autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler

I just tried in the garage with the light on above and it didn't show the way I want. I'll take pictures in the morning outside and post them. It's about to get dark here now.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mayberry View Post

There is nothing like driving around in a Jeep on a sunny day with the top down.

It feels like hiking, but in a car. Seeing the clouds above and the sun hitting me like I'm outside is an awesome feeling.

I know it's just a car, but I love this thing far more than I can express.

I agree, I love convertibles so much I've cut the top off of two vehicles I've owned, I'd say that's more serious than most people.

I cut the top of this 1959 Cadillac Flattop and did it in a way I could bolt it back on for winter months.

I cut the top off of this 1971 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 and had a custom half cab soft top made for it.

When I moved to Florida from California, I shipped out my old 2-door Jimmy, full convertible. I removed the hardtop and SOLD it while in California.

So yeah, I"m kind of a convertible guy and besides the 1975 Jimmy shown above, I've owned,

1969 Blazer CST - Full Convertible
    1973 Jimmy Full Convertible
    1073 Blazer 2-wheel drive - Full Convertible

But what I meant when I posted this,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

What’s it like dropping the top?

Is...

What's it like to physically disconnect the convertible top where it connects to the top of the windshield frame and then pull it back to top-down state?

Is it cumbersome? Is it easy? Anything funky or well-thought-out?

Been looking at a Jeep to replace my Lexus. When we moved to our new Condo, they have a NO TRUCKS ALLOWED rule. So I sold my 1987 Silverado, which I miss every day.

We can however own a Jeep. And out of all the Jeep options, I've been looking at the convertible version of the Jeep Unlimited. We won't have the space or place to put the hardtop, so we're only looking for convertible models.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

But what I meant when I posted this,

Is...

What's it like to physically disconnect the convertible top where it connects to the top of the windshield frame and then pull it back to top-down state?

Is it cumbersome? Is it easy? Anything funky or well-thought-out?

Sorry, misunderstood. In short, it's as easy as can be.

Mine is a 2016 JK Unlimited, and it takes me 2 minutes to drop the top from fully enclosed to wide open and down. Less, if I didn't want to remove the windows and just let them get scratched up.

Putting it up takes a minute longer, just because I have to get the windows reattached to the zippers. And the new JL's from 2018-present, are even faster, from what I hear. I absolutely love it.

I am taking the long way to get anywhere I go. It's amazing to drive.

While I have you, what do you recommend to make the black color have that deep, wet look? I've looked at the Blackfire BlackIce Hybrid Liquid Wax. Is that what you would recommend, or something else?

Mike Phillips

Mine is a 2016 JK Unlimited, and it takes me 2 minutes to drop the top from fully enclosed to wide open and down. Less, if I didn't want to remove the windows and just let them get scratched up.

Putting it up takes a minute longer, just because I have to get the windows reattached to the zippers. And the new JL's from 2018-present, are even faster, from what I hear. I absolutely love it.
    Thanks! I figured as such, but I've never put the top down on one.

Copy that. I miss driving the 1975 Jimmy. It had a 468 Big Block Chevy in it and every time I left the line I would have the back tires spinning and the Jimmy fish-tailing.

While I have you, what do you recommend to make the black color have that deep, wet look? I've looked at the Blackfire BlackIce Hybrid Liquid Wax. Is that what you would recommend, or something else?

That's a really nice product --> Blackfire BlackIce Hybrid Liquid Wax

I tend to use it to top any car I detail with the BLACKFIRE One Step. More protection and high gloss results. Easy to use too.

I find Jeeps a tick on the pain-in-the-butt to detail due to all the small sections and small panels - so not looking forward to this aspect.

Enjoy your Jeep!

Mike Phillips

Thanks! I figured as such, but I've never put the top down on one.

Copy that. I miss driving the 1975 Jimmy. It had a 468 Big Block Chevy in it and every time I left the line I would have the back tires spinning and the Jimmy fish-tailing.

That's a really nice product --> Blackfire BlackIce Hybrid Liquid Wax

I tend to use it to top any car I detail with the BLACKFIRE One Step. More protection and high gloss results. Easy to use too.

I find Jeeps a tick on the pain-in-the-butt to detail due to all the small sections and small panels - so not looking forward to this aspect.

Enjoy your Jeep!

Mike Phillips

Also....

If you haven't already, pick a great vinyl protectant then then thoroughly clean the vinyl top and start maintaining it with something. Not only will it keep it looking great but it will help it to last longer.

I tend to lean towards 303 for exterior vinyl products as this is what they are famous for. I did recently use the RaggTopp vinyl products and RaggTopp has a great reputation for quality product too.

Review: Machine applying RaggTopp Vinyl Cleaner and Protectant - 1967 Camaro Convertible

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also....

If you haven't already, pick a great vinyl protectant then then thoroughly clean the vinyl top and start maintaining it with something. Not only will it keep it looking great but it will help it to last longer.

I tend to lean towards 303 for exterior vinyl products as this is what they are famous for. I did recently use the RaggTopp vinyl products and RaggTopp has a great reputation for quality product too.
    I just thought about this, because today I noticed I got some tire shine overspray on my top when I sprayed my spare tire on the back the other night. I'm cleaning it this week, I hope. What do you think about SoftTopp Vinyl Jeep Top Cleaner & Protectant Kit? Would you use that over regular 303, or is the 303 Protectant just too good to overcome? I use 303 on my boat vinyl and it works. I didn't even think about that for the Jeep top, for some reason. But, the SoftTopp kit caught my eye, as it seems to be made specifically for Jeep tops. Any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like

New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-0ed58e2f-2ea2-49f1-bb64-26dbd8071346-jpegNew (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-78c42858-5f74-4b29-9862-1f3ae3a21b90-jpegNew (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-3b98f667-f92d-4921-94eb-a427dfeb9e5b-jpegNew (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-b9e0b075-6c83-4540-a928-e78e1433fa17-jpeg

Reviving an old thread, but continuing an issue from last year. The Jeep looks amazing when it's clean. But, there are still micro scratches that show in bright sunlight, and when a direct light is shined on it. I don't want to kill myself trying to keep a black Jeep perfect, but I would like to get the scratches out and restore the finish. Attached are 4 pictures. In the one where no direct light is showing, you can see how reflective it is in my garage. But, the others show the small scratches that are all over the Jeep. I'd like to get those out, if possible. Will this require a full cut compound, or will something like a few applications of swirl remover, followed by polish and wax most likely fix it? They aren't deep scratches, but they are visible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12