Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a new VW GTI. This weekend I broke out all the gear to fully decon, polish and protect it. Friday night I washed, Iron-X'd and Nanoskin'd, toweled it mostly dry and parked safely in the garage. Saturday morning I got everything taped. Right after lunch I started on a test spot. I'm using a Rupes 15 mark II, and a Rupes 75e for the tighter bits. I first tried Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow bad, but that wasn't doing the trick. Jescar Correcting Compound on a Rupes medium wool pad followed by Perfect Finish on yellow foam seemed pretty good (75%+ correction, which is really all I was looking for since this car will ultimately be kept outdoors and commuted in, it will definitely experience wear and tear). I got 80% of the compounding done Saturday, finished it up Sunday morning and was making my way around the car, spot checking my work every now and then when I ran into my problem.

The large C pillar on the passenger side was still covered in swirls. Not as bad as when I started, but still really obvious under a Scangrip. Next I tried bumping up to a coarse wool Rupes pad with Jescar Correcting Compound and finally a Megs MF cutting pad with D300. Still swirls.

I've gotten to the point where I've hammered on the paint enough and don't want to go any further without some additional help. Can anyone think of what could be going on? I was thinking these may be bad sanding marks that I'm just going to have to live with. Any other ideas?

I can try and get a good picture to attach later, if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

I appreciate any help you can provide.