autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe

Sorry for the late reply... been so busy... I read your PM and then got busy...

Quote Originally Posted by AttyVette View Post

Can anyone then give me a suggestion on how to correct this problem in this thread?

exactly what product I need to use to correct these etched hard water spots...
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post

CarPro Spotless.

If the water spots are TOPICAL, that is like mineral deposits sitting on the top of the surface a liquid water spot remover "may" work.

Optimum MDR is also a very good liquid water spot remover.

IF the water spots are more like Type II Water Spots or CRATER ETCHINGS then it's game over.

Even if the water spots are like Imprint Rings - I doubt you'll be able to remove them without leaving the surface dull after compounding it.

It's hard to say without doing a bunch of CAREFUL testing but in all my life I've never seen a product that will remove defects out of Lexan and leaving it looking 100% FACTORY NEW and FACTORY CLEAR and from experience this is what everyone' EXPECTATIONS are.

So if you expectations are for 100% clarity like brand new glass all I can say is good luck. And if you find a product that removes the water spots and doesn't mar or cloud the top please let us all know about it.

Mike Phillips

This article I wrote in 2012 doesn't reference all the new LIQUID water spot removers on the market because when I wrote it they didn't exist.

The INFORMATION in it about

Hard Water Spots

And what they really are and how they are removed is still just as accurate today as the day I wrote it.

It's educational and this is important because there's a lot of bad information out in the blogosphere and the Facebook world about what water spots are and how to remove them.

Using Vinegar to remove water spots

Here's another article I wrote, this one back in 2011 about water spots.

Very good pictures and definitions.

3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III

Type I

Type II

Imprint Rings - These are kind of Type I and Type II

Type III

This is all in my how-to book too...

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Click link in Signature Line below.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'm pretty sure the material you're working on is

Lexan

If you do a Google search and type in

Polishing Lexan Mike Phillips

Here's what you come up with...

Ok, I am finally going to ask the expert something!!! Hope you can help Mike (or anyone else who has any input)

I'd highly recommend reading the above thread and my post which is post #3

Here's more...

Overspray - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Help with c5 c6 corvette glass top

Corvette Glass Top Scratches - Page 2

Polishing Plexiglass

Corvette Lexan Top Cleaning

aircraft window screen

Be vary careful with Lexan plastics - they don't like to be abraded.

Thank you so much...I will read the threads you posted above..👍

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir I will do so...weather is bad here but I am going to start trying to correct this problem as soon as the rain stops. I'll take pictures and let you all know how it goes.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AttyVette View Post

Yes sir I will do so...weather is bad here but I am going to start trying to correct this problem as soon as the rain stops.

I'll take pictures and let you all know how it goes.

Please do update this thread.

I know I'm curious to see how you make out.

Post Thanks / Like

Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6888-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6889-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6890-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6885-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6886-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6887-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6895-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6896-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6898-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_6897-jpg
    Sorry pictures aren't that great and products sideways ��
    I have used so far on the transparent top for my 2014 Corvette Coupe: carpro Iron X LS, Optimum MDR, CarPro Eraser Intensive Oil and Polish Cleaner, Glass cleaning Clay from Griots with Stoner Invisible Glass - glass cleaner. None of these products have made a difference on the hard water etched deposits on the transparent top. I have ordered additional products to try to solve this problem and when they come in, I will use them next on this transparent top.

Post Thanks / Like

Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_2540-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_2542-jpgI found this product outside with my other detailing supplies so I tried it also on the etching spots on my transparent top. Word to the wise ..don't spray Plexus Plastic cleaner Protectant and Polish in your house, like I did. My dogs and I started coughing and choking from breathing in the fumes from the aerosol spray. This product didn't work either on the hard water mineral deposits/etchings on my transparent top either.

Post Thanks / Like

Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_2543-jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]55485[/ATTACH [ATTACH=CONFIG]55486[/ATTACH Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_2544-jpgWater spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_2548-jpg
    Well also found CarPro spotless in garage and tried it to..nothing changed 😞 Also used Driven glass cleaner and made things worse imo. Now I really will have to wait on new order of products from Autogeek to see if the new products can correct this etching problem even a little bit, as everything else I have tried thus far has failed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water spot etching on Transparent, tinted roof panel for C7 Corvette coupe-img_2545-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be tough to polish those
    water spots out of the "hard coat"
    film-layer that is on these panels.

Some people resort to sanding the
    hard-coat completely off, and then
    re-spraying it. Hope you don't wind
    up having to go that route.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Going to be tough to polish those
    water spots out of the "hard coat"
    film-layer that is on these panels.

Some people resort to sanding the
    hard-coat completely off, and then
    re-spraying it. Hope you don't wind
    up having to go that route.

Bob
    Thanks..yes things aren't looking too promising so far..😥

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast