autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me not succumb to temptation

I meant to say that even though typically WW scare me, but this no touch wash leaves only a VERY light film, it would not be noticeable if I didn't have a black car, so I would feel comfortable doing a WW.

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Do a modified version. Spray bottle or garden sprayer and a handful of fully soaked 480gsm rags. You'll be fine. I do mine all the time with zero issues. Key is to ensure you use light pressure, roll the rag as you wipe to ensure you're using a clean surface to wipe. When drying, use a damp towel, never a dry one.

Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Having lived in the NE, for many a year, I feel for you guys/gals that still live up there. I don't miss the snow/salt/black ice/the cold...brrr... Sorry, rubbin' it in, ain't I?

Interesting concept, though, the touchless. Down close to my house, they still use those leather (or whatever material it is) strips, and whirlies with the same, just smaller strips. I stay away.
    Like music? Take a listen to mine - https://open.spotify.com/artist/7pWqQ66bxR8J8IYGQPQXrD

Post Thanks / Like

Understand that a touch-less is only going to remove the top layer on a dirty car, no matter what LSP you have laid down. Your also going to want to clean all the windows at the gas station because the touch-less will never ever clean the windows properly, something to always remember.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My truck is a Dk. Granite Grey Met. and and it usually look really bad all winter long . Just as bad as black cars I have had in the past. Normally I will go to the coin operated wash just to rinse off all the dirty snow and salt maybe once a week depending on the temp. and maybe two times during the winter I will go thru my touchless car wash the last one to get the undercarriage clean just when spring is " really " here . Then it gets the home treatment .
    Quick question..... , Is it true salt doesn't do damage to the paint when the air temp. is below freezing ? Have always heard this .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    sorry I see yours is undercoated.
    Yeah, if it wasn't I would definitely get the chassis spray.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

7. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Quick question..... , Is it true salt doesn't do damage to the paint when the air temp. is below freezing ? Have always heard this .
    I always *thought* that if it was too cold for the salt to melt the ice, then it was too cold to cause harm ... but what do I know? Besides, if it were that cold, you wouldn't be washing the car anyway.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I always *thought* that if it was too cold for the salt to melt the ice, then it was too cold to cause harm ... but what do I know? Besides, if it were that cold, you wouldn't be washing the car anyway.

Hey Don - the touchless 1 mile down the street might be a Godsend for you over the winter. As you just did, take it there (only when necessary) and get the bronze package. When you get home consider a quick waterless wash (spray) followed by an application of spray wax to boost your LSP shine/protection through the winter.

P.S. I don't have a touchless anywhere near me (wish I did) but I did install a 10 gallon tank in my garage which is connected to a power washer. So I am now able to fill the tank with warm water and wash our cars in winter. I use the power washer to remove the heavy dirt. At this point I have not touched the paint with my hands/mitt/towel. Then spray the car with a waterless to loosen what dirt remains and add lubrication - letting it dwell for a few mins. I still have not touched the car. Finally I perform a rinseless wash w/ wax (e.g. McKee's Rinseless wash/wax) topped with a spray wax on days when it is below 35. On days above 35, I will apply an LSP if the schedule calls for it. Yes it sounds like a lot of work but to be honest its not and keeps the cars spotless and protected all winter. It becomes a routine that is really no different than the other months of the year.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Dealing with winter in NE Ohio i just accept the fact our cars ain't gonna look nice and kinda click into 'preservation' mode.

If we do get a day where the temps rise to near 50, normal foam/bucket wash. Otherwise I just let 'em get dirty, run through touchless soap/rinse place once a month or so. Cars are coated so that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the car wash doesn't have the "curtains" then you should be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    As long as the car wash doesn't have the "curtains" then you should be ok.
    Nope, no curtains. Absolutely NOTHING touches the car except for the soap & high pressure water.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.