autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What to Thin Dr Color Chip Paint with?

Hi Mike and all,
    Thought that you would be one quite familiar with this System to know the answer?

I did at first search through the Forum but struck out finding the answer to this question.
    Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to Thin Dr Color Chip Paint with?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, this didn't help answer my question.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

You can thin any paint with Lacquer thinner. Just use a tiny bit first because you can always add more later. You can never remove it if you add too much.

Try testing in small cups with a small paint samples first.

Post Thanks / Like

You can thin Dr. Color Chip up to 10% with solvent-based mineral spirits. I don't think lacquer thinner is compatible with DCC paints.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Hi folks,
    Reckon one way to find out is contact the Dr C Chip folks, and I shot them this question earlier.
    Hopefully they can inform me, because this particular paint proved difficult to get a proper match.

Seems there's two different Summit Whites, one that's very white in hue, and another which is more greyish.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

Hi Mike and all,
    Thought that you would be one quite familiar with this System to know the answer?

I did at first search through the Forum but struck out finding the answer to this question.
    Thanks!

Question: Why do you want to thin the Dr. Color Chip paint?

Input...

The Dr. Color Chip paints or resins are proprietary. While some normal solvents probably will thin or dilute them this may have a negative effect on the resulting dried paint.

For the cost of the Dr. Color Chip paint system I don't know if I would start pouring other solvents into the factory bottles of Dr. Color Chip paints just in case something goes wrong.

Off hand I don't know what the "official" company answer is on this topic but since I'm friends with the guys at Dr. Color Chip I'll shoot them an e-mail, cite this thread and then get their input.

My guess would be their Sealact solvent, which is also proprietary, will act as a thinner. That's just a guess though.

Will that work?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Hi folks,
    Reckon one way to find out is contact the Dr C Chip folks, and I shot them this question earlier.
    Hopefully they can inform me, because this particular paint proved difficult to get a proper match.

Seems there's two different Summit Whites, one that's very white in hue, and another which is more greyish.

You posted this seconds before my reply.

Since you've already sent them an e-mail I not send them a duplicate e-mail. Did you send them the link to this thread? (I would have in my e-mail)

Please let us know what they say so others will benefit from the answer and this thread into the future.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    You can thin Dr. Color Chip up to 10% with solvent-based mineral spirits. I don't think lacquer thinner is compatible with DCC paints.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I misspoke. You can dilute the Sealact solution up to 10% with solvent-based mineral spirits, not the actual paint itself. My bad. Sorry about that. (I couldn't go back and edit the original post as the allotted editing time had expired.)
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Question: Why do you want to thin the Dr. Color Chip paint?

Input...

The Dr. Color Chip paints or resins are proprietary. While some normal solvents probably will thin or dilute them this may have a negative effect on the resulting dried paint.

For the cost of the Dr. Color Chip paint system I don't know if I would start pouring other solvents into the factory bottles of Dr. Color Chip paints just in case something goes wrong.

Off hand I don't know what the "official" company answer is on this topic but since I'm friends with the guys at Dr. Color Chip I'll shoot them an e-mail, cite this thread and then get their input.

My guess would be their Sealact solvent, which is also proprietary, will act as a thinner. That's just a guess though.

Will that work?

Hello Mike,
    Thanks for your reply.

So far, I have not gotten a response from the Dr Color Chip Folks on this.

This is the 1 oz glass bottle of Summit White Paint, which was way off on the match and the only way back then I could get a close match was sending them a tube of Duplicolor Factory Summit White Paint which was a correct match. They then came close enough for me to use it

It has always been tightly capped and stored in the house since I bought it.

What I have found, is that regular Lighter Fluid (Naptha) does work for cleaning the brushes and removing any of the paint from hands.

But I'd hate taking the chance of ruining this entire bottle. I'm not fancying the idea again going around for another bottle which again won't probably match first time out. (But I guess I always could send again initially a factory type touch up paint that does match as reference for them?)

If I get no answer from these folks, then it looks like I'm on my own with this bottle, and will have to experiment with a small amount of the paint, and try cutting it with either Naptha, or Mineral Spirits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast