autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Foam Pads with DA Polisher (Compatible?) + Your detailing guide

You are extremely helpful Mike. Can see why you have got to where you have. Your answers are really well laid out and made in such a good way for me to be able to understand them. Sorry lol all my posts have come hammering their way through now!

Will print out all of what you said as it'll no doubt come in useful for when I am actually doing it.

Really wish I could have bought things like the Porter Cable, Griots etc but I think the USA have different voltage to here in Australia which is a shame!

I will definitely keep you updated and will try to take as good a photo as I can. The sun in QLD is probably quite similar to Florida we are in the other Sunshine state and quite often its so bright it dazzles you when you look at the paint work! You have to wait until late afternoon to really spot the defects. So i'll try and get some photos after doing the work too

Thanks again Mike

From Mart.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MartyK View Post

You are extremely helpful Mike.

Can see why you have got to where you have.

Your answers are really well laid out and made in such a good way for me to be able to understand them.

From Mart.

Thanks Marty,

I appreciate the compliment. Writing in a way someone can read what you write and then go out into their garage and do the thing you explain how to do is a writing art form, in my opinion.

It's also why I think you see more detailers make YouTube videos instead of writing how-to articles. It's a heck of a lot easier to just stand and talk. Doesn't always mean your talking is "good", it's just being able to do BOTH requires 2 skill sets, not just 1 skill set.

Check out these two articles too,

Wetsanding removes paint - Compounding removes paint - Polishing removes a little paint

When to stop buffing - Or - How far should you go to remove swirls and scratches?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes also just to add something.

Paint thinners did work the actual paint but when dabbed very, very lightly. I wish I had done that before using the scourer. However I did use paint thinners on the plastic door pillar trims if you know what I mean?
    Over spray had ended up on those and when I used paint thinners it got rid of the surface of it and totally faded them.
    Bought some 'Wurth Plastic Dye' which was incredibly expensive which has just about finished them off (Made them look AWFUL)
    So not quite sure what to do about those? I wondered a complete sand down and a spray in some special black paint? possibly?
    Just so you know what area I am talking about please see the attached image. I outlined the area in red.

Thanks again Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3M Foam Pads with DA Polisher (Compatible?) + Your detailing guide-plastic-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

It's also why I think you see more detailers make YouTube videos instead of writing how-to articles. It's a heck of a lot easier to just stand and talk. Doesn't always mean your talking is "good", it's just being able to do BOTH requires 2 skill sets, not just 1 skill set.
    So true. We are so lucky now in this day and age to access such vast amounts of information with the click of a mouse!

Thanks for those guides you sent on your last post I will take a look

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MartyK View Post

However I did use paint thinners on the plastic door pillar trims if you know what I mean?
    These?

Use a foam polishing pad and quality abrasive technology.

Be careful on edges and corners as you can buff through the black plastic outer shell and expose the white plastic underneath.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike

Yes thats right it is those. However mine are different surface. Its quite hard to explain... I may get a photo sent later to show you.

It now has a new surface with the Wurth Plastic Dye but it looks really bad. The surface now looks like its been gone over with a paint brush with a coating of wall paint lol.

I think if I send you a photo it will give you a much better idea of what needs doing because its a different surface to most door pillar exterior trims... will get a photo up on the next post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12