autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Tools to remove seats with?

Hello! So I am wondering who here takes out seats when they detail cars? also is there some type of seat removal kit? I ask because I the ones I have thought about taking out didnt look like a bolt ... one was a honda pilot.. it had some weird smooth solid Cylinder looking thing coming out of the seat railing. It also had Zero room to turn it. I couldn't pull it off and there was nothing under the vehicle. So when I come across that stuff it makes me wonder how to do it and if there are special tools for it.

But there are times where it would have saved me time and made it a lot easier to get to if I could do it quickly.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tools to remove seats with?

I personally would never remove seats because of the liability you can incur. If a former client were to get in an accident and something went wrong with a seat, well, no matter how much insurance you have (hopefully if you do this for a living) you may still be open for a civil lawsuit. Remove clients seats at your own risk. Not too mention if you screw up the electronics that control the seats and heating and cooling of the seats.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I would second Custmsprty. Especially if you're not 100% confident removing them.

You also open yourself up to the potential for damaging trim that may need to come off to access securing hardware. Then there's the risk of scratching trim or consoles when you're trying to snake the seat out. You'd be surprised how heavy/awkward seats can be to get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I personally would never remove seats because of the liability you can incur. If a former client were to get in an accident and something went wrong with a seat, well, no matter how much insurance you have (hopefully if you do this for a living) you may still be open for a civil lawsuit. Remove clients seats at your own risk. Not too mention if you screw up the electronics that control the seats and heating and cooling of the seats.
    ya I thought about that too... but I thought how hard could it really be to put back in at the right torque settings. Heck I dont know.. but ya I was thinking about that liability stuff too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I would second Custmsprty. Especially if you're not 100% confident removing them.

You also open yourself up to the potential for damaging trim that may need to come off to access securing hardware. Then there's the risk of scratching trim or consoles when you're trying to snake the seat out. You'd be surprised how heavy/awkward seats can be to get out.
    ya thats true too. I guess they could be kinda tough to get out ... hmm I just see, here and there, people doing it and looks like they just take them right out and right back in. But like you said I am not familiar with it. I would like to get to that point though where I could do it quickly if I needed to or to make it a lot easier to clean. I dont know

Post Thanks / Like

Without the customers signing off on a release form I wouldn't even consider removing seats. And my release form would be written by an an attorney. And that being said I still wouldn't do it.

Arbitrarily dismantling customers cars w/o their permsission for simple carpet cleaning or detailing is opening up pandora's box. Some may choose to do so, but the liabilities are far from worth it.

Is detailing your primary form of income? Are you an LLC? Do you have liability insurance?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Without the customers signing off on a release form I wouldn't even consider removing seats. And my release form would be written by an an attorney. And that being said I still wouldn't do it.

Arbitrarily dismantling customers cars w/o their permsission for simple carpet cleaning or detailing is opening up pandora's box. Some may choose to do so, but the liabilities are far from worth it.

Is detailing your primary form of income? Are you an LLC? Do you have liability insurance?

Ya thats probably right ...probably a bad idea just for the liability really.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely do not remove seats...a lot are tied into the air bag system and if you unplug them without disconnecting the battery you will have an air bag light on the gauges that you have to get the dealer to turn off or own a Tech II and turn it off yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I remember my dad's mechanic sharing this piece of advice on seat/seat belt bolts/fasteners. IIRC, he said that when he was a tech at a new GM dealership, GM required you to replace fasteners on belts/seats if the bolts were removed.

Post Thanks / Like

If your brain says:
    'Let's do something exciting today
    (like taking the seats out of a car)...'

Then I hope your body says:
    'Don't listen to that fool!'

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast