autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: rotary polisher

Post Thanks / Like

rotary polisher

new to detailing been over a year now i use the flex 3401 been getting a lot more boat details and am looking to use the flex light weight rotary polisher but i need to know how to use it right so if you could help in that area i thank before hand

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rotary polisher

Welcome to the group. This should get you started.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...detailing.html
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye24 View Post
    new to detailing been over a year now i use the flex 3401 been getting a lot more boat details and am looking to use the flex light weight rotary polisher but i need to know how to use it right so if you could help in that area i thank before hand
    This is my personal experience with flex rotary.Awesome when used on cars not awesome on boats and planes.It's gets extremely hot to where you can't hold the head of the machine.If it gets to hot from being overworked it will go into a safe mode and shut down till it cools off.Buy a makita half the price with zero problems it's a little heavier than the flex but you will get use to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jeff, the Flex PE14 is great for cars, but not made for the heavy duty use of boats.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks for the input about the flex polisher am happy to hear that it would be a better choice to buy a maktia that was my 2nd choice now saying that what speed setting would be safe for me to use on the maktia and still get good results

Mike Phillips

I use the FLEX PE14 rotary polisher to buff out boats but I also stick to smaller pads. FLEX states to use 8" pads and smaller on the PE14 and I use 6.5" and 7.5". Just recently Lake Country introduced a 6.5" wool cutting pad and that's what I use in my boat detailing classes for the PE14 and the students.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

This is my personal experience with flex rotary. Awesome when used on cars not awesome on boats and planes.It's gets extremely hot to where you can't hold the head of the machine.

If it gets to hot from being overworked it will go into a safe mode and shut down till it cools off.

Buy a makita half the price with zero problems it's a little heavier than the flex but you will get use to it.

Jeff's right about the FLEX PE14 getting hot but Jeff is a MACHINE and he knows how to use and punish a buffer.

I've buffed out boats using the DeWALT 849X and it got so hot I couldn't hold the body without burning my hand. I'm guessing if I punished a Makita it would get just as hot.

And like Jeff said, the FLEX will turn itself off to protect your investment. The DeWALT and the Makita will not turn themselves off and protect your investment.

This is how you lean into the buffer.... and this is why they get hot

DeWALT 849X sans handle and grabbing the rubber overmold on the head of the unit and the pushing down hard...

ok thanks for the input about the flex polisher am happy to hear that it would be a better choice to buy a maktia that was my 2nd choice now saying that what speed setting would be safe for me to use on the maktia and still get good results

If you're going to go with a FULL SIZE rotary buffer, (the FLEX PE14 is a compact size, not a full size), then I'd recommend going with the DeWALT 849X like you see me using above. About the same price as the Makita an in my opinion a tank of a buffer.

As for speed settings, it's easier to buff using a rotary for doing HEAVY compounding work with wool pads in the 1500 RPM to 1800 RPM range. You can prove this to yourself simply by buffing at low speed and then buffing at high speed and see which speed is easier for your to maintain control of the pad and buffer.

Also you want to learn how to go up on edge when buffing out boats, you reduce the size of your pad footprint and this makes the tool easier to use as it won't try to hop around, (called buffer hop), and tire you out.

Asking questions is a good idea and guys like Jeff really know their stuff. At the end of the day though... the best way to learn is to put hours behind the buffer.

For sure get a steel spur and clean your wool pads often. A clean wool pad buffs a lot easier than a dirty wool pad with caked-on compound and dead gel-coat you've buffed off the hull.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the Flex14-2-150 was designed for backing plates up to 150mm (roughly 6 inches).
    Therefore, it would be a bit underpowered for the heavy use of boat polishing with larger pads.
    But Flex has the PE14-1-180, probably more suited and beefed up for the job.