autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What should I charge to detail a 45ft motor coach?

Hello fellow detailers,

So I am 17 years old and based here in North Carolina, and I have a very valued client of mine that needs his top of the line, Newell 45ft Motor Coach detailed. I will do a wash and wax, wheels, tires, roof, door jambs, vacuum, leather clean condition, and any furniture, basically till there isn't a spec of dust. Also, are there any supplies that would make the job easier? This will be taken on solo. Much appreciated!

JNB Detailing
    @jnbdetailing
    jnbdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should I charge to detail a 45ft motor coach?

I'm at $20 / ft. for inside and out on RV's here in western Wa. As far as products I use Megs RV / Marine line on the outside for wax and oxidation removal. Inside I use regular household cleaners with the exception of leather, that I use Griots 3-1, works great!

Good luck!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should I charge to detail a 45ft motor coach?

First, good for you! You have an impressive portfolio and good reviews on your website. Keep up the great work!

As far as what to charge, I tend to figure how long it will take and then quote according to my hourly rate, but also think "What would I be happy to get for a hard day's work?". Different markets bear different pricing. I know most people charge per foot though (like Firehouse Mike said).

I'd plan for this to take 2, probably long, days. You're basically cleaning a small house, and detailing a huge vehicle. For the house portion, I would do just like Mike said.

Will you be using a machine to apply the wax or applying it by hand? About how old is the RV, and does it need a cleaner wax or not?

If by hand and it's in good condition, I'd recommend Ultimate Fast Finish, providing the Newmar is Base coat/clear coat (I know at least some of them are). With a vehicle of this size, you want to cut down on the number of times you have to climb up and down a ladder. UFF is a wipe on/wipe off product with long-lasting protection and good looking finish. You could probably do the whole RV with one can, although it wouldn't hurt to have a second just in case. I've used one can on: 35' RV (minus the top), 2-3 motorcycles, 1 Toyota Highlander, probably 1-2 other vehicles I've forgotten about, and 2 bathroom vanities (after buffing them with #105 and an MF cutting pad - they looked great!) and it still feels like there's a fair amount left.

I would highly recommend a quality brush with an extension handle for washing the roof and the sides, if you can find one that is not going to cause any swirls.

I would recommend confirming with the manufacturer whether the roof is designed to stand on or not (rather safe than sorry, in my opinion, and if you have the model name or number you should be able to call them and find out pretty quickly). While you're at it, if you don't already know, find out what is on the roof and whether it will need to be protected.

I suggest taking good notes as you're working on how long each step takes. I usually just write down my start time, write down the time I finished washing, etc. To me this helps me to bid future jobs more accurately.

Just a few things that come to mind. Also, don't forget plenty of extension cords, long hoses, and a good stepladder, probably an 8'.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300