autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Plan for a new car - Carpro vs Gyeon?

Hi!

I just bought my first new car and I want to take good care of it, so I've been reading up. I have been washing it with ONR and applying OptiSeal as a drying aid. I also decontaminated it with an iron remover and a clay mitt. I invested in a bunch of nice microfiber towels.

IMO it doesn't have any significant scratches or marring. I may be missing it, though. It's a dark grey Acura.

I want to take the next step and put a coating on before winter. I have been researching. My plan is to buy:
    - Griot's Garage 6 inch random orbital polisher
    - Griot's 5 inch backing plate

I know I need a bunch of pads. I was going to buy a 6 pack of the Lake Country Flat 5.5 inch flat pads, but confused which ones to buy. The green ones?

After that I would buy one of the following two sets:
    1)
    - CarPro Essence Xtreme gloss enhancer
    - CarPro Eraser
    - Cquartz UK 3.0 coating

2)
    - Gyeon Q2 primer
    - Gyeon Prep
    - Gyeon Q2 One

Is one better than the other, or easier, or more foolproof? I am a complete beginner.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plan for a new car - Carpro vs Gyeon?

If you polish with Essence you can skip the Eraser, as Essence acts like a primer for Cquartz. You now eliminated one step. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used Gyeon One but I have read it is not the most user friendly coating. I have used CQUK 3.0 and it's pretty straight forward to use. I would give CQUK 3.0 a go.

Also for those that say you don't need a prep wipe with Essence, I would have to disagree and still recommend a prep wipe. The reason why is to remove any residual oils from the polish. I still do a prep wipe with Eraser even after Essence has been sitting on the paint overnight to let the SiO2 in it cure while the residual oils evaporate off the surface. I want to ensure that there is nothing in the way of the coating bonding to the surface. I do the same prep process with either version of cquartz.

Same concept if you go with Gyeon and using their primer polish and a coating.

As far as pads the Orange and White pads are among the favorites for the flat pads.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The Guz;1595325]I have not used Gyeon One but I have read it is not the most user friendly coating. I have used CQUK 3.0 and it's pretty straight forward to use. I would give CQUK 3.0 a go.

Also for those that say you don't need a prep wipe with Essence, I would have to disagree and still recommend a prep wipe. The reason why is to remove any residual oils from the polish. I still do a prep wipe with Eraser even after Essence has been sitting on the paint overnight to let the SiO2 in it cure while the residual oils evaporate off the surface. I want to ensure that there is nothing in the way of the coating bonding to the surface. I do the same prep process with either version of cquartz.

I guess you know better than the manufacturer:
    "However, CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer is the perfect prep polish when used before applying a coating of CarPro CQuartz. After being polished with CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer, your paint will bond quickly and effectively with CarPro CQuartz, or even CarPro Reload, creating a hard layer of protection."

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1595385]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have not used Gyeon One but I have read it is not the most user friendly coating. I have used CQUK 3.0 and it's pretty straight forward to use. I would give CQUK 3.0 a go.

I guess you know better than the manufacturer:
    "However, CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer is the perfect prep polish when used before applying a coating of CarPro CQuartz. After being polished with CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer, your paint will bond quickly and effectively with CarPro CQuartz, or even CarPro Reload, creating a hard layer of protection."
    And how many times has the manufacturer gone back and forth on what to do and what not to do. Corey himself is even on video mentioning a prep wipe. Also did I ever say that I know better than the manufacturer? I have done my fair share of coatings so I am giving my advice on what has worked for me. It is up to the OP to take that and decide what to do.

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    1)
    - CarPro Eraser
    - Cquartz UK 3.0 coating

2)
    - Gyeon Q2 primer
    - Gyeon Prep
    - Gyeon Q2 One

Is one better than the other, or easier, or more foolproof? I am a complete beginner.
    I'm biased towards GYEON's Syncro. 2 Layers of Mohs as the hard-coat. Stupid easy to use. Layer two is even better. Last layer is SKIN which gives you crazy hydrophobic property and goes on so easy you'll be laughing.

UK 3.0 is good stuff too. Can't go wrong. Both systems are essentially the same and easy to use.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The Guz;1595390]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

And how many times has the manufacturer gone back and forth on what to do and what not to do. Corey himself is even on video mentioning a prep wipe. Also did I ever say that I know better than the manufacturer? I have done my fair share of coatings so I am giving my advice on what has worked for me. It is up to the OP to take that and decide what to do.
    If Corey knows that they might be a problem by not wiping down (Eraser/IPA) after using Essence and before applying CQuartz, he should have AG correct the instructions on AG website. The quote was from AG web site.
    BTW I have recommended no wipe down after polishing with Essence to over 50 customers, including detailers and never received one complaint, including myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend CQUK 3.0 over Gyeon One. CQUK shows me better performance and it was easier to work with compared to One. Don't count out Sonax Polymer Net Shield or Gyeon CanCoat, these are two that I would more recommend to less experienced users compared to a full coating like CQUK. They will deliver very similar short term coating level performance, 6 months durability as opposed to 1+ years but without being as stringent to work with. However, if you're set on trying out a full coating, CQUK I consider the better option in every category against One.

10. Likes The Guz, BudgetPlan1, GEM65 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Hi!

I just bought my first new car and I want to take good care of it, so I've been reading up. I have been washing it with ONR and applying OptiSeal as a drying aid. I also decontaminated it with an iron remover and a clay mitt. I invested in a bunch of nice microfiber towels.
    Welcome to AGO!

IMO it doesn't have any significant scratches or marring. I may be missing it, though. It's a dark grey Acura.

I want to take the next step and put a coating on before winter. I have been researching. My plan is to buy:
    - Griot's Garage 6 inch random orbital polisher
    - Griot's 5 inch backing plate
    Good choice, the tool will not let you down. Here's an article I wrote with a TON of information plus the links to the AG store to get what you need. There's also a video that shows you everything you need to know to use this type of tool.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

I know I need a bunch of pads. I was going to buy a 6 pack of the Lake Country Flat 5.5 inch flat pads, but confused which ones to buy. The green ones?
    I don't use the green pads much but for no reason. The are a "polishing" pad that leans to the soft side instead of the aggressive side so might be perfect for your car.

Green Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

Maybe get some orange pads too in case you need to do some correction work in the future.

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads

1)
    - CarPro Eraser
    - Cquartz UK 3.0 coating

2)
    - Gyeon Q2 primer
    - Gyeon Prep
    - Gyeon Q2 One

To be honest, both of your selections are good choices and as long as you take your time when applying the coating you're going to get great results. It's kind of like asking which is better, Meguiar's M26 or Mothers California Gold Carnauba Paste Wax, they are both great choices for a carnauba based finishing wax.

Hang tight, let me get you a few more resources to help you out.

Mike Phillips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast