autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the point of a ceramic coating if you have to maintain it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’ve never heard of microfibers that lose their shape.
    I actually use a yellow for a face towel in the shower because I don't want to spend 7 dollars on a wash cloth( little ironic) The KY towel is bulkier when new and thinner when washed a few.
    My face probably must be rougher than GM orange peel which is where I use my more expensive towels.

Regardless, at 50 cents a pop they are 1 of the best deals on the planet. Your right, I'm right , who cares if it works for ya.

As far as the coating thing, anything worth it needs preventative maintenance. Just like life, there is always the margin of uncertainty.
    I am not going to clay or iron remove on a coating. I am going to rip through a polish session if I do those steps and reapply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    . Afterall you all said how great ceramic coatings are at protecting against salt and harsh chemicals right?

YouTube
    Yes..... for painted surfaces, which those ceramic coatings are designed for....

under carriage coating is totally different subject and mostly done with rubberized products.

oh well excuse me if I missed something previously
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    True except I don't spend an extra couple of hours for coating prep and application.
    But you clay and zaino once a year. Same effort as doing a coating save spraying on rinsing off an iron remover. You will have to wash your car more often and with a coating you can blow it dry a lot easier. And coatings offer a stronger protection. Look their are those who fight the evolution of things and those who embrace them. Bet it was hard for you to give up carburetors when fuel injection came out... jk. But your argument for more work is moot. Would you like to do more maintenance once while coating or at every wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And also option to spray on rinse of sio2 toppers and then blow dry so less touching over paints and sealants if wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how to respond to this post

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    I'm not sure how to respond to this post

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    What is the point of a ceramic coating if you have to maintain it? Eh, just jump on in...the waters fine!

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong, just what works for each individual.

Everything else is just semantics when ya look at your shiny car on that sunny Spring day and smile...many roads to the same destination and ya can always pick up something you didn't know on the way.

8. Likes Coatingsarecrack, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^this^^^^^

For those pros who do it you got your game plan that works and if your getting satisfied customers and referrals then it works for you and your clients. Could go across country and find thousands of Detailers are amazing (to different degrees). None are doing it wrong.

For hobbyists this argument is moot. It’s YOUR hobby if you wanna dry your car with sand paper cuz you like the “textured” appearance it give your paint....your car....your hobby. Theirs only right for you. Some have figured that out. Some are still looking for what works for them so hopefully they get something from their debates. Shoot I’m still trying to figure out what coating I wanna use.

Post Thanks / Like

The point of a coating is to give you the toughest sacrificial layer over your clear coat possible. When you mar or scratch your clear coat you have to remove clear coat to repair it. If you mar or scratch your coating you just polish the coating off saving your clear coat.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO the purpose of a coating is to have the most hydrophobic and self cleaning protection you can have. They last longer than traditional waxes and sealants and release dirt much easier. They also look fantastic.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I am probably in the minority on this. I do believe Coatings have there place. I coat most cars, especially the cars that aren't garage queens. I still prefer the sealant/wax over coatings. I do coat my front and rear bumpers as the bumpers are made of plastic and the paint on it is more porous. Additionally, my car is a garage queen and I do like to wash/wax my vehicle whenever I can regardless if its 2 weeks or 2 months.

I believe when you coat a vehicle, the car needs to be in the "coating system" maintenance. If you take your ride to a machine car wash you may have to redo the areas from the damage. The average person thinks taking your car to a car wash is the best...
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast