autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping HD Speed with sealant

I was planning to use Wolfgang paint sealant as a topper over HD Speed. Maybe a couple weeks apart. My concern is I don’t know what the protectant is in the Speed. It only says wax on the bottle and nothing about polymer. Since doing sealant over wax would be a waste of time I’d like to know what’s really in there before I use it. Should I just polish and seal instead? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping HD Speed with sealant

Look up HD Poxy. That's what the wax in Speed is. Montan wax.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I did go back and read the description of HD Speed and it does clearly say wax. Did some paintwork on a door bottom on my truck and am also prepping the front bumper for paint. I’ll need to compound anyway so might as well just do the whole thing and use sealant. Thanks.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1, PurpleTowel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soobaroo View Post
    I did go back and read the description of HD Speed and it does clearly say wax. Did some paintwork on a door bottom on my truck and am also prepping the front bumper for paint. I’ll need to compound anyway so might as well just do the whole thing and use sealant. Thanks.

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Same case here. I put on Speed last weekend and was hoping on letting the protection wear off for a week or two and then top with PBL sealant. I think I’m still going to try this anyways as Speed is said to have poor durability and 10 days of rain should hopefully weaken enough that the sealant can bond.

Note that someone on the forum mentioned WG DGPS had trouble bonding to Speed, but many other accounts say that the topping sealant performed fine on top of Speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Same case here. I put on Speed last weekend and was hoping on letting the protection wear off for a week or two and then top with PBL sealant. I think I’m still going to try this anyways as Speed is said to have poor durability and 10 days of rain should hopefully weaken enough that the sealant can bond.

Note that someone on the forum mentioned WG DGPS had trouble bonding to Speed, but many other accounts say that the topping sealant performed fine on top of Speed.
    If the directions on the sealant say to apply to a wax free surface, a cleaner wax isn't going to accommodate that particular situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    If the directions on the sealant say to apply to a wax free surface, a cleaner wax isn't going to accommodate that particular situation.
    Directions state to clay or polish if necessary. I may consider adding 1-2oz APC to my wash solution prior to adding the PBL sealant, but I’m skeptical whether that’s even necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Directions state to clay or polish if necessary. I may consider adding 1-2oz APC to my wash solution prior to adding the PBL sealant, but I’m skeptical whether that’s even necessary.
    That might be overkill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    That might be overkill.
    Agree. With easy going directions such as “Clay or polish if necessary”, no mention of sparkling clean surface required, I’m liking the chances of PBL sealant having enough bonding capability to handle a 10 day old Speed app underneath... my guess is that the sealant will remove the weak Speed during application.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: The horror of it all!!! My wife took her car into the dealer today and I forgot to tell her not to let them wash it! Until I get home from work and see for myself, I’m going to assume swirls now exist on her newly-Speed-polished-surface, and that the protection may be totally compromised at this point.

Maybe I’m over worrying and it won’t be too bad (I’m praying I don’t find significant swirling). Not worried about the protection loss since I’m trying to put sealant on soon. I’m sad right now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast