autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cquartz in high heat

Hi all, hope I can get a little help with this. I applied Cquartz to my truck and left it on too long and had a very hard time removing high spots.
    This weekend I ended up polishing the hood and front fenders to remove it and reapply. With the temp here being about 89*F and 57% humidity, there was no time to let it sit. Pretty much by the time I applied it to a panel I had to immediately remove excess. Also had to work in very small sections. My hood was done in about 6 sections (2013 silverado). Does that seem about right for those of you that apply Cquartz in high temps? I am still on the fence about, very good water beading and was nice to wash, but very finicky installing.
    I am almost tempted to give up and try menzerna power lock which has good reviews. As well as just trying reload. How durable has power lock and reload by itself been in your experiences?
    Thanks!!!
    Cory

Oh forgot, applying Cquartz seemed to work best if I made several passes with the applicator pad to the point there was not really any high spots. Did I remove too much of it perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cquartz in high heat

I wouldn't say 6 sections for a Silverado hood is excessively small sections. When I did my Tahoe with CQ UK, I probably broke the hood into at least 8 sections.

And yes, one is supposed to apply and repeatedly wipe the coating in a cross hatch fashion per given section area, first one way, then the other.

I did this until satisfied each area was completely covered in product, and a minute or two at most later came behind and wiped with a Carpro Boa Towel.

The finish looked so even, level and perfect, it was like I really didn't need the towel wipe after, but I did to follow orthodox application.

Doubt you removed too much, and that you are fine.

I had an acquaintance do a similar thing as you, waited too long to wipe to level. Then had to re-buff as you had to.

Neither Menzerna Powerlock, and Reload combined will have anywhere near the longevity, or the durability-mar resistance of CQuartz IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

MarkD is spot on, humidity impacts just about all the coatings I have tried. Next time just do a small test area to see how the coating is reacting then follow on to the rest of the vehicle. This concerns every coating not just CQuartz. BTW CQ is far superior to the Powerlock and is definitely worth the extra work

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Makes me feel better about wiping with the applicator until it is completely leveled out.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline