autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 Boss 302 Track Tape Residue on Stripes

Hi AutoGeek and Mike,

My father and I recently took our 2013 Boss 302 to a Chin Track Days event at Sebring International Raceway. We were concerned with track debris (rubber, rocks, chunks of other cars, etc.) impacting the front bumper and damaging the paint and the stripes so we decided to apply some track tape, specifically Track Armor, to the front bumper and the lower part of the hood. Unfortunately, it decided to rain on Sunday and we noticed that the tape adhesive would turn white after water got under the tape, which was fairly easy for the water because it is almost impossible for an amateur to apply that stiff tape to that much curved surface area without having some creases and folds in the tape. We didn't think too much of the white adhesive while we were at the track because we were so focused on having fun. HOWEVER, when we got home and pulled the tape off of the vehicle, the "wet" track tape adhesive left white marks on the Boss 302 Stripes on the hood (see the attached photos). There is some residue left on the paint as well, but that appears more clear (again, see photos). We didn't have any coatings or wax on the stripes, because we were afraid that a coating or wax would ruin the reflective properties of the stripes (yes, the 2013 Boss 302 had reflective stripes). We did have a coat of wax on the paint.

The things we have tried so far on the stripes that have failed:
    • Using a very plush microfiber towel with CarPro Eraser (polishing compound and oil remover) applied to the affected area.
    • Applying a clay bar with clay lubricant to the affected area.
    • Using a "New" strip of tape to try and pull up the adhesive (didn't work on stripes but worked somewhat on paint).

We're beginning to worry now because nothing we have tried has worked. We've ordered a container of 3M Automotive Adhesive Remover, but that's the last ditch plan because we worry that may pull the stripes up too. We posted to this forum hoping that Mike and the members of the AutoGeek community have a solution in mind for us. We really don't want to have to replace the entire strip package.

On the stripes:

On the paint (car hasn't been detailed in years [we only did our first full detail a month ago, amateurs!] so forgive the swirl marks, we plan on rectifying those soon):

Help us AutoGeek (and Mike), you're our only hope.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Boss 302 Track Tape Residue on Stripes

First thing I’d do is ask Track Armor for their recommendations.

3. Thanks TheKonquerer thanked for this post
    Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An adhesive remover like Tar-X or Goo Gone might be the final answer. The adhesive on the stripes worries me more than the paint as vinyl stripes are fragile. Do as Forrest says first and try to contact the tape manufacturer first. Heat will soften adhesive, but of course it will also effect the vinyl stripes. A heat gun and a plastic scraper would remove the sticky stuff on the paint but scraping the vinyl is not a good idea, maybe as a last resort. Hopefully other members will have suggestions.

5. Thanks TheKonquerer thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies forrest and rlmmcarty.

I went ahead and contacted the manufacturer. A gentlemen from Track Armor called me back quickly and we had a 10 minute conversation. He recommended using Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the residue on the paint. He had never heard of it "staining" a vinyl stripe though. His recommendation for removing the residue was to dab a Microfiber (MF) towel with some of the alcohol then gently apply to the affected area. I initially tried an area on the paint with his dabbing recommendation, however I diluted to Isopropyl alcohol to approximately 40%. No change in residue on paint. I think upped the "dabbing" to the full 91% isopropyl alcohol. Still no change. I think tried pouring some of the 91% directly onto the paint and letting it sit for a minute or two, after which I wiped up with a MF towel. Still no change...

The manufacturer does seem very eager to help and wanted me to call back tomorrow to see if the isopropyl worked. I do have to say, Track Armor does have some good customer service. I also have 3M Automotive Adhesive Remover coming in on Thursday. Depending on how the conversation with the manufacturer goes tomorrow, that 3M product may be the next step.

Quick Question. Would the heat from a heat gun possibly de-bond the adhesive used on the stripes to adhere them to the body?

Thanks very much for the help thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the marks on the stripes a residue on the surface? Can you feel it with a fingernail? From the photo, it almost looks like a bleached mark in the tape, rather than on it?

When it comes to removing adhesive residue, Goo Gone works far better than alcohol. Obviously, I have never used it for a problem like yours, but I have used it on nearly everything else. Goo Gone has never damaged any surface I have used it on, but it is always best to do a little test in an inconspicuous spot.

I would not use heat. You will likely soften the adhesive that holds the tape on, and the tape migh stretch or bubble, or something worse. Heat is what you will use if you are faced with replacing the stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheKonquerer View Post
    Thanks for the replies forrest and rlmmcarty.

I went ahead and contacted the manufacturer. A gentlemen from Track Armor called me back quickly and we had a 10 minute conversation. He recommended using Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the residue on the paint. He had never heard of it "staining" a vinyl stripe though. His recommendation for removing the residue was to dab a Microfiber (MF) towel with some of the alcohol then gently apply to the affected area. I initially tried an area on the paint with his dabbing recommendation, however I diluted to Isopropyl alcohol to approximately 40%. No change in residue on paint. I think upped the "dabbing" to the full 91% isopropyl alcohol. Still no change. I think tried pouring some of the 91% directly onto the paint and letting it sit for a minute or two, after which I wiped up with a MF towel. Still no change...

The manufacturer does seem very eager to help and wanted me to call back tomorrow to see if the isopropyl worked. I do have to say, Track Armor does have some good customer service. I also have 3M Automotive Adhesive Remover coming in on Thursday. Depending on how the conversation with the manufacturer goes tomorrow, that 3M product may be the next step.

Quick Question. Would the heat from a heat gun possibly de-bond the adhesive used on the stripes to adhere them to the body?

Thanks very much for the help thus far.
    Yes it may cause the vinyl to lift. I would use this as a last ditch effort. Good to hear you are getting support from the manufacturer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The marks on the stripes are smooth to the touch. I ran my fingers over it and there is definitely no transition between the stripe itself and the mark on the stripes. Also tried doing the same thing for the mark on the paint and there was no transition that I could feel. I even tried (and cringed) at using a finger nail, and still couldn't feel the transition.

My current biggest fear is that the stripes are slightly porous, and may have absorbed some of that white adhesive from the wet tape. I have no factual evidence against this other than the marks are so smooth to the touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheKonquerer View Post
    The marks on the stripes are smooth to the touch. I ran my fingers over it and there is definitely no transition between the stripe itself and the mark on the stripes. Also tried doing the same thing for the mark on the paint and there was no transition that I could feel. I even tried (and cringed) at using a finger nail, and still couldn't feel the transition.

My current biggest fear is that the stripes are slightly porous, and may have absorbed some of that white adhesive from the wet tape. I have no factual evidence against this other than the marks are so smooth to the touch.
    That doesn't sound good. Products like Goo Gone and alcohol are good at removing sticky residue that is left on the surface. i used the word bleach in my question because I was already worrying that what you have is not a residue, but a change in color of the vinyl tape due to an an interaction of some kind. I hope I am wrong.

The only other thing I can suggest you try is a very fine polish. I'd put a drop on my finger tip and gently rub a small part of the discoloration. If that works, then it might be time to break out the orbital polisher and polish everthing.

Good luck!