UDOS Testing Truck - 1946 Dodge Panel Truck - Machine Damp Sanding

I'm happy to say I have received my L.C. Power Tools UDOS for testing purposes. Stay tuned for my What's in the Box write-up.

The instructions that came with the tool requested me to test in my normal manners and even test in ways I would never recommend to others.

I gave this project a lot of thought. I know people are going to have a lot of questions about this tool. After much thought, I knew I wanted a vehicle that was BIG and in BAD condition so that I could get a lot of hands-on time with the tool in all it's 5 different functions.

1: Rotary mode
2: 8mm sanding mode
3: 12mm free spinning long stroke mode
4: 15mm free spinning long stroke mode
5: 15mm free spinning long stroke mode

Testing this tool out on a Mazda Miata just isn't going to cut it. So I have a good customer that let me know when I have time, he's got a cool streetrod, that's both unique and rare, but it's lacking in one area and that's the finish quality of the paint. Fate has a way of bringing me the right projects at the right time.

Will this be a ton of work?

Yes. But I'm good friends with all the people at Lake Country and I understand they have 5 years of research and capital invested into this tool and right now - they need help with a select group of people they have chosen and put their trust into to use this tool and really put it through a complete and thorough test.

So while normally I don't like huge projects, at least I like cool projects and as I'll document, this project is huge and in the perfect (horrible) condition to enable me to get plenty of real-world, hands-on time behind the tool.

Below I have some pictures I took yesterday while in the office, (Autogeek is on lock down for the Coronavirus), if I have work I can do from my home office I'm staying home. When I'm needed in the office, then I'm practicing all the recommended guidelines for interacting in public, i.e. face masks, nitrile gloves and social distancing. So far, so good, no one at Autogeek has caught the virus.

The paint has SANDING MARKS on every panel except the hood. I tried using a SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light to capture the sanding marks but because this is a METALLIC paint job, the light reflecting off the metallic flakes and back at my camera was too much and simply blew out the picture. Next Monday, I'll try a couple other lights to see if I can better capture all the sanding marks in the paint.

I don't think I've ever worked on a car with this many leftover MACHINE sanding marks. Besides the machine sanding marks, whoever did the buff out also left holograms through the finish. The silver lining in all this is it gives me a chance to test all the drive modes of the UDOS as I'm going to re-machine sand the entire truck using 3M Trizact #5000 grit sanding discs.

Without further a do.... here's the 1946 Dodge Panel Truck and as best as I can - the photo documentation showing its current condition.

1946 Dodge Panel Truck Streetrod

• 350 Chevy Engine/350 Turbo Automatic
  • Independent front suspension with front disc brakes
  • Custom interior
  • All original factory steel

This is the section around where the wiper arms would normally be in front of the windshield - the swirl level here is low compared to the rest of the body panels.

This is a frame-up shot to show you where I'm going to focus into. The overhead florescent lights do a better job of showing the sanding marks than the swirl finder light.

These are machine sanding marks

You can also see the hills and valleys that are known as ORANGE PEEL. The tops of the hills are dull (sanded), and the valleys are un-touched.

There are both machine sanding marks and holograms throughout all the body panels like shown here...

You can see the swirls but the metallic flakes are acting like tiny mirrors and blowing out the picture.

Stay tuned....