autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Undercarriage protection question

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Thats less than 1900 miles a year. To the other poster I totally understand wanting to keep it nice but in the end its a CAR and just sitting in a garage looking at it for 40 years till it actually starts increasing in value (as long as all you do is look at it and keep the miles off it) is a waste in my book. Car=drive and enjoy, picture=look at and enjoy.
    I don't know, some of us have a thing about keeping things new...I mean that's half of the OCD part of being on this forum, isn't it? I think I've had my TV for 6 years and it still has the sticker in the corner of the screen...obviously the OP has multiple vehicles and I totally support him having one that he doesn't want to drive in the rain, and he DOES drive it, obviously. It's kind of like the good china that you only use on holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

Fluid Film is motorcycle chain grease in an aerosole can

If you use it, you will regret it. It's very, very difficult to remove. I read your post and it seems wd40 would be your best bet, if you can't find Griot's at an Advance Auto parts store.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Hydro blue sounds interesting to say the least. But I would go with corrosion x under the car and they just happen to sell it on autogeek.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ceramic coat the bottom? That's my plan for my widebody hellcat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blasius01 View Post
    ceramic coat the bottom? That's my plan for my widebody hellcat
    Nice. I hope you document the performance.

How do you currently use the Cat? Art piece, weekend thrill, track warrior or daily driver?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Nice. I hope you document the performance.

How do you currently use the Cat? Art piece, weekend thrill, track warrior or daily driver?

I will... It's a daily on days it doesn't rain hahaha

7. Likes WristyManchego liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FLUID FILM is NOT Motorcycle Chain Grease !!!!!

Just like BOESHIELD T-9 Fluid Film has a Lanolin Based Rust Inhibitor

Spray anywhere/everywhere on the Undercarriage.....Wipe it, Brush It and Leave It..
    When you return from Trip You Could Just Foam Cannon Wash Bottom of Car with Car Soap or Stronger,
    Pressure Wash, Blow Dry, and apply more Fluid Film as a Rust Inhibitor

Many Auto Restorations have bare metal components protected with BOESHIELD or FLUID FILM

9. Thanks Oz_TCH thanked for this post
    Likes Oz_TCH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Fluid Film on the undercarriage of my 2008 GMC and it is a great product. Just make sure that you do not get any on the exhaust. I have a customer that just had the undercarriage of his truck sprayed with truck bedliner material.

11. Thanks Oz_TCH thanked for this post
    Likes Oz_TCH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How does the cars gets delivered from the dealership with the undercarige of mind?

Why I ask is cause in the warmer countries they are not so well protected and much is only painted. Since we in Sweden has a lot of road salt on the roads during many months. The vehicals comes with a bodysprayed undercarige from the dealership. Most is well done and some it could be worth to redo them for a more solid protection.

I who have only bought used cars. Do a thoroughly check on the undercarige to see if the protection has started to dry and getting bristle. If it needs a touch up I clean thorough with an APC and let it dry thoroughly. Then take a stiff brush and brush the loose old bodyspray off. And gets me a couple of cans like Wurth High Build UnderBody UnderSeal spray cans. Then spray it on to build up the protection. I also like to check in the holes and the closed parts of the chassi as good as I can. And see if the more loose and runnier bodyspray is needed. This is cause some is not so gentle and apply it safe when useing what we call Cold Degreaser. This is mostly based on petroleum of some kind and desolve the rust protection. And more often than not the wheel wells needs to be redone with rust protection with a bodyspray. I need to unmount the inner fender to see how it looks. This little extra work with all of this can save the car from getting to rust from inside and out and on the common places around the fender edges to the wheels and the rockers. Most products has build in rust stopper. Or if it's much of rust I use a rust off product. Before I apply the bodyspray. There is those that you can paint with a brush or use a paint gun to get larger areas if needed.

Wurth High Build UnderBody UnderSeal

Wurth Rost Off Extra

When I going to protect the undercarige. I think I will get Bilt Hamber different undercarige wax next. They are in spray cans and the wax is clear and has corrosion inhibitors in them. So they work very well on bare metalls and don't get greasy.

To the OP. Look if you can find a undercarige wax. And also the spray on rinse off coating products I think can be a good option too. Just that the longevity can be a problem in some situations or environments.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
    FLUID FILM is NOT Motorcycle Chain Grease !!!!!

Just like BOESHIELD T-9 Fluid Film has a Lanolin Based Rust Inhibitor

Spray anywhere/everywhere on the Undercarriage.....Wipe it, Brush It and Leave It..
    When you return from Trip You Could Just Foam Cannon Wash Bottom of Car with Car Soap or Stronger,
    Pressure Wash, Blow Dry, and apply more Fluid Film as a Rust Inhibitor

Many Auto Restorations have bare metal components protected with BOESHIELD or FLUID FILM
    From Fluid Film's FAQ page: How Does Fluid Film Work On Motorcycle Chains?
    FLUID FILM is an all purpose chain lube due to its non-solvent application. Spray FLUID FILM directly on the chain, wiping off excess with a clean rag. FLUID FILM will migrate into all areas, providing long-lasting lubrication and protection from rust. Great on bicycle chains as well.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123