autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique: Time vs Technique

Hey AG,

I recently read somewhere that leatherique works best when left on leather for a few days. In the +12 time's I've applied it, I used it on scorching hot days to "open the pores" of the leather. I applied it for a max of 6-8 hours and results where fairly good. In the post that I read, someone claims that after leatherique is left on leather for 2-3 days it really starts to pull up dirt from deep down.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone left leatherique sitting on their leather for more than 1-2 days? I was never able to test this myself as doing cars commercially you only have a few hour window with the clients car. When have YOU noticed the best results from leatherique?
    It's never too late to learn a little.

Mike Phillips

Re: Leatherique: Time vs Technique

Quote Originally Posted by kdubski View Post
    Hey AG,

I recently read somewhere that leatherique works best when left on leather for a few days. In the +12 time's I've applied it, I used it on scorching hot days to "open the pores" of the leather. I applied it for a max of 6-8 hours and results where fairly good.

In the post that I read, someone claims that after leatherique is left on leather for 2-3 days it really starts to pull up dirt from deep down.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone left leatherique sitting on their leather for more than 1-2 days? I was never able to test this myself as doing cars commercially you only have a few hour window with the clients car. When have YOU noticed the best results from leatherique?

Since you posted this in the

Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!

I want to chime in.

Great questions, I don't have any answers.

Most leather is coated, which in simple terms means it's more like vinyl that dead cow skin.

I don't know how applying something and letting it sit for 2-3 days can cause gravity to reverse and make dirt move away from the earth?

I'd do some Google searching and find the website or Facebook page where you read all this information and then share the link here so the rest of us can read this info too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree with Mike. Because most modern cars have coated leather, that means products that aren't water based can't even make it through the urethane coating. So they sit on the surface and your clothing slowly rubs it away. It does nothing for the leather. Water based products will penetrate the coating and end up in the leather. I used to use Lexol on my seats until I saw it was oil based and for that reason it made the seats less slippery. The product was just not getting absorbed at all. I switched to Leather Masters and now I apply and the seat is very shiny but just a few minutes later it's back to being matte as leather is meant to be. All of the product gets absorbed. Even when I wipe with a clean towel to remove excess, it comes out clean.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm struggling a bit with the Leatherique process, too. I like the idea and product so far, but I'm just starting on resorting a steering wheel - I don't have any experience with full seat conditioning ( but I'm planning to in the next few weeks/months since my Lexus GX needs the front seats recoated). Here is the link to the Leatherique website where they discuss the hot weather rejuvenator "steam bath" technique. http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...irections.html

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline