autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wax on wax off

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax on wax off

This is my first post here I really hope someone can guide me in the right direction, I’ve searched YouTube (probably not using the right words) and can’t find anyone addressing the issue I’m having. So,,, I just bought my dream car, after owning several mustangs and a couple years of searching I now have a 2012 Shelby GT500 with only 5450 miles on it ,,I’m trying to get the wax off the edges of the mat black vinyl stripes I was able to get the surface of the stripes completely clean but I’m afraid to try anything without seeking some advice for fear I will damage the vinyl and/or the Adhesive.
    Thanks Eric Manning

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax on wax off

Hey Eric, Welcome to the forum. As a GT350 owner, this is how I tackled the stripe situation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wax on wax off-home-jpg   Wax on wax off-nostripe-jpg  

3. Thanks Eric Manning thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Very helpful suggestion!

You can try some clay, but a little Dawn should clean you right up.
    Congrats on the GT500!

5. Thanks Eric Manning thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

have you tried a medium to hard tooth brush with some APC ??

7. Thanks Eric Manning thanked for this post
    Likes Eric Manning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a detailing brush like this 1 w/some detail spray or diluted APC and gently agitate along the edges and it should come clean.

If for some reason that doesn’t work [I can’t imagine it wouldn’t] you can try using a bamboo skewer, but you better be careful.

9. Likes Eric Manning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DTruck View Post
    Lol. Very helpful suggestion!

You can try some clay, but a little Dawn should clean you right up.
    Congrats on the GT500!
    Clay tends to get stuck inside tiny cracks & crevices, so it would more than likely add to the problem.

11. Likes DETAILROOKIE, Eric Manning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, and welcome to the Forum!

You might get many suggestions from some of the members here. Some may be sound methods of cleaning, but here's my take.

That this has been the bane of many wipe on wipe off waxes and sealants for donkey's years. How to then get to residues out of the cracks, crevices, around and within Badges, Seams, etc.

I know well from experience that any sort of physical rubbing, or the use of tools like Detailing Brushes, Toothbrushes, or harsh cleaners and scrubs will more than likely cause marring, scratching of the paint and damage to the Decals as well.

That leaves another method then, some other form of chemical removal. But what?

The theme will be to use something as gentle as possible, and to use gentle physical means.

Now some might say a prep cleaning agent, maybe something like Carpro Eraser, which is a gentle diluted Alcohol base cleaner used to prep surfaces prior to applying Ceramic Coatings. This might work without causing any damage to paint or decals.

What I myself might be more inclined to try, would be what we folks here call a WOWA Sealant (Wipe On Walk Away). These products are generally crystal clear fluids which contain polymers, but contain no abrasives or detergent cleaners, they leave basically no residues behind after use. I've come to love many of these types of products for their ease of use in areas where the wipe on wipe off products prove problematic, like Door Jambs, Trunk and inside Hood detailing, and any other areas that might prove difficult with cruds left behind.

I am maybe thinking to perhaps use with a new small applicator pad, either Microfiber, or Foam, and to let the carrier solvents in these relatively safe to decals products gently dissolve and remove these residues you experience.

I myself would rather try this first, than go to a more harsher method or product.

Such products I might suggest would be Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Optimum Opti-Seal. There's probably some others I'm forgetting.

If I'm wrong with such suggestions, then other members please correct me.
    For sure, these two I mention above will not scratch or damage the paint or decals.

13. Thanks Eric Manning thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Clay tends to get stuck inside tiny cracks & crevices, so it would more than likely add to the problem.
    I've had luck with the Mother's Speedclay. Helped me take off wax and latex paint on a customer's truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

15. Thanks Eric Manning thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A toothpick works great for getting old dried wax from the edges of stripes or other decal/films... And it won't cause scratches and/or marring to the surrounding paint like a brush will.

17. Likes TTQ B4U, Eric Manning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•I like using “Dried-on Wax Removers”;
    -the ones from Griot’s Garage, and
    McKee’s 37, to be more specific.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

19. Thanks Eric Manning thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.