autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best one step process for HEAVY swirls?

Hello. I am really trying to decide on detail packages and one of the issues I am having is time. Mainly time to do the paint if it has heavy swirls in it. I would like to offer a package that would get the swirls out and maybe leave the random deeper scratches in there. But yet not have a three step process that takes all day.

Today I did a friends white Dodge Avenger. I tried to get the deeper swirls out with a dewalt rotary at 1400- 1600RPM using a green 5.5 inch (hexlogic) polishing foam pad with Meguiars d151 Paint Conditioning Cream, didnt work well. Then Tried a yellow 5.5 inch (hexlogic) Heavy cutting pad with the D151 and it got the real light swirls out .. but a lot of the deeper swirls were there still...and there was a lot left. I used these methods with semi heavy pressure on the rotary with about 6 passes per section.

I tried the D151 because its supposed to be a good all in one with protection.. but it just could not get the deeper swirls out at all ....actual swirls .. not random deep scratches.

also tried the yellow pad with M105 on the rotary and it did get some of the swirls out.

Finally used the PC dual action at speed 5 with a microfiber cutting pad and the meguiars detailers redish compound that smells like cinnamon. That did get the light and deeper swirls out and light random scratches with about 4 to 5 passes... the issue with this is that I would probably need to go over it with a polish and then the protectant .. making that a three step process instead of a good solid one step. Hell I would MAYBE even take an option that would get the swirls out and finish down nicely then quickly apply a wax or sealant, for a two step process.

I know that there are other products out there ... maybe a manzerna one or hd speed? or something else? I didnt try the D151 with the rotary and the wool pad .. didnt think of it ... wish I did now.

I also had this same exact issue with my girlfriends white Chevy Cruze as it was heavily swirled as well. But with hers since I had the time .. I did the rotary with wool pad and M105 ... M205 polish with a green pad on the PC ... and then two coats of Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax.

also .. I know the meguairs uses the SMAT in the compounds and polishes. Which I like because I can usually get away with 4 to 6 passes and get damn near everything out. With other products that use the DAT I believe i would need to make a lot more passes to get it to break down ... which increases time by a lot.

Now that I am starting to do this again after many years I notice that a lot of cars that I drive by have heavy swirls in them.

Sooo with all that being said .. what do you all think would help out on this? Basically I want it look like I have done something to the paint for the swirls instead of a very minor difference that no one is going to notice due to heavy swirls still being there. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best one step process for HEAVY swirls?

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    Finally used the PC dual action at speed 5 with a microfiber cutting pad and the meguiars detailers redish compound that smells like cinnamon. That did get the light and deeper swirls out and light random scratches with about 4 to 5 passes... the issue with this is that I would probably need to go over it with a polish and then the protectant ..
    You said this process did succeed at getting the job done... But then you say you "would probably need to go over it with a polish"... What do mean probably? Did you need to, or not? It sounds like you're assuming instead of believing your own eyes and hands on experience with the product?

I've gone through a quart of Meguiars D300 Microfiber Correction Compound using their microfiber cutting pads and not once have I ever absolutely "needed" to follow it up with a polish because it left a haze. Sure I've followed it up with a polish, but not because I Needed to...

My advice would be to upgrade to a more powerful DA polisher, for example you could get a HF DA for super cheap and you can even use the same 5" backing plate and pads you already have and that's an upgrade done deal.

Question: Which exact microfiber pads were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm paid to do a one step I'm very up front in saying it is impossible to get the car swirl free condition. I think you're expecting way to much from a one step and if the customer wants better than you should charge them accordingly. With that being said I still try to do the best job possible, if they're paying for a one step and I don't like the way the aio are performing I will do test spots with compounds and or polishes to see if it helps. If I like the results I will just finish it off with OptiSeal. Menzerna FG 400, Megs D300 and Optimum Hyper Compound finish very well on most paints, Menzerna 3 in 1 and HD Speed are the 2 aio's I've found that correct the most while leaving some protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You said this process did succeed at getting the job done... But then you say you "would probably need to go over it with a polish"... What do mean probably? Did you need to, or not? It sounds like you're assuming instead of believing your own eyes and hands on experience with the product?

I've gone through a quart of Meguiars D300 Microfiber Correction Compound using their microfiber cutting pads and not once have I ever absolutely "needed" to follow it up with a polish because it left a haze. Sure I've followed it up with a polish, but not because I Needed to...

My advice would be to upgrade to a more powerful DA polisher, for example you could get a HF DA for super cheap and you can even use the same 5" backing plate and pads you already have and that's an upgrade done deal.

Question: Which exact microfiber pads were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I say more than likely due to what I have used in the past on my car. I guess I will need to look at it closer and also I was thinking about different color of cars .. since I know that this white one will hide a lot that would be left over from the microfiber pad.

I picked up the chemical guys microfiber cutting pads and their microfiber polishing pads.

I thought about the polisher .. really thinking about a Rupes 21 now. But I am concerned about it destroying pads due to the longer throw and getting it into the slightly more narrow places/curves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    When I'm paid to do a one step I'm very up front in saying it is impossible to get the car swirl free condition. I think you're expecting way to much from a one step and if the customer wants better than you should charge them accordingly. With that being said I still try to do the best job possible, if they're paying for a one step and I don't like the way the aio are performing I will do test spots with compounds and or polishes to see if it helps. If I like the results I will just finish it off with OptiSeal. Menzerna FG 400, Megs D300 and Optimum Hyper Compound finish very well on most paints, Menzerna 3 in 1 and HD Speed are the 2 aio's I've found that correct the most while leaving some protection.
    Ya .. I know .. I also kinda thought about the too much for an AIO process. But I was hoping for a better product/ pad combo that someone uses that gets pretty good results on heavy swirls. When you use the Menzerna 3 in 1 and the HD Speed... what pad are you using and about how many passes for it to break down?

Post Thanks / Like

If there was a one step solution for heavy swirls, why would anyone ever want two steps? You'd be shooting yourself in the foot by offering that as a cheaper option.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the 5" Megs mf cutting pad, like Eldorado said they usually finish out really well. Still on a heavy swirled car I think you're better off with a polish or compound, I know you're looking to save time but if the car is bad then you either have to accept the limitations of an aio or spend the time hitting it harder. On white usually d300(cinnamon smell) followed by Megs Ult Liquid Wax will get the car looking pretty good,ULW is pretty good at filling small swirls but the d300 cuts and also cleans white paint really good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Usually the 5" Megs mf cutting pad, like Eldorado said they usually finish out really well. Still on a heavy swirled car I think you're better off with a polish or compound, I know you're looking to save time but if the car is bad then you either have to accept the limitations of an aio or spend the time hitting it harder. On white usually d300(cinnamon smell) followed by Megs Ult Liquid Wax will get the car looking pretty good,ULW is pretty good at filling small swirls but the d300 cuts and also cleans white paint really good

Ya thats it the D300 is what I used with a microfiber cutting pad from chemical guys. It did remove damn near everything in about 4 to 6 passes .. the first 2 or 3 with a lot of pressure.

now I am not real sure what to use the D151 for ... I thought it would do a little bit better on getting swirls out.

maybe use the D151 with a polishing pad after the microfiber with D300 .. as it does have some cut and protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    If there was a one step solution for heavy swirls, why would anyone ever want two steps? You'd be shooting yourself in the foot by offering that as a cheaper option.
    Yep that is very true. I guess mainly seeing if there is a better product/pad/machine combo that would do better than what I was using or tried. The results were verrry minimal unless going to the microfiber with D300 on the PC... which I might just have to stick with in that process and then do the wax in another step. Just hope I get a lot of white cars lol. I dont think that would work very well with black cars though.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try the D301 Finishing Wax on the microfiber cutting pad, instead of the finishing. You might even be able to use the xtra cut disc too.

The D151 on a microfiber finishing or cutting pads might do the trick too. It's going to be a bit stronger than the D301.

I think you're fine with the PC. It's what I use 75% of the time. The other 25% is with a Rupes Duetto/Mini.

If you go the full cut/polish/wax, give that green pad a try with some Ultimate Compound, or M100. That's what I use to cut almost all of the time. Speed 5 or 6 with light but firm pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast