autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PLEASE HELP: Tips & tricks to speed up my process?

Question for all detailers...I've been detailing at a major car lot for 4 years now. I started as a wash boy lol worked my way up to head detailer. I also have my own customer base, I am very very OCD. I have the passion, detailing is an art to me. The transformation is such a pleasuring sight, enjoying a customers excitement and compliments from my personal work. Everybody details a vehicle different, we all have that spectacular range of tricks that stand out. I am not one to brag, but I firmly believe my work is amazing. I have worked in sync with a 25yr and also a 45yr detailer, I give these guys all the respect in the world & their work is great. They each were shocked when we first did a vehicle together and both told me I've learned in 4 years what it took them 25 - 45 years. Granite, the great technology today is a factor. I am 20 years old, the older guy is much slower & very strict with his old school techniques. The younger is very adaptive, learned in the 90's, can pull off the old school work properly, but also the new school. We have tought each other much. Only problem, I'm faster than the more experienced guy, slower than the 25yr veteran. I need to speed up my pase, I've tried so many ways but I can't beat around the bush to get my finalized product to meet my personal expectations. PLEASE HELP!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PLEASE HELP: Tips & tricks to speed up my process?

A lot of times it's about expectations, yours. You probably go after that last grain of sand in the carpet, the other guy doesn't. And it's likely no one will ever see that grain. My suggestion, find things in your own process that may land in that "overkill" category. If you can't find any, then you're in trouble. Lol

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    A lot of times it's about expectations, yours. You probably go after that last grain of sand in the carpet, the other guy doesn't. And it's likely no one will ever see that grain. My suggestion, find things in your own process that may land in that "overkill" category. If you can't find any, then you're in trouble. Lol
    Thank you, great advice! You are correct, I go for it. I gotta learn to let some things ride with the car lol

Post Thanks / Like

What tools are you using? Tools can certainly speed up the job.

Tornador blaster really makes quick work of the cruddy stuff in the interior.
    A carpet brush on a cordless drill really brings up the dirt and sand out of carpets quicker.
    Squeegee all glass that the squeegee will fit.

Products:
    No touch wheel cleaners get a lot of grime off before you start scrubbing.

Post Thanks / Like

If possible, video tape yourself working, it's boring as hell, but you will spot inefficiencies. Ensure you have a cart or bins with products for specific tasks. Don't keep walking around the car to get products. Take a minute to evaluate the condition and determine what you need to do and nothing more. If the shop has a set procedure, limit yourself to the procedure and set reasonable expectations of the results .
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    What tools are you using? Tools can certainly speed up the job.

Tornador blaster really makes quick work of the cruddy stuff in the interior.
    A carpet brush on a cordless drill really brings up the dirt and sand out of carpets quicker.
    Squeegee all glass that the squeegee will fit.

Products:
    No touch wheel cleaners get a lot of grime off before you start scrubbing.
    I agree with you there, I use the tornador black, I have a carpet brush that attaches to drill/high speed rotary, I use wire wheel cleaner on any wheels that aren't aluminum, it is an acid and eats dirt and grime quick. Rupes Mark 2 15mm Bigfoot polisher. I have access to whatever tools I want. I have a $2000 heated carpet extractor for when needed. It's all in my mind, it's my OCD. I'm a perfectionist and it works against me

Post Thanks / Like

Always remember it's the small details for the customer that makes the detail worth it foe them. It's what does the customer want? That's the main thing. To speed yourself up, you have to manage your expectations based on what the client is looking for.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CodyCreamer View Post
    I'm a perfectionist and it works against me

That is good when you are doing a show car like I am right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    That is good when you are doing a show car like I am right now.
    And when you can charge accordingly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    If possible, video tape yourself working, it's boring as hell, but you will spot inefficiencies. Ensure you have a cart or bins with products for specific tasks. Don't keep walking around the car to get products. Take a minute to evaluate the condition and determine what you need to do and nothing more. If the shop has a set procedure, limit yourself to the procedure and set reasonable expectations of the results .
    Will try this out forsure. I have a cart and everything right here next to me but never heard of the video taping. Great idea!!