autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange Bubbles in Paint

Good evening Mike,

So, as the title says, there are some strange bubbles in a buddy/client's paint. He recently bought a 2015 White Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. This will be the 5th car that we have done for him and we are going to be doing his truck on Saturday. Wash, Iron-X, Clay, Paint correction, and then 22PLE. Well.......tonight I removed the side chrome molding strips from the doors and everything came out great. However, the rear passenger door had some bubbles under the chrome strip. Best I can tell (and my partner agrees) is that it was a paint defect from the factory that was ultimately covered up at the factory with the chrome strips.

My question is this. What can we do for this to correct it? For now, my buddy/client agrees that we will continue to coat the truck and whenever the time comes that the bubbles chip, I will remove them, wetsand, and then touch it up......ending with reapplication of the 22PLE in that area.

What are your thoughts (and everyone else's thoughts) on this one?

Thanks so much!

Matt

Strange Bubbles in Paint-20170713_212913-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: Strange Bubbles in Paint

I think trying to fix them i.e. remove them - will turn a mole hill into a mountain.

I'd leave them alone. It's a used truck. Learn to live with them or take this truck to a pro painter and let them fix it the right way the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that answer for sure. Thanks so much.

So are we correct in that it looks like a factory paint defect?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hanson View Post
    I like that answer for sure. Thanks so much.

So are we correct in that it looks like a factory paint defect?

That would be my guess unless that panel has been re-painted sometime over its history.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like fish eyes. Either the panel was contaminated at the factory when they painted it or at some time it was re-sprayed and someone didn't prep it correctly. I wouldn't touch it if you don't know much about painting. You'll end up regretting it most likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange Bubbles in Paint

We actually learned that the passenger side had been resprayed from a previous accident. There were many runs in the paint and there were other bubbles we found. We went ahead and corrected most of the paint and then applied the 22PLE afterwards. It came out quite well and I really like the way that bad boy shines in the sun. Almost blinding. Lol

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Bubbles in paint are either rust under the paint or solvents that did not release before the next layer of paint was applied. Either way, it's outside what you can do as a detailer, it's is body shop territory and it involves a repaint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actually a known issue with 2014-2016 ram trucks. The dealer is taking care of mine under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hanson View Post
    Good evening Mike,

So, as the title says, there are some strange bubbles in a buddy/client's paint. He recently bought a 2015 White Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. This will be the 5th car that we have done for him and we are going to be doing his truck on Saturday. Wash, Iron-X, Clay, Paint correction, and then 22PLE. Well.......tonight I removed the side chrome molding strips from the doors and everything came out great. However, the rear passenger door had some bubbles under the chrome strip. Best I can tell (and my partner agrees) is that it was a paint defect from the factory that was ultimately covered up at the factory with the chrome strips.

My question is this. What can we do for this to correct it? For now, my buddy/client agrees that we will continue to coat the truck and whenever the time comes that the bubbles chip, I will remove them, wetsand, and then touch it up......ending with reapplication of the 22PLE in that area.

What are your thoughts (and everyone else's thoughts) on this one?

Thanks so much!

Matt

Strange Bubbles in Paint-20170713_212913-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like braille for "Coatings Only".

Post Thanks / Like

Either bubbles or dust nibs. As Mike said, as a detailer, I wouldn't touch it... rather let a body shop take care of it.
    Nibs are easy to get out with the small 3M de-nibbers kits... but best to leave to a pro autobody guy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast