autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why use so many different products to remove swirls and scratches

Hey Mike, and all other forum members who wish to reply,

Is there a specific science or reason why you use so many different products to remove swirls and scratches? Example being on one of your videos you use a Pinnacle, and on another you use a Wolfgang product. For me, I usually stick with Meguiars products and start with Ultimate polish with a polishing pad but if I don't think that will remove the defects then I will start with a medium cut pad such as the HexLogic orange pad, or just go straight to the Ultimate Compound.

Thanks,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why use so many different products to remove swirls and scratches

IMO I think it is a great idea to have many other products. For compounding/polishing, I like Menzerna Products and 1 3M product. I like to get the best (for me at least) performance in the least amount of time. I have tried different brands and found their strengths and weaknesses. Over time, I have narrowed the compound/polish to Menzerna because it's best for me. For Jeweling Polish I like 3M Ultra fine polish.

Others might like the idea of choices in products. I did for a while and after trying several different brands I always went Back to Menzerna. Now I just stick with them. 3M is my newest addition for jeweling polish as IMO nothing compares.

Now for waxes and sealants.....I have a whole bunch of them....too many!

But love this forum to get opinions and insight to products before I use them. My guess you will too!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    IMO I think it is a great idea to have many other products. For compounding/polishing, I like Menzerna Products and 1 3M product. I like to get the best (for me at least) performance in the least amount of time. I have tried different brands and found their strengths and weaknesses. Over time, I have narrowed the compound/polish to Menzerna because it's best for me. For Jeweling Polish I like 3M Ultra fine polish.

Others might like the idea of choices in products. I did for a while and after trying several different brands I always went Back to Menzerna. Now I just stick with them. 3M is my newest addition for jeweling polish as IMO nothing compares.

Now for waxes and sealants.....I have a whole bunch of them....too many!

But love this forum to get opinions and insight to products before I use them. My guess you will too!
    You bet. My wife says I am OCD and she is probably right. I had a buddy who went around his house spraying clorox spray everywhere all the time. That is not the type of OCD I am. I just like a system that works so as to streamline my activities. Thanks for the tip on the 3M Ultra.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Please note. 3M Ultrafine Polish is recommended for use with rotary polishers only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sbmin View Post
    Please note. 3M Ultrafine Polish is recommended for use with rotary polishers only.
    Thanks for that. I put it on my to get list after I get proficient with a rotary.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

I like Meguiar's too.

Post Thanks / Like

Different paints or more often different clear coat finishes respond to polishes differently. Same goes for pads as well. There are literally millions of combinations available between pad and polish combos when you look at what Autogeek offers.

Throw polishers into the mix (no pun intended) and you add another variable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Different paints or more often different clear coat finishes respond to polishes differently. Same goes for pads as well. There are literally millions of combinations available between pad and polish combos when you look at what Autogeek offers.

Throw polishers into the mix (no pun intended) and you add another variable.
    So I have to assume that it is trial and error? In the end I take it that what works well on a 2014 Toyota Highlander may not work the same for a 2010 Chevy Malibu.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

If I had free access to all of the products Autogeek carries I'd use them all too! What a great way to find your favorite product.

But for us common folks who have to buy everything, I subscribe to the "find something you like and stick with it" philosophy and Meguiar's is usually my starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike is just showing you how the products work. He is demonstrating the abilities of various products from polishers to abrasives to glass cleaners. He is the Training Manager, so he has to be able to show people how to use the various products. He will use, from your example, Pinnacle on one video, and Wolfgang on another. When he is showing the Pinnacle stuff, he isn't implying that Wolfgang won't work, and vice versa. When he writes a book on the Flex 3401, he isn't saying that it is the only polisher, or even the best polisher, he is simply showing you the best way to use the polisher to get great results, and to inform you about the polisher in general. Same as when he wrote the Rupes book, he doesn't represent the Rupes system as the best, just the best way to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast