autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

how to apply Gtechniq crystal serum dumb questions

HI, Im about to apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum light on my cars (1st time doing this), I have few questions from the instruction that I was not totally understand.

1."...Soak the application pad with two full measures from the pipette and work the liquid into the pad to get an even saturation...
    ....Apply with applicator provided in overlapping strokes to an area roughly 2’ x 2’..."

So after applied 2 full measures from the pipette, I work onto the paint surface in a small 2x2 area, then I REAPPLY ANOTHER 2 FULL MEASURES FROM THE PIPETTE before continue to the next area (let say the hood/bonnet), or do I apply 2 full measures from the pipette ONLY 1 TIME, then work from 1 area to another, without add more CSL, for the whole hood/bonnet??

The bottle is only 30ml, if I use 2 full "pipette" for every small section, will it be enough a mid side sedan??
    2. Can I do 2 coats?
    3. Can I put regular wax on top of this ceramic coat (once it is completely dried)
    4. The instruction mentioned using other Gtechniq products to clean, degrease before applying the crystal serum light.... can I use other non-gtechniq products (which I already had) to clean, prep ??
    5. Last but not least: the instruction mentioned after applying the coat, removing the residue with microfiber..... how long do I wait after applying the CSL before wiping off the residue?? do I apply and wipe off right away? or do I wait 5,10....min before wiping the extra off?? and if I want to do 2nd coat, how long do I wait before applying 2nd coat??

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to apply Gtechniq crystal serum dumb questions

Quote Originally Posted by nguyenphananh View Post
    HI, Im about to apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum light on my cars (1st time doing this), I have few questions from the instruction that I was not totally understand.

1."...Soak the application pad with two full measures from the pipette and work the liquid into the pad to get an even saturation...
    ....Apply with applicator provided in overlapping strokes to an area roughly 2’ x 2’..."

So after applied 2 full measures from the pipette, I work onto the paint surface in a small 2x2 area, then I REAPPLY ANOTHER 2 FULL MEASURES FROM THE PIPETTE before continue to the next area (let say the hood/bonnet), or do I apply 2 full measures from the pipette ONLY 1 TIME, then work from 1 area to another, without add more CSL, for the whole hood/bonnet??

Apply 2 full measures one time to prime the pad and then work the area. You won't need to apply as much after the initial priming. You will be able to tell how much to add to the pad. You just need enough to spread the area you're working. If it's not spreading evenly then add a little more. The bottles I've used recently didn't come with a pipette, you have to dab it on the applicator. Which I think is better because you waist less product and it goes further.

The bottle is only 30ml, if I use 2 full "pipette" for every small section, will it be enough a mid side sedan??

You won't need to use 2 full pipettes for each section, as I mentioned above. 30ml should be enough to do a mid size sedan and have some left over.

2. Can I do 2 coats?

I have never used 2 coats or heard anyone use 2 coats of CSL. Usually it is topped with EXO but that's not necessary. EXO makes it more hydrophobic.

3. Can I put regular wax on top of this ceramic coat (once it is completely dried)

Yes, you can if you desire. Personally I wouldn't, CSL is a great coating on its own and provides great protection.

4. The instruction mentioned using other Gtechniq products to clean, degrease before applying the crystal serum light.... can I use other non-gtechniq products (which I already had) to clean, prep ??

It's okay to use other products to clean but I would stick with Gtechniq Panel Wipe for the prep before applying the coating.

5. Last but not least: the instruction mentioned after applying the coat, removing the residue with microfiber..... how long do I wait after applying the CSL before wiping off the residue?? do I apply and wipe off right away? or do I wait 5,10....min before wiping the extra off?? and if I want to do 2nd coat, how long do I wait before applying 2nd coat??

It depends on your conditions but in my experience, you want to wipe off immediately after you apply it to a section. Again, a second coat is not necessary.

Thank you
    See above in bold for reply.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Frank on what he said. I have done 7 so far this year with CSL (6 were topped with EXOv3) and did do 2 coats on one of them. The one with 2 coats was my own car and what makes me nervous about it is I ended up waiting overnight for the 2nd coat. Gtech says there is no advantage to do 2 coats but if topped with EXO that should be applied with 2 coats. Depending on the size of the car 30ml should do 2. The 2nd will go farther than the 1st. Also the EXO will go farther than the CSL.

As for prep I also would suggest their Panel wipe but otherwise I would use what ever you normally would. I have applied in temps from around 50 to 80 and always was a wipe on wipe off with no wait for it to flash. The EXO was different tho in the cooler temps the wait was about 2 mins and in the warmer temps it was under 1.

As for the applicator I used the CarPro with the suede's for most all but did use the included applicator for some tighter areas. For the wipe I used a short nap towel for the initial wipe and followed with a longer nap for the final wipe both were soft 70/30 MF.

As for the are I did at each time I did larger than 2x2 but went by each area differently. My roof I did in 4 sections and did the B pillar in that. On the sides I did the front fender as on the door as 1 and the rear fender as 2. Bt the are above the door handle I did all as one from front to back. After the 1st section with 2 droppers I used 1 or just a little more and had good coverage.
    Here is a side view of my car to give an idea of the area I covered.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, you guys instruction are very clear, and make me feel much better and confidence in doing this job

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that's nifty what you did there with the CarPro block, Ancient1.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Oh, that's nifty what you did there with the CarPro block, Ancient1.

(Sent via my mobile device...)
    That is the way the blocks come with the slit. I didn't know that till I was cutting the 3rd of the 4 I have and made it with 2 one right next to the other. I thought they were the same as the Gyeon blocks that don't have the slit. Once the slit is there a plastic razor blade makes the insertion easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the CarPro block and the suedes but I just tape the ends together on the non-application side to make it easier.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The information above helped tremendously. I have 2 more questions.
    1. Today I started painted correction process, the last step will be polishing (tomorrow) using Chemical Guys V38 (optical final polish). However, I saw Merguire offers polish/glazing product that supposed to FILL IN THE SCRATCHES, IMPERFECTIONS and make the paint look deeper, wet, more shinny...etc... Can I use this glaze to fill in the imperfection before apply the Crystal serum?? will it affect the durability, longevity, quality of Crystal serum light?? or the panel wipe solution pretty much wipe/clean them all out??
    2. Gtechniq and some members here said I can do 2 coats, so Im going to do 2 coats. The question is how long do I have to wait (after finished applying 1st coat) before I can apply the 2nd coat. I know that if I wait for too long, the 2nd coat wont stick to the 1st coat.....

Post Thanks / Like

You need to correct the paint and have it filler free before CSL or any coating.

So do not use the meguiars filler product.

I'm not familiar with v38. Like if it's heavy with oils or fillers of any sort and how hard they will be to remove with panel wipe.

Car pro Essence would work as a "filler" before CSL. But ideally again to correct paint first then clean surface then coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You do not want a glaze before you coat since it will interfere with the coating bonding with the paint. You could use the CarPro product Essence for a final polish which has some filling ability and was designed as a primer coat for CQuartz coatings. I just question using it with other coatings. As a stand alone it supposed to a one year life span and a coating like CSL is rated at 3~5 years which makes me wonder if the Essence would be the weak link in the process. For all the time and work involved prepping for a coating I want to do all I can to ensure success.

In the instructions it says to spray the cloth with panel wipe and wipe down but in the video it shows spraying the panel and wiping, I did both 1st time I sprayed the panel and wiped and when I finished I went and did the spray on the cloth and wiped on all but the one I used the Essence on.

As far as 2 coats of CSL I have seen that question asked and they said there was no advantage to doing 2 coats so didn't give a time frame for the 2nd coat. For CSL Black (which is topped with EXO) the say to top CSL with EXO from zero wait up to 24 hrs and to do 2 coats of EXO. The three vehicles I see most often are done differently, my car with 2 coats of CSL and 2 of EXO my roommates car which was done with Essence then topped with CSL and 2 coats of EXO and my brothers Escalde which has CSL topped with 2 coats of EXO. Just to see if there is any difference in longevity between them. On my car I think the time between coats on the CSL was 12~14 hrs because I was interrupted and had planned on doing with about an hour between.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast