autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How to upsell your services or packages?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hi Mike!

Just wanted to ask if you have any info or links on up-selling services on clients we can review. Can’t tell you how many times I see a client who wants our basic detail for $300 but for $200 more it will look so much better.

Dareyl is my biz partner and he and I are trying to gameplan some options for us.

Also, still love to have you at the shop for one of your tour dates!

Thanks,
    Sab

Great questions Michael,

The only thing I can think of that I have written on upselling are my articles that talk about matching your services to your customer.

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

This article talks about having "packages"

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

The idea being to evaluate the customer, figure out which package works for their best interest and the best interest of their car.

Then in order to upsell you need to be able to communicate the benefits and features that the car owner will agree are the best deal for their money.

Tricky stuff but if you're honest and know your stuff and can get your customer to trust your judgment then you can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to upsell your services or packages?

Maybe I can help?

I think the best way to upsell is to offer the typical things in your packages and leave yourself options you can suggest to the client when you do the car inspection.

So for exemple. If a potential client calls me to have his car compounded. I will offer him a package for a one step and explain that typically, that is the best solution for everyone having a daily driver. My packages also include a detailed wash, full paint decontamination and sealant application after the polishing step.

Once I am with the client and we are inspecting the car. I will check how bad the paint is. If it is horrible, I will suggest a 2 step correction upgrade (+120$ for me). I will also ask if he has deep scratches or paint chips to repair. If he does I ask him to show them to me and give him an extimate to wetsand them out. Other things easy to upsell: Aquapel for the windshield (or glass ceramic coating for the windshield), tire coatings, trim restoration if you choose to make it an option. Ceramic coating could be a good upgrade as well when dealing with someone who has a lot of disposable income.

Hope this helps.

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to upsell your services or packages?

Being sales I can tell you, getting them to spend more to get more (spending that $200 more) is to earn their trust and to build value in what their getting.

Don’t just explain that their getting a 2 step instead of a 1step for x more or a coating lite instead of a sealant. You need to get them to picture it and see how it will benefit them.

Scenario 1:

“ you’ve got more than basic swirls, I’d recommend upgrading to a 2-step Polish and coating lite It will enliminate more of those scratches and do a better job of protecting your finish.” It’ll cost you $500 total.

Scenario 2:

“You’ve got more aggressive paint damage than a 1step will correct. We should do a 2 stage correcting and polishing that will eliminate those swirls and all but the deepest of scratches. This will create a smoother surface that will give you a superior shine that will have everyone turning heads.

We will then use a sio2 coating product instead of a standard sealant/or wax. This will help protect the paint from minor swirling and marring extending out the life of the polish we did and add a depth and gloss that will take your paint to the next level. Your car will leave here with a show car shine. We can achieve all this for $199 more if you wish.”

Addressing their why (why the need your services) and relating how the additional cost will help attain their “why”will easily get them to spend more. They just don’t know why they need it till you can explain and relate to whatever their issues are.

Lot of times “selling”has a negative connotation and that can be true if your just trying to gouge your customers.

If you can see a need and better yet show the customer and explain it to them.... the process how to obtain it you are doing them and yourself a service. Sometimes you have show/sell it to someone so they’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes MattPersman, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every single suggestion and advice here is all very true and takes time to find a groove.

I will pretty much reiterate some of them into my own personal experiences:

1) The Test Spot

A client of mine wanted at least a one step, but was unsure if spending practically double of what I charge for a one step would be worth it.

I explained with him REALISTIC expectations. Instead of using words like:

—perfection
    —show car shine

I instead put a number on it.

Me: “On a scale of (poor) 1-10 (best), what are you HOPING for”

Then: “I don’t need perfection, but would like it to look like at least a 7.”

BOOM!

Now I am in for the kill. As we GEEKS we’ll know, our standards are FAR above a lot of people, even sometimes compared to a car enthusiast as well. Anyway, what next?

THE TEST SPOT will reveal that you can achieve above their “7”. Now it’s a “9” in their books.

Before you know it, “How soon can you get it done Dan?”

Another thing I like to do is I ALWAYS give them at least two estimates, one that matches exactly that they need and one that them can benefit from. I never sell them on something that doesn’t make sense.

At least with a One Step, selling those are more forgiving than a paint correction while being a better value than a wash and wax.

“OUR focus here is more so about gloss enhancement VERSUS scratch removal (even though there may be some). But the key thing is to manage expectations.

Assuming they go with your highest recommendation and see that the results are MORE than satisfactory, they will trust YOU going forward and will want the same for their other vehicles.

With BRAND NEW cars, sometimes I just go for it, “Why wax when you can ceramic coat it?”

Last tip:

Most people who want to spend money just need to be shown that they want a paint correction. How about those who can’t go from a wash and wax to a one step?

ADD service 1.5—HUH? Let me explain.

In my area, EVERYONE knows or heard of CARNAUBA wax. But how do you capitalize on something that is in theory has less durability?

Sell them on the prep work. Here is where it gets interesting.

“Dan isn’t the prep work for a wax and a sealant the same?” Yes!

When I added a 1.5 option with CARNAUBA wax, it sounds fancy to a lot of people, so make it fancy for them. Give them an ultra fine polish to enhance the gloss, but don’t go nuts like a TRUE one step.

If done efficiently and correctly, it is done in about 2.75 hours to 4 hours on average based on vehicle size.

Instead of charging $100 min, now you can charge $200 min VERSUS a One Step at a $400 min (MY AREA MY PRICES).

Since I added this option last month, this has become a money maker for me by far. The pitch went from:

“Sounds like a wash and wax is the best fit for you. One Step is not for everyone (because they can’t afford it for example)”

to

“Are you looking for just a BASIC wash and wax (which sounds boring) or can I interest you in my CARNAUBA WAX option?”

I know this sounds insane, but it worked for me. This option is ESPECIALLY popular with women while a One Step is the most popular with men.

Why just get your nails cleaned up when you can add color to it?

High-End Car Detailing at Your Residence * Portsmouth, NH

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post