autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Measurement Gauges

Hi Mike!

I have a question for you with regards to paint measuring devices. It seems that many of todays modern vehicles are going away from metals on certain body panels, and my question is, how is the best way to address this with paint readings?
    I've been talking with someone in the industry who said, "there are no gauges on the market that measure paint on plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber." However, Defelsko has the model 200 that will measure for plastic and fiberglass. Is this the only option currently on the market that will measure paint on these surfaces? And or is there a more budget conscious option that will work for under $1k?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Mike Phillips

Re: Paint Measurement Gauges

Quick question...

Are you just starting out? Or established?

If you're just starting out you don't need one. You might want one but you don't need one. You have common sense that will get you buy. You will use a PTG for marketing more than for safety if you have common sense.

Also, there are no budget paint gauges for non metal surfaces and if there were, well you get what you pay for.

The best all around paint thickness gauge is the $700.00 unit from Defelsko. Here's an article I wrote about it. Anyone serious about this business just save up and DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. Avoid the cheapie knock-offs from other countries and get the American made standard.

All about the Defelsko Paint Thickness Gauge by Mike Phillips

The pain from purchasing this $700.00 unit will fade away after years of ACCURATE and EASY use.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Measurement Gauges

Mike,

Thank you for your response. I have been doing details as a hobby for quite a few years, and have decided to make a job of it recently. So while the business is new, it's not new if that makes sense.

I understand using it as a "marketing" tool and that is my plan moving forward. I don't see this particular Defelsko tool on AG any longer. Is it just out of stock, or was it replaced with the Defelsko 6000?

Thanks,

Scott