autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailer destroyed my leather seats?

I have a 2013 Tundra I took to get detailed. Which I regret now as the driver seat looks worse now. The seat has a bunch of small pieces of leather that are roughened up. It looks like they took a green scotch pad to it. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailer destroyed my leather seats?

Hey Ryan, welcome to Autogeek! We have plenty of members that will offer advice. A picture of what you are describing would be a tremendous help so we can better see what your dealing with.

Do you have any ideas what the detailer actually did or used in the seats? Did you ask him/her why the seats turned out how they did?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Ryan. Yes a few pictures will help paint a clearer picture about next steps.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcome I'll post pics in morning. Detailer claimed seats were already like that. I have no idea what they used. The leather feels different now as if the coating had been removed. The truck only has 23,000 miles so the seats are still fairly new.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends. I just did a Lexus SUV with tan leather. There was so much blue jeans dye transfer on them that it masked the true condition of the leather. The analine coating had worn off the bolsters where the driver's leg made contact when getting in and out of the car. I showed this to the owner and showed him why I was not willing to scrub more of the dye transfer off. It was pulling the coating off with it. So your answer is "It depends." The owners were not exactly the most in shape people, let's say. Pictures would help as it's very much possible that the detailer didn't do anything to your seats that wasn't already there.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailer destroyed my leather seats?-img_20170711_172342-jpg
    Here is a pic it's all over the front of driver seat. As stated before the truck has very low miles and is like new condition. The detail shop claimed they didn't know who worked on my truck or what they used. They did refund my money.

The seats were not dirty or stained before so I'm confused on what happened to the driver seat

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a cat got in there and clawed the crap out of it

Post Thanks / Like

So they don't know who worked on it, or what they used, but they claim the seat was already like that?

Is the damage localized to a certain part of the seat or a specific orientation that would suggest wear from the user?
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like too strong of a cleaning chemical was used and peeling of the dye has happened.

I would first take it to a upholstery shop and get their opinion before trying anything else. If you want to try it I would recommend a leather conditioner like Lexol and see if it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan6864 View Post
    Here is a pic it's all over the front of driver seat. As stated before the truck has very low miles and is like new condition. The detail shop claimed they didn't know who worked on my truck or what they used. They did refund my money.

The seats were not dirty or stained before so I'm confused on what happened to the driver seat
    Very odd response, as someone mentioned how don't they know what products they use or who is doing what vehicle? I'm sure they can find this information out for you if not something is seriously wrong. To me, the fact that they denied or were ignorant to everything means that they know they messed up. If you paid a lot for the detail, use that money to get the seat properly redone. If you didn't pay much, perhaps spending more money for a good detailer would be worth it. The best option is stick around here and learn a lot then do the work yourself. Detailer destroyed my leather seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast