autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler

I've looked at Jeeps and wanted one since high school. I finally broke down and bought a used '16 Black Unlimited this week. I found a great deal on one in wonderful condition, bone stock and only 25,000 miles. I don't think I've ever been so happy driving around in my life. Last night, I washed, clay barred, used Meguiar's Swirl Remover with a Porter Cable 7424xp, polished using Blackfire AIO, and then applied Meguiar's Quik Spray Wax. I also used pinnacle Onyx Trim Restorer, which did an amazing job on all the trim. The Jeep looks unbelievable. I have two questions, though.

1) I still have some swirl marks where the prior owner, most likely, took it through a car wash. What is my best way to get those out, other than what I've already done? Should I go through the entire process again? A majority of the swirls are gone, but there are still some in the paint.

2) I've read here several times that there are products that do best on black vehicles to give them that wet, deep finished look. I've searched the forums and can't find the threads I remember. For a black vehicle, what is the best polish and/or wax to get that amazing black finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler

Here are a few pictures after detailing it last night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-jeep-1-jpeg   New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-jeep-2-jpeg   New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-jeep-3-jpeg   New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-jeep-4-jpeg   New (to me) Black Jeep Wrangler-jeep-5-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

To remove the swirls your AIO didn’t, you’ll need a more aggressive pad/product that removes more clear coat and therefore levels it better. Tell us what pad you used and if that’s enough you just need a stronger polish, otherwise you might need pads and polish to get it done.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

"Mayberry", I'm still a novice at this polishing and coating stuff, but I gotta tell ya, on my 02TransAm with original black paint I could'nt imagine a blacker deeper shine (and ease of application)than Wolfgang Uber ceramic spray coating. I prepped with Griots fast correcting cream then Griots finishing cream.

Mike Phillips

Looks great!

What’s it like dropping the top?

6. Thanks mayberry thanked for this post
    Likes mayberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, sorry I didn't say in my last post to you, that is an beautiful black reflection on your "new" jeep.

8. Thanks mayberry thanked for this post
    Likes mayberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    To remove the swirls your AIO didn’t, you’ll need a more aggressive pad/product that removes more clear coat and therefore levels it better. Tell us what pad you used and if that’s enough you just need a stronger polish, otherwise you might need pads and polish to get it done.
    I used an orange Lake Country foam pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP polisher. After looking today, I would say I got 2/3-3/4 of the swirls out. Some minor scratches still remain, too. I'm wondering if repeating the same process over again might get the rest of them, or if I need a stronger pad or polish. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Looks great!

What’s it like dropping the top?

The top has been down all week. I cleaned out my garage yesterday to make sure I had room to store the Jeep, just so I don't have to put it up every night. This week looks to be high 70's to mid 80's all week. So, I bought this thing at the perfect time of year.

There is nothing like driving around in a Jeep on a sunny day with the top down. It feels like hiking, but in a car. Seeing the clouds above and the sun hitting me like I'm outside is an awesome feeling. I know it's just a car, but I love this thing far more than I can express.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mayberry View Post
    I used an orange Lake Country foam pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP polisher. After looking today, I would say I got 2/3-3/4 of the swirls out. Some minor scratches still remain, too. I'm wondering if repeating the same process over again might get the rest of them, or if I need a stronger pad or polish. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    That pad should be enough. I would try a bottle of Griot’s Correcting Cream with those pads. If the AIO got most of it, the CC should get it close to perfection. If the paint is soft you might have to refine the finish with the product you used on first attempt but CC finishes really well on most paint jobs.
    Bruno Soares

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deeper scratches need to be tackled with a compound, then cleaned up with a polish generally speaking.

Black paint is beautiful, but it is also like taking on a second job to keep it looking that way.

If you can post pics of what you have left to deal with, it might help us with suggestions.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast