autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: new to AG

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

new to AG

Hi

I bought used 2013 Challenger. Original owner drove it and not sure of detailing history. It has some minor swirls, had some door dings which for the most part were flexed out. No flaps so the wide tires have abraided the paint a bit from sand on behind wheels. It is Jazz Pearl Metallic Blue with the black RT hockey stick logo down the sides.

I clayed it last year and used a coat of Meguairs Ultimate Liquid Wax, and another coat this year.

I was wondering if I would be better to use Finish care 1000p, then I read that after a few days wash and dry and use a coat of Finish Care 2685 to pop the shine, color, depth? I am real new to getting the super shine.

I tried clay on my truck and Ultimate polish with a 7 inch orbital Simoniz polisher, then a coat of Ultimate Liquid wax. Not too bad for a 1995 that sits in sun, snow etc. Got a few minor holograms. I think because the 7 inch Simoniz is just too heavy when reaching over a tall hood. But I am new to this.

Like to shine up Challenger, bring down the minor swirls, protect and make it stand out. But I am afraid of making a mess too. I know some waxes whiten black trim/logos?

I appreciate your time

ron3033

new to AG-chally-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: new to AG

Quote Originally Posted by ron3033 View Post

Hi

I bought used 2013 Challenger. Original owner drove it and not sure of detailing history. It has some minor swirls, had some door dings which for the most part were flexed out.
    Hi Ron,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I tried clay on my truck and Ultimate polish with a 7 inch orbital Simoniz polisher

Got a few minor holograms. I think because the 7 inch Simoniz is just too heavy when reaching over a tall hood.

Without seeing the polisher it was either something like the traditioinal orbital buffer on the left or the rotary buffer on the right...

For what you want to do both are in-effective.

Like to shine up Challenger, bring down the minor swirls, protect and make it stand out. But I am afraid of making a mess too. I know some waxes whiten black trim/logos?

I appreciate your time

ron3033

You are starting out like so many others that have gone before you including yours truly.

My strongest recommendation would be to invest in a quality tool and also a very SAFE and easy to learn tool like the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher.

I have a brand new and fully detailed article on this tool, the pads and backing plates you'll need and TONS of other information you'll need to know to become as good at machine polishing as any of us.

Here's the link, please read through it and also watch the video I shared. In the video I show a Porter Cable and it is the same type of tool and cost a few dollars less but the Griot's has the best warranty and a lot more usable power so in my opinion it is a much better value for your money.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

I have to compile a list of people to send the VIF form to and then Bobby and I are leaving to shoot some TV commercials and also teach some detailing classes in Orlando at the Ace Café car shows tonight and tomorrow night. I will check back in on this thread to try to help out.

We are crashing the Ace Cafe!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike
    Thanks this is what I tried in my truck with waffle sponges yellow for polish, black for wax, hand buffed micro fibre, polish with fluffy 7 inch bonnet. The brute is heavy when reaching.
    Suggestions for Challenger most appreciated. I gather the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher. is a bit easier to handle and better for me as a newbie. haha! I am not sure if the photo of the Challenger helped but it is only one I had, as it is raining heavy and Challenger is covered by Noah cover. Look forward to suggestions. it seemed that the Finish Kare had good review, but then so doe most others too.
    This post is what got me to sign up to AG forums this was so amazing.
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1517817
    Look forward to you help when you return, safe travels.
    ron3033

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO and your new ride (to you). You will be able to take care of your new baby after learning from many of the posts here. Get Mike Phillips book too! That alone is worth its weight in gold!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ron3033!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, really informative site.... you have a nice ride there. Mine was a long time dream, and this came up used with 18000 miles and good price so the Mrs. said just buy it! So we did and love it. Thought we had the only one that color in town, well low and behold when the guy up the street opened his garage .... same color but not an RT Classic, just the V6 version. We had a laugh. ron3033
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Welcome to AGO and your new ride (to you). You will be able to take care of your new baby after learning from many of the posts here. Get Mike Phillips book too! That alone is worth its weight in gold!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul good reading here and good way to learn from pro detailers.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.