autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes UHS system...how to identify "ultra high solids" clear, or which cars use it?

Title pretty much says it all. I'm very intrigued by the UHS system as a potential option for a mid-range package. My best seller is my AIO 'daily driver' kind of deal using Mckees 360. I'm thinking of a single stage plus a good sealant a la powerlock as a slight upgrade to that package. With that in mind, the single polishing stage needs to be able to clean up the paint better than what 360 is capable of, and does not need to leave behind its own protection. This is what has me looking at a few options, but the UHS system is really attractive for this role.

With that said, UHS stands for 'ultra high solids' which is the type of paint/clear the system was designed for. Does that mean the newer more scratch-resistant clears that are coming out of europe and asia these days, and how do you identify it? Are there certain manufacturers that use it on their full range or is it a model by model case?

Or is it more aimed at repaint work with the traditionally harder clear they utilize?

Obviously the UHS system will work on all clear coat finishes with what I assume would be varying degrees of success. It would just be nice to be able to say right out of the gate "OK, I know this car uses UHS paint and I need the UHS system for it". Obviously a test spot will still be required and a best practice, but you could definitely cut down the time required to test combos if you can go straight to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes UHS system...how to identify "ultra high solids" clear, or which cars use it?

Hey dude, if you're looking to use uhs, you need to get the rupes uhs pads. I would suggest sonax cut and finish for a one step. It's probably the best one step levelling fluid I've ever used.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes UHS system...how to identify "ultra high solids" clear, or which cars use it?

Also note: I asked this here because I know mike has first hand experience with UHS, but if it needs to be moved to the Rupes section that's cool too.

Post Thanks / Like

yep, i bought the 250ml bottle and 2 6" UHS pads for use on my boss g15 to give it a shot before I go prime-time with it. I really do like the Sonax stuff and have been a Menzerna fanboy for a long time. I do need to try some Sonax stuff.

5. Likes Powerman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like sonax because i prefer water based polishes, it's a lot easier to deal with any potential dusting on the car than oil based. Also makes it easier to remove polish residue since my lsp of choice is usually a coating.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

The UHS system cuts a bit harder, and finishes a tad better than the Quarz/green pad combo.

The concept behind UHS is that it will stay wetter longer than a heavy cut polish, allowing the abrasives (which were also designed to endure an extended polishing cycle) to continue working on the paint. Sometimes the lubricant in a heavy compound will dry up before it can affect a hard surface.

The combos I use in that application (in no particular order):
    UHS system
    Quarz / Yellow foam
    Keramik / Yellow Microfiber
    Menzerna PF2500 / Lake Country Tangerine Hydrotech
    Meguiar's M205 / Yellow Rupes Microfiber.

I'll follow that with Rupes 808, Optimum Opti-Seal or Car Wax, and Duragloss 101, or 111. Thinking about switching back to DG for maximum longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I like sonax because i prefer water based polishes, it's a lot easier to deal with any potential dusting on the car than oil based. Also makes it easier to remove polish residue since my lsp of choice is usually a coating.
    UHS doesn't dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so then UHS pretty much bridges the Blue and green steps into a single step? Not quite as much cut as blue/blue, but more cut than green/green, but finishes as good or better than green/green.

With that in mind, could be a great one step for a wide range of paint systems except maybe the really soft stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying uhs dusts, I was just saying why I prefer water based liquids. I know rupes has some pretty good leveling fluids but just too oily for me personally.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

UHS needs to be used with its grey pad, any softer pad and its a finishing polish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast