autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me not succumb to temptation

They recently installed a brand new touchless car wash less than a mile from my house. Temps here have been in the low 40's and too cold for this old man to wash his car ... even when using a bucket of hot soapy water. The result is a filthy, daily driven Camaro that is just horrendous to look at.

Part of me is saying, "Just leave it alone, it may be dirty, but you won't put swirls in it and the Ult Fast Finish will last longer not being exposed to the strong soaps of a touchless." The other part of me is saying, "IT'S DIRTY, USE THE TOUCHLESS, IT WON'T SWIRL THE PAINT .... you can use D115 on it after and add a little bit of protection."

Oh, the horror! I know it's WAY too cold to use ANY form of wax or sealant on it and I have no heated area to re-wax the car after going through the touchless.

What do I do!
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me not succumb to temptation

Touchless is fine. Especially if your vehicle is sealed and or coated. I will run both of ours through one if it's nasty dirty and then will pull it in the garage to rinseless wash it. The only downside would be possible water spots from any residual water/soap being you have a black car.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go through the touchless when you can't take living with a filthy car anymore and hope that you have a nice enough day here and there throughout the winter where you can bucket wash the car.

5. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the touchless a few times in the winter to knock the road salt off, but fortunately we only generally have only 4 or 5 winter storms a year. I'll do a rinseless wash when its in the 40's. I use a pair of the kitchen dishwashing gloves to keep my hands reasonably warm in the process.

I usually use 476S or FK 1000P as winter protection, and the soap at the touchless really doesn't seem to affect them to any noticeable extent.

7. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://countrycleancarwash.com/tallmadge-self-serve/

Here is the link to the car wash, of course I'm going "Bronze" because I have had the car undercoated and don't want it blasted by HP water
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did it. Lots of suds & foam, lots of high pressure water (my car bounced around like a pinball) and high velocity air drying. All in all, not a bad job, it left a light film that can only be removed by "touching" the car, but nothing I would feel uncomfortable about using a Waterless Wash (and WW scare me).
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would want the under carriage blast. My car is not undercoated either, but would rather wash away as much as possible. Go silver IMO.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don - this is my plan for this winter. Go to the self serve in the evening and do a bucket wash and just use the self serve water. But been thinking about getting the WORX battery powered power wash and just do the bucket wash in the driveway (if not below freezing). I'm in my 70's and the cold and I don't get along very well.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry I see yours is undercoated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I would feel uncomfortable about using a Waterless Wash (and WW scare me).
    Do a modified version. Spray bottle or garden sprayer and a handful of fully soaked 480gsm rags. You'll be fine. I do mine all the time with zero issues. Key is to ensure you use light pressure, roll the rag as you wipe to ensure you're using a clean surface to wipe. When drying, use a damp towel, never a dry one.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

16. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.