autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New truck

Congratulations on the new truck. That’s an incredible color. I would go with a coating, second option would be a high quality sealant. After all the prep work before of course. Where are you from? Maybe you can find someone on here with more experience to help you out.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new truck.

As mentioned you are going to get a lot of options.

If you prefer a sealant then there are so many forum favorites such as Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, McKee's Hi Def Paint Sealant and the list goes on.

If you are ready to try a coating then Cquartz UK 3.0 is a good choice or you can go with a coating combo such as GTechniq Crystal Serum Light topped with Exo. It takes a bit of time with a coating so be aware of that.

If you want something that falls in between a coating and sealant then Gyeon CanCoat would be a good choice. Pair it with Gyeon Primer Polish and maintain with Gyeon Cure and you are set for roughly a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a great color, always nice to see our company owners RR Explorer clean and in the sun...stops me every time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I had purchased and used the hydro blue on my last truck with decent results. Maybe using the 10 minute sealant might be a better package. Another option I looked at was the Gyeon Mohs system package. Has anyone have any experience with Gyeon Mohs?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm seeing lots of recommendations, meaning to me that people are happy with lots of similar type products. It looks like I will have to decide on one of the recommended avenues and do it

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What state are you in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle Dog View Post
    I am getting a new Ford F350 in ruby red in a couple of weeks. Instead of having the dealer do a Simonize sealant of the paint for too much money, I would like to do it myself. They say I won't have to wax it for seven years! The truck will be my weekend warrior vehicle. Any recommendations on new truck prep and sealants/ceramic coatings (longer lasting would be better)
    Thanks......Razzle Dog
    Razzle congrats first and foremost. That is going to be some truck you have ... please post pics when you get it. Now on to the business end of your post. I am guessing you plan to do the work yourself?

Since it is new, I would suggest a good wash to start (of course) followed by a thorough clay barring. This is your chance to start from scratch and set a good base for any years of easy maintenance so don't skip the clay (or decon mitt - whichever you prefer). I would then lightly polish even if you feel the paint is near perfect - again a chance to remove any minor imperfections now, which may have been induced by clay barring. Follow with an IPA or prep polish to remove all oils from the paint.

If you are experienced enough with a coating, or want to use your new truck as a first-try, that would provide a nice base to maintain upon. Tons of good products out there including McKees, Blackfire, CQ, Pinnacle, etc. You can then maintain the vehicle with an SIO2 spray product, either spray on and wipe off (e.g. Black fire spray sealant) or spray on rinse off (e.g. McKees Hydro Blue).

If tackling a coating is more than you want to bite off, then I would suggest laying down a nice liquid based sealant down after polishing such as McKees Hi Def Sealant, McKees 10 minute paint sealant, Wolfgang or Blackfire paint sealant. Then you can maintain as mentioned above.

If wax/hybrid is your thing, go with something with staying power (e.g. Collinite 845, 476 or FinishKare FP1000). These are just as durable as a good sealant.

Either way keep in mind with something that large, you want a maintenance program that you will want to do. If you make it too difficult or labor intensive it may be harder to stick to the program so to speak.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

...oh and I forgot to mention now is the perfect time to apply a good trim protectant - before any new black trim turns chalky grey/white. 303 and McKees are my favorite here.

ScottH

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have made a decision on what I will use. I will be prepping the truck properly and I will be going with a Gyeon Syncro system, Q2 Mohs base, Q2-Cure, Q2-Skin including Q2-prep, Q-Rim and Tire. This decision was based on tutorials showing great end results and ease of product application (I also checked most of the products that were reccommeded). I will post pics of the truck/results after it is done. That should be mid February 2019.

Again, thanks to all for your input and help.........Razzle Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle Dog View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I have made a decision on what I will use. I will be prepping the truck properly and I will be going with a Gyeon Syncro system, Q2 Mohs base, Q2-Cure, Q2-Skin including Q2-prep, Q-Rim and Tire. This decision was based on tutorials showing great end results and ease of product application (I also checked most of the products that were reccommeded). I will post pics of the truck/results after it is done. That should be mid February 2019.

Again, thanks to all for your input and help.........Razzle Dog
    Let us know how Syncro does for you. For me it was a bit of a let down in the year it was on the paint. Skin didn't last that long. Rim and Tire are good products.

12. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast