autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did my dryer kill my microfibers

I own towels dating back to 2006 that have been dried on high heat that are still in perfectly good shape. I'm not convince that most homeowner grade dryers get hot enough to harm them. I can measure the temperature inside the drum and at the heating element next time I run mine if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

If you compare how cotton towels gets after some time. They start out with softness and then they get more rough depending on the quality and some other things. Have your mf towels lost their softness and ability to souk water. Then it can have with how you dry them or they just have been used enough. I check from time to time with the cd scratch test and see if it gets scratches on it. Or if I feel that the softness is gone and I not trust that they don't scratch I toss them or use them on something else that is a harder material than paint. You can by a couple of new mf and compare them with the old ones. It's so much up to you to determind and judge if they are good enough to use on your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    wash in warm water with an extra rinse cycle. then dry on low heat with no dryer sheet. done.
    This is exactly how I do mine. I'll sometimes do a rinse with white vinegar as well.

There is a definite difference in the Creature Edgeless towels I washed and dried on high heat, and the ones that have undergone the current process. The fibers closed loop, and are fatter, almost matted on the ones done with high heat. The others are almost like they were the day I received them, even after two years. I got them both on the same order. The only thing that changed is the process.

Performance wise, the older ones still work great though. No marring, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    This is exactly how I do mine. I'll sometimes do a rinse with white vinegar as well.

There is a definite difference in the Creature Edgeless towels I washed and dried on high heat, and the ones that have undergone the current process. The fibers closed loop, and are fatter, almost matted on the ones done with high heat. The others are almost like they were the day I received them, even after two years. I got them both on the same order. The only thing that changed is the process.

Performance wise, the older ones still work great though. No marring, etc.
    i use a dedicated microfiber wash so i don't feel the need to add vinegar to the extra rinse cycle...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legumes View Post
    I own towels dating back to 2006 that have been dried on high heat that are still in perfectly good shape. I'm not convince that most homeowner grade dryers get hot enough to harm them. I can measure the temperature inside the drum and at the heating element next time I run mine if anyone is interested.
    Yes, please do and let us know.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I am in the process of going through and pouring a dab of water on each one to see if it soaks up quickly or just runs off. So far all of my good ones I have checked are ok. Some of my Costco ones are not so good. I only use them for lower panels and door jams anyway. It wil be a long process but I am going to check each one. I will tell my wife no more drying on hi! Hopfully she won't say to dry them myself

Thanks agian!

Post Thanks / Like

I've charred some microfibers in the dryer. In essence, the strands in a certain spot literally fused into a lump and the overall characteristics of the microfiber changed. The spots that didn't fuse together remained forever matted down. So for those of you claiming high dryer heat can't kill a microfiber, your dryer either doesn't get hot enough or you are not observant enough.

I learned my lesson with heat in a dryer, now I just fluff them on no or low heat to get the fibers to stand up. Then I line dry.

I mean c'mon people, the manufacturers explicitly say don't use high heat.

Post Thanks / Like

People still have drying lines?
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, people have drying lines. Pretty common feature in a home with a backyard (I have it, and I use it). I accidentally typed line dry instead of hang dry, though, which is what I really do. I bought several indoor clothes drying rack to dry my microfiber indoors so they don't get debris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juvefan30 View Post
    I've charred some microfibers in the dryer. In essence, the strands in a certain spot literally fused into a lump and the overall characteristics of the microfiber changed. The spots that didn't fuse together remained forever matted down. So for those of you claiming high dryer heat can't kill a microfiber, your dryer either doesn't get hot enough or you are not observant enough.

I learned my lesson with heat in a dryer, now I just fluff them on no or low heat to get the fibers to stand up. Then I line dry.

I mean c'mon people, the manufacturers explicitly say don't use high heat.
    Any pics?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast