autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

3M Foam Pads with DA Polisher (Compatible?) + Your detailing guide

3M Foam Pads with DA Polisher (Compatible?) + Your detailing guide

Hi there Mike

Thanks for accepting me onto this forum.

First of all whats your latest book on detailing?

Do you have both a book including pictures along with an included DVD? (I live in Australia so preferably a digital copy)

Also I just wanted to know about compatibility of 3M pads and DA Polishers.

I have a DA but not a Rotary Polisher.

I just ordered a UK kit of the 3M perfect It III system which the compound is called Fast Cut Pro (Green lid) the other was the Fine Compound (Yellow lid) then I think the other was the finer polish which is the blue lid.

So as you probably know all the foam pads match to lid colours.

These foam pads have Velcro backing so it looks as though it would be universal to fit on DA Polishers.

Do you have experience or have you tested out any 3M foam pads on a DA polisher?

Want to use the 3M pads but don't really want to have to fork out on a rotary just to use them.

Thanks Mike

Mike Phillips

Re: 3M Foam Pads with DA Polisher (Compatible?) + Your detailing guide

Quote Originally Posted by MartyK View Post

Hi there Mike

Thanks for accepting me onto this forum.

First of all whats your latest book on detailing?

Do you have both a book including pictures along with an included DVD? (I live in Australia so preferably a digital copy)

First - welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I need to update all of my books. It's INCREDIBLY time consuming to TYPE out a book. Heck, it's almost 10:00am this May 4th, Monday morning. I logged into the forum at a little befor 9:00am and after removing spammers, approving real people, (like you), I then answered a new guys questions about single stage paint in a Private Message, (I really hate answering questions in Private Messages because I'm typing out in-depth info for only one set of eyeballs), and then I invested some company time trying to help this new member out,

In my replies in this one thread, I have 4 post and share 8 LINKS to more INFO - not a big deal, but I can do this all day on the forum and there's no typing-time left to update a book, at least not here at work during work hours.

Need Some Help with the Waxing Process

I also have about 50 to 70 more new product reviews to write this year. That's a LOT of GARAGE TIME detailing actual cars so I can write REAL FACTUAL information about the products and how to use them. I don't do Mock-up.

But yeah, I would love to write updated versions for all these books,

1. The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine
    2. The RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing SYSTEM
    3. How to use the FLEX XC 3401 VRG
    4. How to Detail Boats

Since writing the above there's been so many new tools, pads and products introduced.

And "yes" - this time around, all of these books should be E-books or Ibooks.

It's all about typing-time.

Also I just wanted to know about compatibility of 3M pads and DA Polishers.

I have a DA but not a Rotary Polisher.

I just ordered a UK kit of the 3M perfect It III system which the compound is called Fast Cut Pro (Green lid) the other was the Fine Compound (Yellow lid) then I think the other was the finer polish which is the blue lid.

So as you probably know all the foam pads match to lid colours.

These foam pads have Velcro backing so it looks as though it would be universal to fit on DA Polishers.

Do you have experience or have you tested out any 3M foam pads on a DA polisher?

Want to use the 3M pads but don't really want to have to fork out on a rotary just to use them.

Thanks Mike

Are these FLAT pads or the convoluted waffle pad design?

Can you share a picture?

Mike Phillips

I did some searching and found it must be really hard for people to take GREAT pictures to showcase new products?

Here's a TINY pic I found showing your pads and products

The pads are 150mm in diameter which is about 6" in U.S. Standard measurements and "yes" this size will work on most free spinning random orbital polishers.

When it comes to free spinning random orbital polishes, like the Porter Cable 7424XP - and just about any 8mm free spinning polishing in the WORLD is a copy of this polisher. Then here's two articles I just shared with the other guy this morning.

5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

Super thin 5.5" foam buffing pads

And NOTE this article I wrote back in 2010 is when the FIRST THIN FOAM pads were introduced - so it's dated but still accurate in the BIG PICTURE and that is THIN pads spin better than THICK pads on short stroke free spinning random oribital polishers.

Thin is in...

Mike Phillips

What polisher do you have?

DAS6 ? Or a Variant?

These are like the old Griot's G6 and in my experience powerful.

When it comes to pad design, it's real simple.

Flat pads are best.

Anytime you introduce a design to the face of the pad you introduce a potential problem.

I was calling on body shops in the late 1980s when 3M "invented" their convuloted waffle pads and I said they were a bad idea back then and I stand by that today.

BUT - if that's what you have to work with - then go with it. They will work, it's just you don't need that funky camera-case foam style pad for any reason that makes sense to buff out FLAT body panels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What polisher do you have?

DAS6 ? Or a Variant?

These are like the old Griot's G6 and in my experience powerful.

When it comes to pad design, it's real simple.

Flat pads are best.

Anytime you introduce a design to the face of the pad you introduce a potential problem.

I was calling on body shops in the late 1980s when 3M "invented" their convuloted waffle pads and I said they were a bad idea back then and I stand by that today.

BUT - if that's what you have to work with - then go with it. They will work, it's just you don't need that funky camera-case foam style pad for any reason that makes sense to buff out FLAT body panels.

Hi Mike

I just literally 5 mins ago purchased this:

Shine Mate 15mm Polisher

– Waxit Car Care

I am sure with your experience and knowledge in the industry you are no doubt familiar with these. Here in Australia we are very limited with brands like Gruits, Flex, Porter Cable and Meguiars DA polishers.

I'll give you a bit of an idea of what I am doing. I am not a professional I am just someone at home trying to repair damage I very stupidly done to my car bonnet (Hood). Basically what happened was my Dad was emptying to paint gun outside after painting the house walls. Wind took the paint residue quite a distance and it landed on my silver car. The car got covered in white paint. I could not egt it off with hot soapy water and a soft cloth so I very silly and used a dish scourer to remove it.. yes it removed it.. and scratched the hell out of it.

I was then advised by a friend in the USA to purchase the 3M scratch removal system. These are 3" pads which hook onto a household drill. The kit comes with a purple waffle pad (for the 3M compound) then a black softer polishing pad for the 3M Scratch removing liquid. Also a very small square of Trizact 3000 grit foam sand paper.This liquid is supplied in very small quantities and I was not able to do the whole hood.

The scratches were very deep so I had to sand like crazy... literally 10 minutes per 20cm by 20cm in order to rid the deep scratches.. However even though I have compounded it and buffed it I am still left with very fine swirls!

So this has prompted me to get a bit obsessed and buy loads of things to try and resolve the issue. So far I have purchased:

That polisher I showed you (It takes 6 inch foam pads)
    Chemical guys VSS scratch and swirl remover
    Chemical guys Hexlogic Orange Pad
    Lake Country Microfibre cutting pad
    Lake Country White Foam polishing pad.
    Meguiars Microfibre cutting pad.
    Meguiars Red Foam compounding pad.
    3M Rubbing Compound (8 oz bottle)
    3M Scratch Remover (8 oz bottle)
    3M Trizact single sheet of 3000 grit sandpaper.
    3M 1500 Grit and 3000 Grit sandpaper 3 inch pads to fit a house hold drill
    A load of Meguiars detailing cloths and towels.
    Meguiars Ultimate Compound
    Meguiars Ultimate Polish
    Chemical Guys medium duty clay bar.
    Chemical Guys Clay Luber.
    Meguiars applicator hand pads
    Meguiars microfibre application pads
    Pack of 3 3M little 3 inch foam pads which include Coarse, fine and ultra fine (These all go on a house hold drill) with the backing plate.
    Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound 105
    Possibly may end up buying the Perfect it III system which comes with pads in the 6 inch size and includes 3M Fast Cut compound, Yellow ultra fine compound and blue for the final polish. But only if you think its necessary

So out of ALL of the above what would you recommend me to use to get the remaining swirls out the hood?
    Would you suggest any additional things to use or chemicals?

Thanks for the detailed replies Mike.

I am sticking with buying 6 inch pads and I have found out the polisher I have purchased suits those pads.

Hope this gives you a better idea of everything. Just really want to get the hood up to how it was before I went mental with the dish scourer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike I tried to reply earlier but it wouldn't go through

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am gonna type it all out again I wrote loads.

So it all started with my Dad emptying the paint gun outside (The paint gun used to paint indoor house walls which was water based) it ended up all over my car and I panicked and tried very hot water with a soft cloth but it did not clean it off.

I then very stupidly used a dish wash scourer which scratched the hell out of the paint.

I then ended up ordering the '3M Scratch Removal System' in this kit included a Square Foam Pad of 3M 3000 Grit, 3M Purple Waffle Compounding Pad, Black 3M Polishing Pad (All these are 3") and 2 fluids. 1 was the rubbing compound and the other was the scratch removal for after.

It did help but I was still left with a lot of mini swirls.

I have invested a hell of a lot including the purchase of this which was done today: Shine Mate 15mm Polisher

– Waxit Car Care

Here in Aus we are quite limited for polishers such as the Porter Cable, Griots, Meguiars DA etc

I am very keen to know your ideas on shifting these remaining swirls.. Some are quite deep others are not.

In my collection so far I have these:
    2 Meguiars Microfibre Cutting Discs
    1 Hexlogic Chemical Guys Orange Pad
    Chemical Guys VSS Swirl Remover
    Chemical Guys Medium Duty Clay Bar
    Clay Luber
    8oz bottle of 3M Rubbing Compound
    8oz Bottle of 3M Scratch Remover
    1 Single Sheet of 3M 3000 Grit Trizact
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Meguiars Ultimate Polish
    Meguiars Microfibre Hand Applicators
    3M 3" 1500 & 3000 grit sanding pads for household drill
    Meguiars M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    Meguiars M100 Pro Speed Compound
    Lake Country Microfibre Cutting Disc Pad
    Lake Country White Polishing Foam Pad

Do I have enough products here to achieve what I need or is there anything else you can suggest?

What would be your procedure in order to remove the swirls?

The Car is quite new. It is a Silvery Grey Hyundai Sonata.

Thanks so much Mike

Mike Phillips

Hi Mike I tried to reply earlier but it wouldn't go through

When you're a new forum member and you include links to outside websites the forum software puts your posts in the Moderation Queue.

I just visited the Admin Panel for the forum, found your queued up posts and approved them.

Mike Phillips

In my collection so far I have these:
    2 Meguiars Microfibre Cutting Discs
    1 Hexlogic Chemical Guys Orange Pad
    Chemical Guys VSS Swirl Remover <-- You can start with this but don't try to finish with it.
    Chemical Guys Medium Duty Clay Bar
    Clay Luber
    8oz bottle of 3M Rubbing Compound
    8oz Bottle of 3M Scratch Remover
    1 Single Sheet of 3M 3000 Grit Trizact
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound <-- These use great abrasive technology - I'd use these
    Meguiars Ultimate Polish <-- These use great abrasive technology - I'd use these
    Meguiars Microfibre Hand Applicators

3M 3" 1500 & 3000 grit sanding pads for household drill <-- DON'T SAND WITH A DRILL - IT'S CALLED GRINDING.

Meguiars M205 Ultra Finishing Polish <-- These use great abrasive technology - I'd use these
    Meguiars M100 Pro Speed Compound <-- These use great abrasive technology - I'd use these
    Lake Country Microfibre Cutting Disc Pad
    Lake Country White Polishing Foam Pad

I made some notes to the above. My only comment about the CG abrasive products is the majority of time someone joins this forum asking for help removing micro-marring is after they use products that don't use the best in abrasive technology. This isn't limited to CG products, so do your research before buying any compounds, polishes or cleaner/waxes.

Do I have enough products here to achieve what I need or is there anything else you can suggest?

What would be your procedure in order to remove the swirls?

The Car is quite new. It is a Silvery Grey Hyundai Sonata.

Thanks so much Mike

First - When you use a drill or a rotary buffer to sand paint it's not longer called sanding - it's called GRINDING.

Don' do it.

You can sand by hand with the Triazact or use a free spinning random orbital polisher. This is one of the articles I've written that I share the MOST on the Interweb.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Just how thin is the clear layer of paint on a factory paint job?

The factory clearcoat on a new or modern car measures approximately 2 mils thin.

The average post-it not is around 3 mils thin.

So tread carefully when sanding factory thin paint - especially horizontal surfaces as these get tortured by the SUN and this is were clearcoat failure happens first.

If it were me, I would get the most aggressive pad you have and the Meguiar's M100 and start working small sections at FULL SPEED on your Max Shine, about 16" by 16" - which is the size of most common microfiber towels.

Do around 12 section passes and then inspect.

Let me know what you see?

And by the way, if the famous words of Bill Clinton, former U.S. President,

I feel your pain

If the words of Mike Phillips - Blue Collar Working Class Dog (woof woof)

I feel your paint

Mike Phillips

And just and idea

Have you tried using Paint Thinner or Lacquer Thinner to dissolve the overspray paint on the car?

Of some other paint related solvent?

Maybe start first by finding out the exact type of overspray paint your Dad used and go to the store where he purchased it, take the can of paint he used with you.

Find a KNOWLEDGEABLE store staff member explain what happened and ask them if they sell any product for cleaning paint off of paint brushes that might work on your car?

It's possible you might be able to dissolve some or all of the overspray paint using a solvent versus the approach you're about to undertake.

This is keeping with the best practice,

Use the least aggressive process to get the job done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast