autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Coating Product Advice

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have found the paint on this year corvette to be on the hard side. So it sounds like the compound and pad you have is not removing the defects on the hard paint. If you have a microfiber pad you could give it a test spot with the current compound you have and see if that removes the harder defects. I had the same experience on my 02 SS, my dad's 02 Z28, and my cousins 2010 Camaro. These required a microfiber cutting pad to remove the defects.

Based on my experience I would choose Cquartz UK 3.0. It has proven to be a very good coating that just performs very well. I would even recommend topping it with Gliss to get that extra gloss but more importantly adding that slickness. It will take a couple panels for you to get the hang of the coating. And don't worry about high spots and just focus on the application and removal process.

Pinnacle's coatings are the easiest to use.

GTechniq CSL is nice to work with in terms of application but it needs Exo to add that hydrophobic property. It is pretty good but Cquartz alone beats it in durability and overall performance.

I would not bother looking at Gyeon other than CanCoat. Cquartz and Gtechniq are better than their Synchro coating based on my experience.

Be sure to get yourself a prep product like Eraser and get yourself some good towels like the edgeless 300 from that rag company. Use two towels, one for the initial removal and the second for the final wipe. You will cycle your towels once all sides are used and you notice that you are just pushing product around.

I bombarded you with a lot of information. Feel free to ask more questions.

This.

2. Likes The Guz, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would make sure you do a thorough wipe down after polishing. I've never used Gliss, but Cquartz UK is definitely a great coating to use. Darkens your paint slightly so it has a great look to it as well. I also found that for your regular market level coatings, it probably performs the best out of all the ones I've seen, especially considering the cost of this product as well. Truthfully if you take care of your car, this coating will make it past the 2 year mark easily. I had this on my car for three and a half years. When I did a chemical decontamination with IronX and TarX and an APC soak, I didn't really find any bonded contaminants. I threw a few things on the coating as well here and there, and I noticed that none of the other products really bonded to the coating well and would be gone after around the two to three week mark.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I would make sure you do a thorough wipe down after polishing. I've never used Gliss, but Cquartz UK is definitely a great coating to use. Darkens your paint slightly so it has a great look to it as well. I also found that for your regular market level coatings, it probably performs the best out of all the ones I've seen, especially considering the cost of this product as well. Truthfully if you take care of your car, this coating will make it past the 2 year mark easily. I had this on my car for three and a half years. When I did a chemical decontamination with IronX and TarX and an APC soak, I didn't really find any bonded contaminants. I threw a few things on the coating as well here and there, and I noticed that none of the other products really bonded to the coating well and would be gone after around the two to three week mark.
    Which products did you top with that didn’t bond well? We’re they specific coating toppers or something else?

Post Thanks / Like

It was basically just anything. Longevity would be cut down by like.. 1/4 of the generally accepted time.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

It was basically just anything. Longevity would be cut down by like.. 1/4 of the generally accepted time.
    Cool. I was just curious if regular coating toppers (Elixir, SiO2 maintenance sprays) were reduced, given this is their purpose, was hoping they would bond and not fail quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I also found that for your regular market level coatings, it probably performs the best out of all the ones I've seen, especially considering the cost of this product as well. Truthfully if you take care of your car, this coating will make it past the 2 year mark easily. I had this on my car for three and a half years.
    I agree. I applied CQuartz UK 2.0 to my oldest daughter's car a little over two years ago. Even though she parks in a garage at both work and home, it doesn't get washed very often, never sees any form of topper other than a little Ech2O for bird bombs and water spots after washing. She's in town to visit so we washed her car last night and not only does the coating still look fantastic, but once the car was clean, the beading and sheeting of the water has not diminished at all from when it was applied.

We agreed to let her car go as long as possible to really test the coating. Based on what I saw last night I'm thinking we'll easily pass three years and maybe get to four.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I had the salt here in Canada and still, the beading in the lower panels disappeared but at the same time, still no contaminant build up and the surface sheet water quite well.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I had the salt here in Canada and still, the beading in the lower panels disappeared but at the same time, still no contaminant build up and the surface sheet water quite well.
    Mckee’s coating prep soap worked wonders for bringing the beading back in the lower panels. AG no longer sells but it is just an Alkaline soap to remove waxes and sealants before coating. Found it does a great job of unclogging coatings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The salt and winter grime does reduce the sheeting on the lower doors for me too, but I've found it to be temporary. After a few good hand washes everything seems to return to normal.

In the past I'd always doubted the benefit from the occasional use of a product like CarPro's Reset. However, this spring I was able to get my hands on a 2oz sample of Reset and was really impressed by how well worked. One wash from Reset seemed to do the same "rejuvenation" work of 2~3 hand washes with another reputable soap like Optimum Car Wash.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I am not a profession detailer, but I am thrilled with how the PBL Paint and Surface Coating turned out on my my 2006 Prius.

Definitely not bad for a rookie on a 14 year old car.

Thanks for the advice Mike, the stuff was as slick as you said it would be.

Now for the longevity test sitting outside for the next few months!

Paint Coating Product Advice-prius-1-jpeg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast