autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winterize without ceramic coating?

Around here (NE PA) and likely where you are at - nothing will last all winter IME. It’s not the snow or mud - it’s the brine they put on the roads. It damages everything it comes it in contact with over time - even steel & concrete. Once you start driving in that - nothing will hold up on the lower areas that are in contact with that solution on a daily basis, including coatings.

So, instead of focusing on trying to get through a winter with one application, I focus on what’s easy to apply quick (it’s cold out) and works well. Because if you want it to last everywhere on the vehicle throughout the whole winter - you will have to reapply it.

Spray sealants seems to be where it’s at for me. Easy to apply and BSD and the Turtle Wax SnS stuff hold up as good as any wax - actually better. Also, you can use them on all surfaces and they are fast to use.

2. Thanks amitoj thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually go into winter with something durable, but continually rinseless/waterless wash in my garage (attaches but not heated, but normally above freezing) and then drying aid or straight apply spray waxes/sealants every week or two. Not everyone may have this luxury but as swanicyouth mentioned, apply when you can if you want it to stay protected everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Around here (NE PA) and likely where you are at - nothing will last all winter IME. It’s not the snow or mud - it’s the brine they put on the roads. It damages everything it comes it in contact with over time - even steel & concrete. Once you start driving in that - nothing will hold up on the lower areas that are in contact with that solution on a daily basis, including coatings.

So, instead of focusing on trying to get through a winter with one application, I focus on what’s easy to apply quick (it’s cold out) and works well. Because if you want it to last everywhere on the vehicle throughout the whole winter - you will have to reapply it.

Spray sealants seems to be where it’s at for me. Easy to apply and BSD and the Turtle Wax SnS stuff hold up as good as any wax - actually better. Also, you can use them on all surfaces and they are fast to use.
    True, given enough time, salt can eat away a Mountain.

I'm sure it won't matter, Sonax PNS, Colly #476, nothing conventional will stop the damage salt causes. And as for coatings, probably the best bet of all, but like you surmise, maybe not so.

Plus, what about those areas that you're never going to be able to get to? It's all over the car, dripping down side glass into doors, underside, engine compartment, there's nowhere to hide.

Thus, if it's a vehicle you really love and care for, and you're in the snow belt, store it, and drive a junker.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope to put a Coating on both vehicles before winter hits, but if not, I will go back to my trusty Finish-Kare 1000P (BWM101) Paste wax. Both are garage kept but I have had it last sometimes for 6 months. Which all depends on how I wash them and if I use some type of spray sealant after washing. If you go with this or Collinite 476, just make sure to put it on THIN......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12