autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Polishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SL

Polishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SL

Just got off the phone with a gentleman looking for tips to polish the original paint on his all original 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SL. It's very rare now days to own a car this old with the original paint.

The owner says the paint is in good shape with some light oxidation. I let him know that generally speaking, single stage black paint tends to be the softest paint there is to work on so of course, be very careful and use the least aggressive method to get the job done. I sent him an e-mail with the below product recommendations to gently and carefully polish and wax the original black paint to take it to it's maximium potential.

I thought others searching the Internet might find this helpful.

Here’s what I would recommend for the original paint on your classic 1967 Mercedes-Benz SL230

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Liquid Car Wax

Meguiars Even-Coat Applicator - 2 Pack

12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Tip
    After you get a collection of NICE microfiber towels for your black Mercedes-Benz, get a dedicated plastic container to store them in. Wash them together, dry them together and then store them together. Don’t let anyone else use them for any other project. Take ownership of managing your nice towels and you will dramatically reduce the chance of contaminating them. To me this is the most important thing you can do when it comes to maintaining a show car finish.

See this article I have on the towels I use for ceramic coatings as it shows inspecting and storing really well.

Microfiber towels for ceramic paint coatings - How to care for - by Mike Phillips

Here’s the articles I referenced. There’s 5 articles altogether.

All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

Great talking to you – please send me a few pictures of the Mercedes-Benz and I’m happy to share them on the forum.

Mike Phillips

p.s.

Here’s the 426 Hemi car I just detailed

Bucket List Buff - 426 Hemi - 1969 Dodge Coronet

Mike Phillips

Re: Polishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230LS

Continued....

And here's the link to the class I'll be teaching in Pennsylvania

Autogeek's Roadshow Detailing Class October 12th & 13th in Allentown, Pennsylvania

And here's everything you get to do!

Autogeek's Roadshow - Saturday & Sunday Class Outline

Saturday

Morning Session - Multiple-Step Paint Correction

1: Extreme Washing - This class session covers all the correct tools, products and techniques to thoroughly clean and prep a car for detailing when using a source of running water.

This includes,

• Foam Guns
    • 3-Bucket Wash Method
    • Wheel Woolie Wheel Brushes
    • Speedmaster Wheel Brushes
    • Brake-dust Removing Wheel Cleaners
    • Mechanical Decontamination using Nanoskin Mitts & Towels
    • Chemical Decontamination using Iron & Fallout Remover
    • Tools for machine scrubbing tires
    • Tools for air drying cars

Also covered in the morning washing session are the non-washing procedures to do and the correct order to do them in.

1. Wet Wash Engine Detailing
    2. Machine Glass Polishing
    3. Headlight Correction

2: Car Inspection & Prep
    This class session covers everything you need to do to a car BEFORE you start machine polishing. This includes inspecting using an Vehicle Inspection Form, Paint Thickness Gauge, Swirl Finder Lights, Baggie Test. Plus what to tape-off and how to correctly tape-off and cover-up trim, comments, tops, etc.

3: How, why and where to do a Test Spot
    One of the most important steps if not THE most important step everyone should be doing before detailing a car.

4: 2-step paint correction and polishing
    This class session covers all the professional techniques to correctly compound and polish paint to perfection. Multiple-step paint correction is called, show car detailing because you're breaking the paint polishing process down into isolated and dedicated steps to maximize the end-results for a true show car quality finish. This session includes tools from,

1. FLEX
    2. RUPES
    3. Griot's Garage
    4. Meguiar's
    5. Makita
    6. Porter Cable
    7. Cyclo

Pads - Products
    The morning session includes a wide range of pro-grade compounds, polishes and buffing pads for a very well-rounded experience. You will learn how to know when to use a compound versus a medium, fine or ultra fine cut polish.

Ceramic Coatings - Waxes - Sealants
    The morning session covers proper techniques for chemically stripping paint for the installation of ceramic coatings specifically. Techniques for applying and removing traditional carnauba waxes and synthetic sealants are also covered in the morning session.

5: Final Steps
    The morning session covers coatings and dressings for; glass, tires, rims and plastic trim.

>Lunch Break<
    Lunch and cold beverages are provided

Afternoon Session - One-Step Detailing
    One step detailing is also called production detailing. In this session you will learn which types of cars and other projects are best suited for an AIO type product, (All-in-One), also called a cleaner/wax. The focus on this class is how to restore a neglected car's finish to like-new condition in only one step. Also called Speed Detailing. This type of detailing is great for enthusiasts taking care of their own daily drivers or for professional detailers for their budget package and also things like dealership work.

1: Washing Techniques for Waterless Washes and Rinseless Washers
    The afternoon session covers how, where, when, why and what for using either a waterless or rinseless wash. Correct techniques for both types are covered and when to use one over the other. Also covered are the correct types of wash media and other tools needed to clean a car without running water safely.

2: Mechanical decontamination - Why and how to use detailing clay and clay substitutes
    Students learn the proper technique for using detailing clay as well as clay substitutes.

3: Taping-off and covering up to save time and marketing purposes
    Students will build on the foundation created in the morning session as well as learn the marketing side of taping-off and covering stain-sensitive surfaces.

4: One-step high quality detailing
    Where the morning session goes over how to use a multiple-step approach for show car results, the afternoon session covers how to correctly use All-in-One products to compound, polish and protect the paint in one-step. This type of detailing is perfect for entry level detailing packages as well as daily drivers, budget details, RV's, and large vehicles like trucks and vans where the owner or customer does not want or need a ceramic coating. There are dos and don't when it comes to this type of detailing, which you will learn in the class. Everyone should have the skill set and knowledge to correctly perform one-step detailing jobs whether you're an enthusiast or you detail for money.

Tools - Pads - Products
    I call this free-for-all. Students can choose and use any tool and pad combo they previously used in the morning session. This is your opportunity to spend more time with any tool that has attracted your interest and attention and you're thinking about investing in. You can even use multiple tools, it's your choice. The importance of abrasive technology is stressed in this class as well as how to under-promise and over-deliver exceptional results. You will learn how to get show car results in half the time.

Sunday

Morning session - Wetsanding an entire car from start to finish
    If you have ever wanted to know the art of wetsanding, here's your chance to learn from beginning to end, exactly what to do. This is a real-world class where you will work on real cars and this is the BEST way to learn the entire process from start to finish.

This class includes,

• How to prep a car for wetsanding
    • Hand sanding techniques
    • Machine sanding techniques
    • How to correctly use a rotary buffer to remove 100% of the sanding marks
    • How to finish out 100% hologram and swirl free using any orbital polisher (your choice which orbital polisher to use)
    • How to seal the paint using a ceramic coating, carnauba wax or synthetic sealant, even the cheater technique of using an AIO.

>Lunch Break<
    Lunch and cold beverages are provided

Afternoon Session - Interior Detailing
    You will learn the difference between a hot water extractor and a steam machine and when and how to use one over the other.

This includes,

End of day

Certificate Award Ceremony

Class wrap-up

Book signing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230LS

Ahhh, the PagodaPolishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SLPolishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

Re: Polishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SL

The owner sent me this e-mail and pictures after following the process I shared in this thread.

Hey Mike,

Thanks again for your guidance the other day. The process you suggested worked very well and while this original paint is in very good condition, the depth and color stood out exceptionally after working with the #7 and then #26 liquid wax.

I attended an event for exotics yesterday where many of those who attended brought out their rides. However I must say that my car drew lots of attention due to it’s appearance and uniqueness. See link for photos I promised.

Thanks again for your willingness to spend some time on the phone last week.

Bill

Love to hear a success story like this one!

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing the original black paint on a 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SL

There is a red (identical year and model?) SL like that that I see frequently in my town. Always looks good and I did hear it has the original owner. I wonder if the owner is a detailing fanatic.

It’s great to see these cars are being preserved. When it’s the original paint it’s surely something very special!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.