autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove rust at the center of a dent

I'm new to these forums and wasn't able to find an answers to a questions like mine. I'm also not exactly sure which sub-section of the forum would be the best place to put this so I apologize if this isn't the right place.

My parking spot at my previous apartment was underneath the a bunch of balconies one above the other. About a year ago I came out to my car to find large chunks of rock/cement/stone lying on and around my car with a bunch of very small, circular dents on the front area of my roof, just a few inches above where the top of the windshield meets the roof. A couple months ago I noticed that those small dents are started showing a little bit of rust, basically at the center of each dent about the diameter of a pencil eraser or smaller. It's nothing big and you have to look for it to notice it but now I'm starting to worry that the rust will spread. I'm thinking about taking some touch up paint and covering them up but I know I have to take care of the rust somehow. I also don't know if it's the actual metal rusting or maybe just rust that's accumulated on the surface (if that's even possible). I say this because the dents didn't look scratched up at all when I examined them the day I found those rocks on my car. It didn't look like paint had come off in any large amount, and it certainly didn't look like it had gone through the base coat and the primer which is what I understand has to happen in order for the rust to occur.

I was thinking of using a clay bar to try to remove the rust if that might work since it's such a small amount. I would like to avoid sanding or grinding down the car if possible. I don't really care about how great it looks or how perfect it looks either. I just want to either get the rust off or neutralize it and cover it so it won't come back. I'll try to post a picture of what it looks like since it's hard to describe and I don't think I've really explained it too well. How can I take care of this? Also, I'm trying to do it as cheaply as I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove rust at the center of a dent

I would try some metal conditioner and a q-tip. Metal Conditioner is a body shop item you can find at an auto paint store. It's used to chemically clean metal prior to paint.

Another option is a rust converter. That is available at most auto parts stores and even in the auto section of some dept stores. Just dab it on, let it cure, and paint over it.

Post Thanks / Like

2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BigSank View Post

I'm new to these forums and wasn't able to find an answers to a questions like mine. I'm also not exactly sure which sub-section of the forum would be the best place to put this so I apologize if this isn't the right place.
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

My parking spot at my previous apartment was underneath the a bunch of balconies one above the other. About a year ago I came out to my car to find large chunks of rock/cement/stone lying on and around my car with a bunch of very small, circular dents on the front area of my roof, just a few inches above where the top of the windshield meets the roof.

A couple months ago I noticed that those small dents are started showing a little bit of rust, basically at the center of each dent about the diameter of a pencil eraser or smaller.
    Bummer man...

I was thinking of using a clay bar to try to remove the rust if that might work since it's such a small amount.
    That might work if it's just a little topical surface rust. Even rubbing a quality compound to the affected area would act to clean and abrade the surface to remove the rust while also cleaning the paint to prep it for a next step.

I would like to avoid sanding or grinding down the car if possible. I don't really care about how great it looks or how perfect it looks either. I just want to either get the rust off or neutralize it and cover it so it won't come back.
    Function over form

I'll try to post a picture of what it looks like since it's hard to describe and I don't think I've really explained it too well.
    You did a great job of using a keyboard to describe their location and what they look like and their size. That said, a picture would help.

How can I take care of this? Also, I'm trying to do it as cheaply as I can.
    A real simple approach would be to,

1: Clean the area really well like described above clay or compound till the surface is rust free.

2: Wipe the affected area with some Isopropyl alcohol to get the surface surgically clean.

3: Get some clear touch up paint or get some touch-up paint that matches the color of your car and dab some into the center of these defects.

Tips here,

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Get a clean, dry microfiber towel or something like a Q-tip swab. In this example I using a clean, microfiber towel.

Wrap the microfiber towel around your index finger...

Dampen the microfiber towel with some Isopropyl Alcohol...

Place the tip of your finger against a chipped area and gently twist your finger tips against the chipped area. Don't get too aggressive or you might mar the paint.