autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cquartz UK 3.0 Prep

Mike,

I just purchased a new to me 2018 Chevy Suburban that has 8,000 miles and is black. I am interested in applying Cquartz UK 3.0 sealant and was hoping you could look at the process I plan on doing and telling me if I’m on the right track of thinking or not. Attached are photos of what I’m working with and hopefully they show enough of the swirls. There are swirls and superficial scratches all over from what appears to be from improper washing habits. On the Suburban I just traded in I did the three step Wolfgang system on it but with the advancement of one step polishes, I was hoping the Black Fire One-Step would suffice in this situation. Here is the process that I was planning on doing:

• Wash
    • Iron X
    • Clay Bar
    • Black Fire One Step using Griots 6" Polisher and white 5.5" LC CCS Smart Pads (I have orange pads in case the paint seems hard and I need them)
    • CarPro Eraser
    • Cquartz UK 3.0 - 4 coats
    • Reload

Please let me know your thoughts on this process and if I need to add or remove anything. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cquartz UK 3.0 Prep

I would definitely skip the BF one step, it has a sealant in there that could impede the CQ from bonding. Use a dedicated polish or compound. Also why would you want to apply 4 coats of the CQ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I would definitely skip the BF one step, it has a sealant in there that could impede the CQ from bonding. Use a dedicated polish or compound. Also why would you want to apply 4 coats of the CQ?
    BTW /CQuartz UK 3.0 is a ceramic coating and not a sealant. Anything over 2 coats is redundant.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I guess I didn't think of that with one step having the sealant, I guess I'll go back to using the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Glaze. I was just hoping to not do multiple steps and save some time, the vehicle is big enough and will take me a while to do. My thought on the 4 coats was because I thought I read somewhere that others were doing multile coats, kind of increasing the hardness factor. I'm must have misread and they were using some other product. Thnis is my first time using a ceramic coating so I'm still learning. Thanks for the input.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    BTW /CQuartz UK 3.0 is a ceramic coating and not a sealant. Anything over 2 coats is redundant.
    Since this is my first time working with a ceramic coating, is there any benefit to doing 2 coats or would it be a waste?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
    Since this is my first time working with a ceramic coating, is there any benefit to doing 2 coats or would it be a waste?
    Since winter is over, I would do two coats on the horizontal panels only and one coat on the verticals.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my first run with ceramic two weeks ago, and used UK 3.0. I did the following;

Wash
    IronX
    Foam Wash
    Clay
    Polish with M205 (because I had it)
    2xeraser wipe down
    2 x CQ UK 3.0 (45 min to 60 min apart)
    1 x Gliss (4h after CQ UK)

Couple tips from my first experience with it.
    Eraser works great and cleaning up any polish residue.
    I thought I had loads of light in my garage for looking for high spots. While I got pretty pretty. I have everything, it wasn’t until I pulled out into daylight (over cast period was best) that a few jumped out. If you can, pull it out into daylight to check it over after you apply.
    Because I was slow, being my first time with it, I set a 45 min timer, so when it went off I would go back over previous panels with second coat. I guess if you wait much longer, it can haze.
    If you try Gliss, it flashes white apparently, but I had trouble seeing it flash at all.

I though CQ UK 3.0 made it look great and smooth feel. I had no idea until I applied Gliss. Totally shocked how much more slick the surface felt. Dragging MF towel across trunk with one side Gliss applied and other CQ only, was night and day. Maybe it won’t give anymore protection, but it was worth it for how slick it felt, and I didn’t need reload. Gliss goes on in a fraction of the time of CQ.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the car to the dealer today and I didn’t say anything, but the service advisor said I will be telling them not to wash the car because its ridiculously clean.
    Cquartz UK 3.0 Prep-7519152b-bf0a-45a4-be51-da341586e682-jpg

9. Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    I had the car to the dealer today and I didn’t say anything, but the service advisor said I will be telling them not to wash the car because its ridiculously clean.
    Cquartz UK 3.0 Prep-7519152b-bf0a-45a4-be51-da341586e682-jpg
    I would still put a do not wash sign on my dash,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I would still put a do not wash sign on my dash,
    On dash, rear view, steering wheel, seat and do not wash autoplay mp3 loaded on radio

12. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast