autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

GM Cayenne metallic

GM Cayenne metallic

Hello Mike,

I would like to say I have read many of your articles and have learned a great deal.

I am thinking about using the 3d coating on my pickup.

My truck is gmc 2015 cayenne metallic color. The powerlock+ seemed to darken it just a little, I am looking for something to bring out the metallic.

Will the 3d coating do that and maybe brighten the paint?

Here is my dilemma, I live in the country on a gravel road. I am thinking a coating that I can rinse off and dry with a blower would be better than the powerlock + and onrww with beadmaker sporadically.

I am open to suggestions. My gmc crewcab was detailed by a pro when I got it used, I could not find one swirl or scratch on it when I purchased it. It was a one owner and very well maintained. I have done an ok job of not swirling it up with the onr and lots of micro fiber rags to wash. It is in need of a polish though.

I am open to suggestions.

I read your review on the 3d coating and 3d one which has me interested. I have a g21 polisher and a torqx which I have some experience.

I was thinking if truck was coated I could use a small sprayer like the ones with a battery and pick up hose with di water and maintenance wash to hose off dust then blow dry with my stihl blower.

I will try and attach pics.

Thank you for your time

GM Cayenne metallic-20200523_143030_copy_1512x2016-jpg

GM Cayenne metallic-20200523_143008_copy_1512x2016-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: GM Cayenne metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Stlchucky View Post

Hello Mike,

I would like to say I have read many of your articles and have learned a great deal.

Welcome to the AGO forum!

Hang tight, typing....

Mike Phillips

Nice looking truck, nice color too....

Mike Phillips

Here is my dilemma, I live in the country on a gravel road. I am thinking a coating that I can rinse off and dry with a blower would be better than the powerlock + and onrww with beadmaker sporadically.
    A coating would make it easy to blast with water and remove a lot of loose dirt.

I was thinking if truck was coated I could use a small sprayer like the ones with a battery and pick up hose with di water and maintenance wash to hose off dust then blow dry with my stihl blower.

Do you have a near-by Coin-Op Car Wash?

Keeping some quarters in your center console and stopping into a Coin-Op is how we "blast" our coated cars clean.

From this article,

Blasting Bird Bombs at the Coin-Op Car Wash!

Then just get on the highway and gun it and she's dry.

I'm not sure a battery operated water sprayer will work. It might,

You don't know what you can do until you try

I read your review on the 3d coating and 3d one which has me interested.

I have a g21 polisher and a torqx which I have some experience.

I've never had much luck maintaining pad rotation on the CG Torxq 10FX and finally gave it to Jim Lafeber of Dr. Beasley's fame for his mid-week detailing classes. (send him about a dozen polishers - all different so this peeps could all try different tools and make up their own mind.

To be honest - sometimes it's hard to beat a simple Porter Cable 7424XP for easy of use and easy to maintain pad rotation.

Because you have a lot of larger flat panels you should be good to go with the Griot's G21 long stroke polisher.

Here's what I would do, make sure you have a good collection of pads for the G21 or the Torqx polisher, you want foam "polishing" pads. and then get a couple of tubes of the Dr. Beasley's NSP 90 and after washing, drying, claying if needed go ahead and machine polish the paint using the NSP 90.

This will remove all the fine swirls and scratches and should also remove some of the medium swirls and scratches. Wipe the residue off really well and then "install" the 3D paint coating. With the DR. B's NSP products you don't have to chemically strip the paint. You can if you want to but you don't have to. You cut out a step.

Or get the 3D One like I show in my review for the 3D paint coating also get the 3D panel wipe. Polish, strip and apply the coating. All 3D products are top notch.

Most important is to have a lot of towels. I try to show pictures of all the towels and pads I go through when I detail cars and I do this on purpose to show others - you need a lot of pads and towels.

Mike Phillips

More....

LOTS OF INFO IN THE BELOW THREAD - CLICK AND READ some of the other links to articles/information I share in it.

Review: 3D Wipe Panel Wipe for Ceramic Coatings

3D Wipe Surface Prep

Mike Phillips

More....

For those reading this into the future - here's my review of the 3D Ceramic Paint Coating - nice stuff.

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

I also share or review the 3D ONE compound/polish.

Loo how many pads I used on the old 2-door Chevy - it has SUPER HARD PAINT.

Mike Phillips

More....

Love this video Yancy and I shot a few years ago. It shows SO MUCH INFO

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

This is my opinion is one of the best videos Yancy and I have ever made together and also one of the easiest to follow, understand and then implement the techniques video on the topic.

While I'm using a PORTER CABLE polisher - all the tips and techniques I share will apply to ANY type or brand of free spinning random orbital polisher.

MOST IMPORTANT?

Dial in your TEST SPOT before buffing out the entire car or truck or SUV etc.

Post Thanks / Like

GM Cayenne metallic

Hello Mike,

I am thinking about using the 3d coating on my pickup.

My truck is gmc 2015 cayenne metallic color. The powerlock+ seemed to darken it just a little, I am looking for something to bring out the metallic.

Will the 3d coating do that and maybe brighten the paint?

I am open to suggestions. My gmc crewcab was detailed by a pro when I got it used, I could not find one swirl or scratch on it when I purchased it. It was a one owner and very well maintained. I have done an ok job of not swirling it up with the onr and lots of micro fiber rags to wash. It is in need of a polish though.

I am open to suggestions.

I read your review on the 3d coating and 3d one which has me interested. I have a g21 polisher and a torqx which I have some experience.

I will try and attach pics.

Thank you for your time

GM Cayenne metallic-20200523_143030_copy_1512x2016-jpg

GM Cayenne metallic-20200523_143008_copy_1512x2016-jpg

3D One is a nice product. It’s quite versatile and pad dependent. Essentially a one and done compounding polish.

You ask about the 3D coating and if it will brighten the paint. A majority of the gloss will come from polishing. A coating is the icing on the cake where it leaves a glassy appearance compared to what you have been using.

Coatings do have a better self cleaning effect but they still get dirty. With that said keep in mind that coatings are prone to water spotting and that spraying off and drying may not be the best option. Just my opinion and experience with using many coatings.

Don’t forget to invest in a panel wipe. Getting the surface clean is key prior to applying the coating to get the maximum performance.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for responding so quickly.
    I appreciate the info, let me go thru it all.

Mike Phillips

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I appreciate the info, let me go thru it all.

That's a lot of info to chew on but if history is any indicator - getting information first and then putting it into action in your garage - you're going to be successful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast