autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

My first SIV - '77 Ford F100 pickup - best approach?

A friend of a friend brought in his 1977 Ford F100 to see what I could do. Won't get to it for a few weeks so am putting together a game plan. The truck is in good shape - pretty much stock inside and out although the owner has replaced a few hoses, exhaust, and front/rear shocks.

My first SIV - '77 Ford F100 pickup - best approach?-jeff-77-ford-f100-pickup-jpg

What's the best approach to tackle this? The paint just looks tired and faded so was thinking of using Mike's #7 rub down technique first. After that, not sure?

I have lots of products - Menzerna FG 400, 3500, Pinnacle, Sonax, and some AIO's(McKee's 360, HD Speed). Using the Flex 3401/LC Hybrid Foam pads.

I'm super-excited to take this on but a little nervous too. Any/all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first SIV - '77 Ford F100 pickup - best approach?

Siv?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

SIV - Special Interest Vehicle - a 40 year old ride seems special to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Go through all the cleaning steps and before you even attempt to correct it, use meguiars number 7 with terry towels.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post

A friend of a friend brought in his 1977 Ford F100 to see what I could do. Won't get to it for a few weeks so am putting together a game plan. The truck is in good shape - pretty much stock inside and out although the owner has replaced a few hoses, exhaust, and front/rear shocks.

My first SIV - '77 Ford F100 pickup - best approach?-jeff-77-ford-f100-pickup-jpg

What's the best approach to tackle this? The paint just looks tired and faded so was thinking of using Mike's #7 rub down technique first. After that, not sure?

I have lots of products - Menzerna FG 400, 3500, Pinnacle, Sonax, and some AIO's(McKee's 360, HD Speed). Using the Flex 3401/LC Hybrid Foam pads.

I'm super-excited to take this on but a little nervous too. Any/all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was offline and out of state over the Memorial day weekend.

First - here's the 1977 Ford Truck inserted after I downloaded and then uploaded the picture to your free gallery here on AGO

Cool classic truck with what looks like the original single stage paint. So if this truck were my product and it was IMPORTANT to the owner to preserve the original single stage paint then "Yes" I would use the #7 Rub Down Technique I outline here,

The #7 Rub Down Technique by Mike Phillips

Most detailers and probably most people would tell you to compound and polish it first and that will work too.

What most people miss is what I state in RED TEXT in the third paragraph of my original article here,

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Both approaches work it's just for some people, it's vitally important to do everything they can to preserve the original paint and for these people I would use the #7 Rub Down Technique. For others... just start with compound as they don't care as much and both approaches will results in super shiny paint.

There's NOTHING like working on REAL paint and that's single stage paint. The paint most of us work on every day is basically plastic... not paint.

Be sure to take GREAT before pictures for the reasons I outline here,

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Mike Phillips

I have lots of products -

Menzerna FG 400
    Pinnacle
    Sonax
    and some AIO's (McKee's 360, HD Speed).

All of the above will work great on this real paint as all of the above use great abrasive technology.

Using the Flex 3401/LC Hybrid Foam pads.
    Great combination for this truck.

Thanks,
    David

Don't be nervous... enjoy this project as you and everone else is going to be BLOWN AWAY with the results. I'm not kidding when I say REAL PAINT that is SINGLE STAGE PAINT polishes up like nobody's business!

And here's something I've been typing for YEARS on this forum and I hope over time some people will agree that I'm right. Here's what I type/say

The opportunity to work on antique and original single stage paint is becoming more and more rare...

For example, after YOU restore the paint on this truck no one else will get to do it (to this truck), and one more single stage opportunity is now gone.

So enjoy it.

Mike Phillips

Just to note... this old girl is suppose to show up this week or next week and I'll be doing the #7 Rub Down to the original single stage paint on her...

1959 Chevy Truck - How to restore original single stage paint by Mike Phillips - Georgia Farm Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the feedback. Always thrilled when Mike adds his expertise.

Sadly, the owner texted me and said the truck broke down on him last weekend and he's not sure it's fixable(or he isn't prepared to fork over the $ to fix it) so I'm in a holding pattern at the moment. Bummed out too as this was going to be my first Special Interest Vehicle. Have a Camry coming in tomorrow and am super excited about that(sarcasm alert)

David