autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finishing polish suggestion

Hello,

Long time lurker here. Just wondering what detailers around here think about the following polishes. Im almost out of Carpro Essence and have been thinking of trying something else. Was looking at Griot Perfecting Cream and HD polish. Both of those are about $15 cheaper than Essence for the same volume. Usually I'm dealing with light scratches/swirls.

Anyone with experience using them, opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing polish suggestion

Both of those are excellent finishing polishes and excellent values. I own and have used both. You can adjust the finish by adjusting your pad. IE: orange, white etc.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

3. Thanks frag2 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 2 Finishing Polishes. 1. Menzerna SF4500 (I believe it is SF3800 now) 2. 3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish. I know 3M says this product is designed for rotaries only, however, I have had no issues with any DA. That includes my PC7424XP. I mainly use this product with my Flex 3401. Both of these products get rid of light scratches and swirls. They don't dust either.

But these are my 2 go-to finishing polishes.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

5. Thanks frag2 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your suggestions, and as well the other poster's are all good ones.
    Another good Finishing Polish to not overlook, is fairly priced, and is easily gotten is Meguairs #205 Ultra Finishing Polish in the qt beige bottle.

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think about getting both. I have not tried the GG but on 2 of the 3 cars I tried the HD/3D polish's on I found them to be too much trouble to work with. They had a very short working time and tough to remove. From all the rave reviews here I am sure mine was an isolated case but the problems I encountered were on a black 2012 KIA and a black 2015 F150 even tho were fine on my Audi. Between the two that caused problems it was all the forms of them polish+, Adapt. cut+, 501 and 502.

On the 150 it was polish+, adapt, and 502 on the KIA it was cut+, adapt and 501. I ended up going with FG400 on the KIA and SF3500 on the 150. What I am saying is it doesn't hurt to have more than one polish available considering each paint is different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Both of those are excellent finishing polishes and excellent values. I own and have used both. You can adjust the finish by adjusting your pad. IE: orange, white etc.
    ^^^This^^^

You turned me on to Speed, and from there I've gotten a few more HD products. Love them.

Was curious about the GG Boss line, so I ordered Fast CC, CC, and PC. Also, VISITOR was kind enough to send me a sample of the Finishing Sealant.

IMO, 3D and GG are almost interchangeable. Both lines are excellent.

Have not got to test the FS vs. Speed yet as it's still #*@! winter here, but looking forward to it.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

HD Polish+, M205, Jescar Finishing Polish, Rupes Keramik

Scholl S40, Rupes Diamond

Menz 3800 never really made much of a difference for me. Scholl S40 doesn't do much on some paint, but when it finds a soft, sticky paint it likes it's really good.

Post Thanks / Like

The two I use most are M205, and Keramik, followed by Menzerna SF4000 (3500) and Ultimate Polish.

M205 I buy by the gallon. I like the consistency of the liquid, and I like the feel it creates on the paint surface as I'm polishing. I like the way it can be more or less aggressive depending on pad choice, pressure, and tool speed. I also like that I don't have to cycle the abrasives down. I can do one pass, and see where I'm at. Sometimes one or two passes with M205 is all I need, which make for a huge time and effort savings. It has done great with all the tools I've used it on - Flex PE14, Flex 3401, Porter Cable 7424, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Mini. M205 is also one of the easiest for residue wipe off, which again makes for great efficiency.

I've had one black vehicle where it just wouldn't finish down, but looking back, I may not have been aggressive enough to remove the d/a haze created by the D300/microfiber. In that case Menzerna PF2500 on LC Tangerine Hydrotech pads ended up being all I needed to complete the job.

I find that It's ridiculously easy for me to attain unreasonable levels of gloss with Menzerna SF4000. True I have to cycle the abrasives, but the finish it leaves is undeniable. Seems to be an underrated product these days, and I tend to save it for the more critical finishing jobs.

Rupes Keramik is another polish that is very easy to get great gloss. Recently learned that It's a non diminishing abrasive product (Obsessed Garage with Jason Rose sanding video), so I'll have to experiment short cycling it. On foam it does a great job cleaning up light defects, much like SF4000 (3500), but also works great with microfiber pads for more moderate defects. I get a lot of mileage from Keramik on microfiber for one step jobs. The performance, and result reminds me a lot of Menzerna SF4000. It just a bit easier to wipe off.

12. Likes mbkite, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfecting Cream is actually pretty nice. I was not a fan of HD Polish.

Others have mentioned other good finishing polishes. Sonax EX 04-06, Optimum Hyper Polish and Gyeon Polish are a couple more.

14. Likes k35fields liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO it depends on what you are going to apply after the finishing polish. If you are going to apply cquartz coating I would not switch to another finishing polish. Just cause essence is a primer with a smaller amount of abrasive than a polish and it has sio2 that extend the longevity of carpro coatings. If you like how essence corrects and finish I would go with carpro reflect. Which is the same abrasive as in essence but more of them in reflect.

Otherwise you have got some great recommendation above.

16. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast