autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with pc/gg or go straight for a rupes/flex

I have been washing, claying, hand waxing vehicles on the side in my area for years. Recently I have more and more people want me to get into correction work and I would also like to do the same on my own vehicle as well. Since there is no one in my area that is reputable I figured it wouldn't be a bad Idea to learn the correction process. My question is do I start out with a pc 7424xp or griots garage, or should I go ahead and get a rupes or flex? I'd hate to get pc/gg and end up wanting to upgrade in a year or so, but I don't want to get something that is too far out of my league either.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Start with pc/gg or go straight for a rupes/flex

IMO everyone (detailer/enthusiast) should own at least one traditional pc-style DA (i've said it many times). it's versatile and with different backing plates and pads you can cover a lot of ground. pass on the pcxp and get the GG6 instead. later down the line you can pick up a flex or long throw DA to add to your arsenal..

Post Thanks / Like

Ok that's what I was thinking but didn't want to make a wrong decision. Which kit do you recommend? Meguirs, pinnacle, griots?

Post Thanks / Like

pass on the kits unless you're going to use everything in it. i would rather pick and choose exactly what i want and will use. here's a great article by mike...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    IMO everyone (detailer/enthusiast) should own at least one traditional pc-style DA (i've said it many times). it's versatile and with different backing plates and pads you can cover a lot of ground. pass on the pcxp and get the GG6 instead. later down the line you can pick up a flex or long throw DA to add to your arsenal..

+1. Start with a PC as it's cheaper but can still correct and finish great - see the numerous Mike Phillips videos where he's produced jaw dropping results with just a PC. You can learn to get the feel of how to correct paint over a period of time. Then upgrade to a flex/rupes at some point and keep your PC as a dedicated 3" polisher (which you'll use a ton getting into smaller areas or curves so you can easily switch back and forth). It can also be used to attach brush attachments for scrubbing wheels or carpet and works phenomenally.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more with both VISITOR and Boomdone! If I was just started out again I would get myself a Griots 6" for the versatility, power and warranty. Even if you decide to upgrade later to a more expensive machine you'll still find the GG unit helpful.

Having said that, I still have and use my old Porter Cable DA. I don't think you'd go wrong with a PC but I just personally favor the Griots unit for the reasons mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are only going to get one machine,get the flex/rupes you like and grow into it. There may be a bit of a learning curve but not to the point you would do any damage. If you plan on getting more than 1 machine, the 6" griots is a good starter tool. You will find other uses for it when you do upgrade in the future.