanks ToddC thanked for this post
    Likes ToddC liked this post