autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Rust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnuff View Post

I know what your talking about. Clean the rust off with a wire brush and brake cleaner then a light sanding then mask out then paint.

Use high heat paint a few coats would due then your good to go. Oh and couple coats of high heat clear as well.

Agree.

And like mentioned, let the paint fully dry before re-installing the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do them in silver or black, imo i think black looks best.

Post Thanks / Like

Rust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0396-jpgRust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0395-jpg

Sorry for the delay in posting the above pictures of my 2014 MDX rotors. The ring is definitely out of the line of spin from the brake pads. I am not sure if the rust colored ring is called the rotor hat but whatever it is I would like to know if and what anyone has done to remedy this ugly looking ring on the rotor. I like the idea of masking the rotor off and painting it a silver mat color or something.

Below is a picture of my Sienna rotor. It is obvious the makeup of the rotor is different since the inside ring is a silver color and not a rust color.

Rust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0397-jpg

Thanks,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Oh shoot, that's a tiny ring, you should see my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the whole hat was rusty

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely wouldn't recommend putting anti seize between the rotor hat/hub and the mounting surface of the wheel. Anything in that area can prevent the wheel from seating 100% flush. If the wheel isn't flush against the mounting surface it can eventually loosen and possibly fall off.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Rust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0398-jpgRust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0401-jpgRust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0399-jpg

I realize this is my wife's dd and it is no show car. I probably never repair all the tiny rock chips, or remove every one of the scratches, but I just figure if I am going to spend the time applying M105/M205 then topping it with ULW (which I happen to think looks nice), and go the distance to clean the barrels of my rims I would like to remove this rust ring if possible.

BTW is the ring called the rotor hat?

Thanks,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    Rust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0396-jpgRust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0395-jpg

Sorry for the delay in posting the above pictures of my 2014 MDX rotors. The ring is definitely out of the line of spin from the brake pads. I am not sure if the rust colored ring is called the rotor hat but whatever it is I would like to know if and what anyone has done to remedy this ugly looking ring on the rotor. I like the idea of masking the rotor off and painting it a silver mat color or something.

Below is a picture of my Sienna rotor. It is obvious the makeup of the rotor is different since the inside ring is a silver color and not a rust color.

Rust colored ring runs the inner circumference of brake rotor-img_0397-jpg

Thanks,
    Ron
    Paint that small area if it is bothering you. There are various caliper paint kits on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I definitely wouldn't recommend putting anti seize between the rotor hat/hub and the mounting surface of the wheel. Anything in that area can prevent the wheel from seating 100% flush. If the wheel isn't flush against the mounting surface it can eventually loosen and possibly fall off.
    Really? Anti-seize might be a little extreme, but you're saying a even a film of grease might cause the wheel to come loose? I'd kind of presume after 100 ft-lbs on each lug that it would squeeze pretty much everything out of there. I've never heard of that, but I know you spent a lot of years in the business. I don't usually grease that surface, but I frequently will grease (white lithium) the hub diameter so the wheel doesn't get stuck on.

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    BTW is the ring called the rotor hat?
    No, the hat is the smaller cylinder that extends out and meets the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Really? Anti-seize might be a little extreme, but you're saying a even a film of grease might cause the wheel to come loose? I'd kind of presume after 100 ft-lbs on each lug that it would squeeze pretty much everything out of there. I've never heard of that, but I know you spent a lot of years in the business. I don't usually grease that surface, but I frequently will grease (white lithium) the hub diameter so the wheel doesn't get stuck on.

No, the hat is the smaller cylinder that extends out and meets the wheel.
    I understand what your saying, but years of investigating all wheel offs it was determined that the biggest problem was something between those two surfaces. For years we visually inspected all hubs, held the wheels in place on the hubs, specific pattern tightening lugs, use torque stick so they didn't get over torqued, dropped it half way and torqued in a star followed by a circle. That didn't completely solve the problem. Now every hub and the mounting surface on the wheels have to be buffed.
    When you torque the lugs to spec the torque is holding two clean dry pieces of steel together. After anti seize is added now your holding two surfaces with no grip against each other. Will it definitely make a wheel fall off, no...will a little bit of rust always make a wheel fall off, no. Is it possible it could cause a problem, yes. When it comes to bolting wheels on personally I won't take any chances. I don't care if it's something that could only have a one in a thousand chance of causing a wheel to come loose, I won't chance it. I've heard about the aftermath of wheels coming off on the highway. Not the company I worked for thankfully, but a big all terrain tire and wheel coming off on the highway and going through the windshield of oncoming traffic. Multiple fatalities. I would hate to have to live with something like that. Everything from all my years experience tell me using anti seize is asking for problems.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast