autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oxidation on machined aluminum wheel lip

I just bought some used wheels with a machined aluminum lip that has some oxidation on it. I didn't know if they were clear coated or not so I put some aluminum polish on a rag to see if it would turn black.

It did, however, it left a dark area on the lip instead of bringing back any kind of shine. I tried another area of the lip that the oxidation isn't as bad and the rag did not come back black.

Does this mean there is clear coat on the lip that is coming off in the area I first tried? If so, what should I do to fix it? I'm thinking I might have to sand all the clear coat off and then polish the lips. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Oxidation on machined aluminum wheel lip-wheels-oxidation-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: Oxidation on machined aluminum wheel lip

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1015 View Post

I just bought some used wheels with a machined aluminum lip that has some oxidation on it. I didn't know if they were clear coated or not so I put some aluminum polish on a rag to see if it would turn black.

It did, however, it left a dark area on the lip instead of bringing back any kind of shine.
    Here's your picture,

Try re-wiping the area with a clean towel - sometimes it takes some wiping to remove 100% of any residues and get the area rubbed to shine.

I tried another area of the lip that the oxidation isn't as bad and the rag did not come back black.

Does this mean there is clear coat on the lip that is coming off in the area I first tried?
    Could be. Hard to say without being there.

But as you know, when you rub a polish on BARE aluminum the cloth will turn black.

When you rub a polish on clearcoated aluminum, you may get a little brown as this is dirt or road film coming off but the cloth won't turn black.

It is completely possible to have clearcoated, aluminum rims with missing clear in defined areas.

If so, what should I do to fix it?

I'm thinking I might have to sand all the clear coat off and then polish the lips.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

Sanding down and refinishing ONE wheel is a lot of work and I would say beyond most people's skills, abilities, experience and even tool arsenal. Not saying you can't do it but I am saying I don't think the masses can do this type of wheel restoration.

I would recommend locating the local wheel refinishing company. Show them the wheel and get a quote. Use Skynet to find them or stop into any new car dealership and ask them if they "have a guy".

Also - because this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the advice Mike! I'll try to clean up that spot some more to see if the black goes away.

Thanks for warning me about refinishing the wheels myself before I try and possibly screw them up haha! I'll ask around about wheel refinishing companies in my area and see about getting a quote. The oxidation is not noticeable from a distance, and by the time you get close enough to see it you can see everything else wrong with my car! I'll probably run them for a few months as is until I switch to my winter wheels and then do something about them over the winter.

And thank you for the warm welcome!

Mike Phillips

Thanks so much for the advice Mike! I'll try to clean up that spot some more to see if the black goes away.
    Takes a lot of towels to polish and clean aluminum.

Thanks for warning me about refinishing the wheels myself before I try and possibly screw them up haha!
    Wheels can become very complicated real quick. It's real easy to turn a Mole Hill into a Mountain.

I'll ask around about wheel refinishing companies in my area and see about getting a quote.
    These guys are artists when it comes to repairing damaged wheels.

The oxidation is not noticeable from a distance, and by the time you get close enough to see it you can see everything else wrong with my car!

I'll probably run them for a few months as is until I switch to my winter wheels and then do something about them over the winter.
    That sounds like a great plan.

And thank you for the warm welcome!

It's never fun or a good experience to join any type of forum and not be "welcomed".

I recently joined an FN forum and also a Honda HRV forum, received lots of nice welcomes.