autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Whats a safe product (wax/sealant) to use to protect a wrapped car with?

Hello. I have two things.

I am talking now about detailing someones car for money .. first job for cash!

I didnt know this until now but the whole vehicle has been wrapped. I cant find this anywhere else .. but can you use a wax or sealant on wraps? I have liquid glass (the can stuff), and Meguiars Ultimate Liguid Wax along with Meguiars X-press wax (spray sealant). The liquid glass my have some type of abrasive (polish or cleaners, not sure) in it .. I dont think the Ultimate Liquid Wax does though.

on a wrapped car I would imagine nothing with cleaners or abrasives. If not one of those products then what would be another great option for long term protection on a wrapped car? Looking for more of a sealant than an actual wax.

However if only wax is safe then thats what I will use.

I have NO experience with wrapped cars and I never even thought about a wrapped car before .... surprisingly its hard to find information about wax or sealants to use on them ... except for the matte finished wraps being pretty much no to everything.

Also it is a suburban and it looks to be in excellent shape. I am only doing the outside .. foam cannon.. two bucket wash .. detail the full rims, tires, and fender wells.. dress rims, tires, and fender wells then do the outside and inside glass. Clean door jams, then apply a wax or sealant for 200. I advised i could darken the trim with a trim restore for another 50. Does that sound about fair for price since I am not doing any actual paint correction at all? also not doing anything on the inside.

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is safe to use to protect a wrapped car with?

Waxes and Sealants have filler properties that can cause staining on Wraps. (especially satin and flat wraps) to protect these types of wraps I only use Optimum Opti Seal which is a polymer sealant with ZERO fillers or gloss enhancers. I always mist 2-3 spritz per panel while still wet from your wash method and just dry it in which brings me to my next suggestion. Use Opti Seal as a drying aid to eliminate micro marring during you drying step on clear coated cars. This product can be used on glass, plastic, rubbers, vinyls, rims etc. etc. Durability is about 4-6 months on a well prepped surface.

As for your pricing question. Only you can decide what is fair but my suggestion to any job you quote is to estimate the amount of time it will require you to perform your services and then quote based on your hourly rate. You hourly rate can vary at different amounts due to your areas average household income.

Patrick
    PCB Reflections LLC
    Specializing in Corrections and Protection
    Servicing Greenville SC & Surrounding Areas

3. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Znig22 View Post
    Waxes and Sealants have filler properties that can cause staining on Wraps. (especially satin and flat wraps) to protect these types of wraps I only use Optimum Opti Seal which is a polymer sealant with ZERO fillers or gloss enhancers. I always mist 2-3 spritz per panel while still wet from your wash method and just dry it in which brings me to my next suggestion. Use Opti Seal as a drying aid to eliminate micro marring during you drying step on clear coated cars. This product can be used on glass, plastic, rubbers, vinyls, rims etc. etc. Durability is about 4-6 months on a well prepped surface.

As for your pricing question. Only you can decide what is fair but my suggestion to any job you quote is to estimate the amount of time it will require you to perform your services and then quote based on your hourly rate. You hourly rate can vary at different amounts due to your areas average household income.

Patrick
    Thanks for the reply. I need to find out if its gloss wrapped or matte. Also I forgot I did just get a gallon of Meguiars D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax. Could that be used instead of the opti seal? Are they similar? I am not familiar with opti seal. Still have the meguiars ultimate liquid wax too. no idea if it has fillers or what not.

Im going to check out opti seal now.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you if your D15601 is safe or not. I know what works for me. Hopefully someone else can chime in and also offer longevity results.

Opti Seal will change your life.. lol
    PCB Reflections LLC
    Specializing in Corrections and Protection
    Servicing Greenville SC & Surrounding Areas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Znig22 View Post
    I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you if your D15601 is safe or not. I know what works for me. Hopefully someone else can chime in and also offer longevity results.

Opti Seal will change your life.. lol
    yes it will ... at 32 bucks for 8oz .. my wallet will never be the same again lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the vinyl wrap look just like a paint job I was thinking of getting my bumper wrapped to hide the rock chips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats a safe product (wax/sealant) to use to protect a wrapped car with?

I just did a pick up that was wrapped and I used mckees n914 to wash and then​ I used mckees matte cleaner and protectant to finish it off, it came out great and the owner was very happy.

http://www.autogeek.net/matte-finish...rotectant.html

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

9. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd check out Ultima PGP or Blackfire Crystal Seal, very similar to Optimum👍

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I coated the McKee's 37 van (wrapped vehicle) In about a hour and 10 mins. That was using ladders to get the higher areas as well. On a normal sized vehicle you can get it done surprisingly fast.

McKee's 37 Paint Coating Beading Photos

check out the link to see the beading it provides.

Will be doing a full write up on the application soon! Keep an eye out for that.

really easy to use, Spray on a applicator rub it in. Wipe it off.

Vinyls are porous so use a little more sprays than usual to ensure coverage. The van is really simple to maintain & wash now.

In almost the same effort you will be providing better protection than a wax/sealant and it is almost the same effort. Also a inexpensive alternative.

13. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a fast and quick way of doing it, I suggest either Opti seal or optimum car wax. The last thing you want to do is to pay for a rewrap. There's also dedicated vinyl protectant and sealants ad well.

15. Likes TMQ liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast