autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Vintage Vinyl deep clean and protect ( Help )

Hello AG ,
    I am fortunate to own a decent size collection of 60's and 70's vintage muscle cars and trucks. As most of you know those
    ERA vehicles used vinyl extensively. That being said I am looking to deep clean the vinyl and then protect it. Absolutely don't want that slippery final finish that leaves you on the floor board under hard braking or sliding off the seats in corners plus I can't stand that oily feel and look. Need product recommendation and then a few simp,e technique situation as not to damage the vinyl in any way. The vinyl is original in most of my collection, great shape but original so I am always super careful not to use anything but warm water with a small drop of detergent...that's no longer cutting it as I feel I need to clean and protect
    now in order to keep it nice for the next guy or gal to come after me as my days are now officially numbered...thanks for any help in advance...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vintage Vinyl deep clean and protect ( Help )

This thread should help:

How To Restore and Protect a Vinyl Top using 303 Products

I'm a big fan of 303 Aerospace products.

I hope that helps.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Where in NY are you? Maybe someone can come help or give you some samples (I would if we are close)

I would try Meguiar's M40 Vinyl cleaner and protectant, Meguiar's D101 APC then maybe Meguiar's D140 Hyper Dressing at like 2:1 so its not too greasy.

I dont think there will be a problem with most waterbased dressings you can get here on AG if you wipe off the excess.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars #40 is really nice stuff. Might be just the type of thing you're looking for. Tried and true.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all....going to try Meg's 40..

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DZ302 View Post

Hello AG ,

I am fortunate to own a decent size collection of 60's and 70's vintage muscle cars and trucks.

As most of you know those ERA vehicles used vinyl extensively.

Lucky you.

And the vinyl in these vintage cars and trucks is REAL vinyl, not a "form" of vinyl that is made using recycled plastic from the recycle bin we all drop our water bottles and other plastic items into.

I agree with others recommendations. I like 303 Aerospace Protectant, it's a solid performing product. Not sure how long it's been around. I know Meguiar's M40 has been around at least since the 1980's and probably even longer back to the 1970s.

The M40 has some light chemical cleaning ability and you want this for restoring and even maintaining vintage vinyl surfaces. Plus you can purchase it by the gallon.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #40 Vinyl & Rubber - 1 gallon

I have a lot of positive experience using this product on classic cars with vinyl interiors, the way I use it is to spray down a normal, cotton terrycloth wash cloth like you probably have in the linen closet and then use this to make a wet-pass over the surface to be cleaned, if the vinyl is neglected then gently scrub with the M40 dampened wash cloth, then allow the conditioners to penetrate for a few minutes and then wipe the surface dry using a clean dry microfiber towel.